Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

has anyone got any ideas what to do with this?

• 14-12-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi all
    I have a nelo vanquish k1 that someone sprayed badly with an aerosol can!
    I have removed some of it but as im doing so the gel coat underneath seems to be scratched. What are the options here?
    Is it possible to compound and buff the scratch out?
    Should i consider repainting?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Johny 8 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have a nelo vanquish k1 that someone sprayed badly with an aerosol can!
    I have removed some of it but as im doing so the gel coat underneath seems to be scratched. What are the options here?
    Is it possible to compound and buff the scratch out?
    Should i consider repainting?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Standard thinners should dissolve it if it is from an aerosol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

As above, thinners will remove the paint. Do not repaint it.

3 choices

1. Rub down with fine sandpaper, this will be a lot of work and unlikely to give the same effect of a new boat.

2. Re-gel coat the deck. you can change colour if you want, downside is it will add weight to the boat.

3. Take a leaf for the Polo book, get some contact, rolls of plastic wit glue on back similar to what you can get in book shops to cover school books. It won't add weight, you can change the colour when you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Johny 8

cheers for the help guys. will try them out over the christmas. where would i get the rolls of plastic with glue??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Glenalla wrote: »
    Standard thinners should dissolve it if it is from an aerosol.

Once you have the old paint removed you could always have the boat wrapped which will have it looking like new without the hassle of a respray.
    See http://www.carstyle.ie/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As long as the gelcoat isn't badly scratched or down to the fiberglass you might be able to sand it out, it's a lot of work starting out with 800 grit paper and working your way up 1000,1500, 2000 then rubbing compound and a final wax. If you have to paint it you will have to primer it first with something like Pre-kote by international and then use a topside paint when that is set hard you can sand it the same way and bring up a high gloss finish. The wrapping idea would save you a lot of work.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement