Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

:eek::eek::eek:

Has to be Lewis Hamilton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Rory McIlroy got 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    HAMILTON HAS IT!!

looks like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Terrible that the arse with the least personality won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

gubbie wrote: »
    I read it! He's said that he'd much rather have the record for the most centuries than have an SPOTY/OBE/MBE because it's a popularity contest. He's such a legend!

Still. Crazy.

Yeah, it's hard to argue with him. Dressage and blind skiers but not Snooker - madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wonder is he regretting that suit yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭micar

micar wrote: »
    between McIllroy or Hamilton

Pavey might win

had all 3.....BOOM!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

About time he won it, actually, having been runner-up twice.

Also, he's the first F1 driver to win it since Damon Hill in 1996. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Jo Pavey real winner

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Rors looking shell-shocked not to win it.

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »
    had all 3.....BOOM!!!!!

Think most people had those 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,384 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A very talented guy but I've seen more personality in a cavity block.

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Rors looking shell-shocked not to win it.

Harry Hewitt looked a little shocked as well.

Is that his Dad beaming in the audience?

He looks about 15!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

He drove the fastest out of the two people with the fastest car in a competition with 24 competitors.

Rory was robbed.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's a bit harsh naming the runners up isn't it ?bit like bullseye back in the day with the "look at what you could have won."

I don't think there's any shame in coming second or third. :o:D:);)

That's what you get for declaring for Irl Rory

Harry Hewitt looked a little shocked as well.

He did. I wonder did he have a score on Rory to win ?

Carry the Union Jack... Dig at Rory???

Route 1 to the bar for Gary.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

I thought he'd win it.

As I said earlier, his achievement is still fresh in the memory.

Also, the British public have sent a subtle up yours to UKIP and the BNP by voting for a mixed race bloke with earrings.

Well, at least the tradition of playing the old theme tune at the end is still very much intact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

"So proud to wear the Union Jack" but as soon as he started making the big bucks left his country to become a tax exile. What a knob!

@2010LeeHurst: Lewis Hamilton will only do a short speech at #SPOTY as he has to fly out again to retain his UK Tax Exempt status.

Ah well, yah boo.

Looking forward to watching the retrospective tomorrow evening - back in the good old days when it was in a normal sized telly studio, with presenters with actual voices.

Route 1 to the bar for Gary.

Route 1 to his bed.

I thought he'd win it.

As I said earlier, his achievement is still fresh in the memory.

Also, the British public have sent a subtle up yours to UKIP and the BNP by voting for a mixed race bloke with earrings.

Voting for a tax exile

Am I the only one here who's delighted that Lewis won, then? :o:o:o:o:D:);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I think that if Hamiltons win had been last summer, it would have gone to Rory

• Advertisement

Yes! Jo Pavey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Gary's voice is just about completely bricked lads as he signed off tonight.

His voice needs a well earned rest before it's get worse for him later on in the week.

Good night folks.

Probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rory didn't look one bit pleased. Glad Hamilton won.

efb wrote: »
    Yes! Jo Pavey

If Jo had won, it would have been a huge shock.

I'd have still been delighted, mind. :o:D:);)

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Rory didn't look one bit pleased. Glad Hamilton won.

I guess I'm not alone, then... :o:o:o:D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Can't believe some comments here, hard luck on Rory but Hamilton was runner up twice and in fairness he comes across always as a humble lad and a gent, great role model for kids black and white. It was a tough call but if Rory misses a putt he is not hurtling through mid air at 180 miles an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Martin567

Can't believe some comments here, hard luck on Rory but Hamilton was runner up twice and in fairness he comes across always as a humble lad and a gent, great role model for kids black and white. It was a tough call but if Rory misses a putt he is not hurtling through mid air at 180 miles an hour!

That's hardly the point. F1 drivers are risking their lives but that's their decision.

There isn't the remotest comparison between Rory's & Lewis's achievements in 2014. It isn't even slightly close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Lewis Hamilton has superior driving ability to Pubehead and that's why he won.

A most deserving winner.

Well done Lewis. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

In fairness, Hamilton was in a two horse race this year.

McIlroy had a phenomenal year and was robbed

• Advertisement

Martin567 wrote: »
    That's hardly the point. F1 drivers are risking their lives but that's their decision.

There isn't the remotest comparison between Rory's & Lewis's achievements in 2014. It isn't even slightly close.

Well it's comparing apples and oranges, I am a golfer and I hate F1, big Rory fan but Hamilton can only win races, he did that, it's a great achievement, he has a nice personality from what I can see but the old prejudice comes out in some people and they don't look at the facts, talented lad, great ambassador and people admired him enough to vote him the winner, and when you consider that this is the British public, that is some achievement! Where he pays his taxes don't matter a damn!

but the old prejudice comes out in some people and they don't look at the facts

What prejudice are you talking about? As you say "you hate F1" - I'm guessing you don't watch it but Lewis has zero personality and more often than not, comes across as a right prat. It was a 2 horse race this year so all he had to do was beat his team mate.

