Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want an alarm but don't want it monitored

Options
  • 14-12-2014 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a wired alarm installed but I don't want it to be monitored by a company, can I get an alarm installed and it ring or txt my phone,
    Any thoughts or recommendations would be great help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

That is no problem at all, you simply want a system that you self monitor.

So my advice would be to get at least 3 quotes from PSA licensed installers. Beware if you employ a guy not licensed by them both you and he could be prosecuted. A full list of installers is listed on their Web site.

Also make sure and get those quotes in writing and as per standard requirements, as in they are supposed to provide you with a Risk Assessment and a System Design.

Bear in mind that texting from telephone landlines will be discontinued by Eircom soon so make sure and get the system to ring you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks for yor reply, one more question, do I need a landline to have an alarm, for the thing to ring me, ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

buy hd ip camera will send photos to phone

make sure its hd so you can make out faces 640x480 is pretty useless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWk7ZxZi3vg

braddun wrote: »

Not really into a recording camera but might get one to see who's at my door,

ronn wrote: »
    Thanks for yor reply, one more question, do I need a landline to have an alarm, for the thing to ring me, ???

No not necessarily, you could go with IP monitoring which would alert your phone if the system activates.
    There are also GSM units which will allow for texting as these do not go via the landline. The only issue with these is they can be blocked.

• Advertisement

braddun wrote: »

A camera is not an alarm system.

What's IP ??
    Best to go with land line and a wired system,
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

What's IP ??
    Thanks again

Landlines can be cut so make sure to protect the cable.. id use both a gsm and landline

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What's IP ??
    Thanks again

IP uses your broadband connection for monitoring and remote control of your alarm via apps and Internet browser. More secure as a potential intruder has to consider how your broadband is delivered. It could be one of a number of wireless networks, mobile networks, cable, phoneline, dish etc.

Advertisement