Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB meter recording units when main switch off

Options
  • 14-12-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hello, we moved to a new house a few month back. First ESB bill was very high. After some "investigations", when looking at the ESB meter, we noticed it's still recording units even when the main switch is off (everything off in the house).

I see two connections getting out of the meter (see picture), could someone know whether that's expected?

There is only one switch box in the house. We're suspecting the neighbor house is connected to our meter. We're in a terraced house. If that's the case, would would be responsible for wiring the meter correctly, ESB owning the meter, the builder, someone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

First thing to do is call the fault department of Electric Ireland and report what you have found so as they have the evidence before the culprit removes the second feed from the meter.
    Service: 1850 372 372
    8am-8pm Mon - Sat
    Email: service@electricireland.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

put clip on amp meter on it,did you turn off the main breaker and other breakers and watch the dial

to save money,put cfl lamps up,also put plug strips with switches on all your appliences like tvs,chargers,etc and turn off at night,

https://www.pieg.com/MemberService.cfm?p=85

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    First thing to do is call the fault department of Electric Ireland and report what you have found so as they have the evidence before the culprit removes the second feed from the meter.
    Service: 1850 372 372
    8am-8pm Mon - Sat
    Email: service@electricireland.ie

I don't think the ESB will do a lot. It seem like all electricity been used is metered. No concern for the esb if that is the case. It looks like a underground cable for the second cable. Does the op have a shed on the site.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Cilar wrote: »
    I see two connections getting out of the meter (see picture), could someone know whether that's expected?

This is not permitted. It suggests that a second load is connected to your meter. If this second load is not yours a prosecution may follow.
    Contact ESB Networks immediately.
    There is only one switch box in the house. We're suspecting the neighbor house is connected to our meter.

That is a definite possibility.
    If that's the case, would would be responsible for wiring the meter correctly, ESB owning the meter, the builder, someone else?

Impossible to say. This has the potential to "go legal". The previous owner may have been paying someone else's bill for years. On that basis be careful what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

There is something suspicious about the second cable, any idea where it is going? I would disconnect it and just leave the house cable connected, it looks like a wire armored cable which indicates it is probably buried in the ground outside the house heading off to it's destination. A shed, granny flat maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

braddun wrote: »
    put clip on amp meter on it,did you turn off the main breaker and other breakers and watch the dial

to save money,put cfl lamps up,also put plug strips with switches on all your appliences like tvs,chargers,etc and turn off at night,

https://www.pieg.com/MemberService.cfm?p=85

I turned off the main breaker when looking whether the ESB was running, and it's still going. I put LED lighting everywhere and A++ appliances in the house when moving (quite a big investment tbh), this would not explain 300 euros bill (immertion is off, heating is gas). I see 300 units gone in 7 days from monitoring the meter. It must be connected to the neighbor house, I don't see another explaination.

I'll get ESB again, but I heard that they bill 400 euros if the meter is not faulty (which is probably not the problem here - meter is recording units for 2 houses I believe).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭lynchieboy

Disconnect the second cable and let the other person contact the ESB.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Interesting article here.
    Report any suspected meter tampering confidentially by phoning Lo-call 1850 211 827; emailing: REVP.esbnetworks@esb.ie or ringing the ESB Newtworks emergency number 1850 372 999.

lynchieboy wrote: »
    Disconnect the second cable and let the other person contact the ESB.

Don't do this. The cable is live and it is not possible to make it dead without breaking an ESB seal which is illegal. You also destroy the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mr67stag

As stated do you have an outdoor shed or outside lights.
    If you dont have any Thing like this as in power remote/outside house then somethng is connected that should not be.
    From the look of the second cable it known as an swa used for underground and outside applications.
    Have a close look at metre seal as it can be broken and PUSHED back in looks good from distance.
    You should contact the ESB immediately ,even though the power is metered they may give you some brush off if so tell them your metre is not reading all the power and they will come pretty quickly , believe me.

• Advertisement

mr67stag wrote: »
    As stated do you have an outdoor shed or outside lights.
    If you dont have any Thing like this as in power remote/outside house then somethng is connected that should not be.
    From the look of the second cable it known as an swa used for underground and outside applications.
    Have a close look at metre seal as it can be broken and PUSHED back in looks good from distance.
    You should contact the ESB immediately ,even though the power is metered they may give you some brush off if so tell them your metre is not reading all the power and they will come pretty quickly , believe me.