The sports risk factor is irrelevant for this award. Lewis beating his team mate pales into insignificance compared to the year Rory had.

I couldn't care less about anyone's personality.

Lewis Hamilton had far superior equipment in his competition compared to all the other competitors apart from Rosberg.

It would be the equivalent of Rory starting every event receiving shots from every player in the field apart from one player.

HighLine wrote: »
    What prejudice are you talking about? As you say "you hate F1" - I'm guessing you don't watch it but Lewis has zero personality and more often than not, comes across as a right prat. It was a 2 horse race this year so all he had to do was beat his team mate.

The sports risk factor is irrelevant for this award. Lewis beating his team mate pales into significance compared to the year Rory had.
    I wasn't saying you are prejudiced just the tone of the comments in on here in general. He is mixed race, talented, rich, well spoken, good looking and has a gorgeous girlfriend, which one of these factors make him come across as a prat and have zero personality?

He is mixed race, talented, rich, well spoken, good looking and has a gorgeous girlfriend, which one of these factors make him come across as a prat and have zero personality?

And this is where my discussions with you end.

Well, it's fair to say that there's never a year when everyone is happy with the winner - and that those who aren't happy are always nitpicking in some way. :o:o:o;);)

I'll admit, I was nitpicking too when Darren Clarke (yep, 'im again) didn't win in '06. In fact, I maintain to this day that some amount of manipulation was performed on the result, so as to keep the Windsors happy... :o:o:o :rolleyes: ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

Martin567 wrote: »

Not taking anything away from Rory but it does take a huge amount of physical fitness and mental strength to be an F1 driver, and the concentration levels required are like no other sport. A momentary lapse of a fraction of a second could lead to death for the drivers and others.

I'm more of a golf follower than an F1 fan and I'm convinced Rory's day will come. After all, Hamilton was runner up for this award twice. But comparing golf with motor racing is not comparing like with like. Hamilton deserves his award.

If McIlroy comes back from Georgia in April with a green jacket over his shoulder he will have this in the bag next year. Especially as there is no Olympics or major athletics championships in 2015 where individuals in other sports could take the limelight.

As for Hamilton's personality - Well to be fair, the vast majority of professional sports people have fairly dull personalities and despite it's name, the award is given for achievement (unless the winner is a princess). And his tax arrangements shouldn't have any bearing on it either.

If an Irishman won one (let alone two) F1 championship titles, you can be damn sure he'd win the RTÉ Sports Person of the year hands down. So I don't see why people here are annoyed that the British public voted for someone who gave them something to be proud of in an otherwise relatively poor sporting year for Britain.

Not taking anything away from Rory but it does take a huge amount of physical fitness and mental strength to be an F1 driver, and the concentration levels required are like no other sport. A momentary lapse of a fraction of a second could lead to death for the drivers and others.

I'm more of a golf follower than an F1 fan and I'm convinced Rory's day will come. After all, Hamilton was runner up for this award twice. But comparing golf with motor racing is not comparing like with like. Hamilton deserves his award.

If McIlroy comes back from Georgia in April with a green jacket over his shoulder he will have this in the bag next year. Especially as there is no Olympics or major athletics championships in 2015 where individuals in other sports could take the limelight.

As for Hamilton's personality - Well to be fair, the vast majority of professional sports people have fairly dull personalities and despite it's name, the award is given for achievement (unless the winner is a princess). And his tax arrangements shouldn't have any bearing on it either.

If an Irishman won one (let alone two) F1 championship titles, you can be damn sure he'd win the RTÉ Sports Person of the year hands down. So I don't see why people here are annoyed that the British public voted for someone who gave them something to be proud of in an otherwise relatively poor sporting year for Britain.

Well said. :)

Well put, you said it better than I could and apologies to highline I wasn't getting at you, it was the other bitter comments, tax? Etc Rory will be up there again in the next few years!

Mental strength and concentration are huge in professional golf. Of course the potential consequences of a lapse in concentration are more far reaching in F1 than virtually any sport but that is the same for all the other drivers too (who weren't considered for any award).

This award is surely supposed to be about achievement. The difference between their respective achievements this year is huge. I saw a comment earlier (either here or on BBC) saying that Rory will now have to win three Majors in a Ryder Cup year in order to beat a F1 driver whose only serious competitor was his teammate. I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

If Rory wins the Masters next year & nothing else, then 2015 on its own would not have been as successful as 2014. Yet you think he would definitely win it next year! It really just proves that the public who vote for these things have no idea what Rory actually achieved this year and how difficult it was.

If Eddie Irvine had won the F1 title in 2008, would he really have deserved the Irish equivalent of this award ahead of Padraig Harrington who did what only a handful of players in the history of the sport had done?

• Advertisement
Advertisement