+1
    Good post.

No outdoor shed, no outside lights. I'll push again on ESB to take a look. Thanks you all for confirming it's definitely looking suspicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

from looking at your photo it looks like two feeds coming out
    call the electricity company to disconnect it

Cilar wrote: »
    No outdoor shed, no outside lights. I'll push again on ESB to take a look. Thanks you all for confirming it's definitely looking suspicious.

Email them at the address above. Quote your MPRN number, you will find this on your bill. Attach the above photo to the email and shout "Fire in the hole!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Frankly the way this is wired up it looks like a serious hack job to me.. Can't say for sure about regulations here, but back home (in The Netherlands) this installation would be illegal and you would actually be liable for not reporting it once you notice this.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Do you have an extension?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Your rec can disconnect that second cable as in that particular meter there is a cover where the tails are connected and this is where the rec connects and should put on his own seal. There is also an isolating switch under this cover.
    The information of having to cut esb seals is incorrect in this example, also no tampering so to speak has occured here.

No extension (and no outdoor shed, no outdoor light). It's a 3 story house btw, not sure this change anything. When I turn the main breaker off, everything (on all floors) go off but ESB meter still recording units.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How much is the meter spinning when everything is off.

Have a look at different times of the day turn all yours off and see is it same speed or faster especially in the evenings as if its tapped then it will be drawing more.

Do you know any electricians that could take a look before esb get back.

Would be great to catch the person if it is a tap off from yours.

keep us posted op.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is there any visible signs of the cable outside the box, footpaths that had being chased out etc?

• Advertisement

This is a long shot:
    Turn off the main switch on your board and see if your electric cooker or instantaneous electric shower works (assuming that you have these units). This is not how those units should be wired, but people do crazy things and they are the only loads that would require a cable that size that you are likely to have.

Ringing the esbn or getting them to look at the installation is pointless as no tampering has been done or their side.

Your rec can disconnect that second cable as in that particular meter there is a cover where the tails are connected and this is where the rec connects and should put on his own seal. There is also an isolating switch under this cover.

Not in this meter, it is the older type.
    The information of having to cut esb seals is incorrect in this example, also no tampering so to speak has occured here.

Even if this is the case, why destroy the evidence?

Ringing the esbn or getting them to look at the installation is pointless as no tampering has been done or their side.

Connecting your premesis to someone else's meter is tampering and is an offense (fraud).

2011 wrote: »
    Not in this meter, it is the older type.

Incorrect look again.
    Even if this is the case, why destroy the evidence?

What evidence no tampering has occured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I would advise getting a registered electrical contractor out first

I would check the cable sizes just in case the original electrician put 2 cables in instead of a 16mm main cable
    (He should not have done this)

The Esb leave this type of meter to be sealed by a registered electrical contractor.
    Can you post a clearer picture of meter and seals
    There should be 2 seals

If you contact Esbn they may request a new certificate so if you have a contractor on board first I think it's best

If he checks cables and consumer unit and finds nothing wrong then contact Esbn.

I agree that if there is a problem then do not disconnect services before Esbn call out.

2011 wrote: »
    Connecting your premesis to someone else's meter is tampering and is an offense (fraud).

Its not an esbn tampering issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

The original rec seal should be there. I'm not sure if it is traceable.

How much is the meter spinning when everything is off.

Have a look at different times of the day turn all yours off and see is it same speed or faster especially in the evenings as if its tapped then it will be drawing more.

Do you know any electricians that could take a look before esb get back.

Would be great to catch the person if it is a tap off from yours.

keep us posted op.

It's spinning at different rate over the day. It a terrace of new houses built in 2006 and left vacant until this year with the crisis, so I think the problem must have been with the builder rather than my neighbor. We bought this summer at the same time as our neighbor. The house next door was the show house, not sure whether it might have been rented between 2006 and when my neighbor bought it this year, and something dodgy might have happened.

• Advertisement

frankmul wrote: »
    The original rec seal should be there. I'm not sure if it is traceable.

Its not there, very few rec seals them tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement