Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalgate

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Go away with that gamergate sh*te here, "metalgate" isn't even a thing, the above cherry picks a quote from an overwhelmingly positive article about the 20 best metal albums of the year, and the second thing they quote is from a Washington Post article from 2006. It's seriously reaching, it's trying to manufacture a controversy that does not exist, there are no "SJWs" coming for anyone's metal, it's just some gamergaters trying to shoehorn their stupid issues into metal and some ****ty website trying to catch some page hits by stirring the pot.

Not to mention the term "SJW" in the first place is just a nausiating meaningless term, a nebulous piece of nonsense that tries to describe anyone who might have left leaning viewpoints derisively as a "Social Justice Warrior".. But ignoring that, who are these mysterious SJWs out to ruin metal? Hmm? Care to point any of them out, or is it just a meaningless term for "anyone I don't like"?

People tried bringing this up on /r/metal on reddit, and they were promptly laughed out of it.
    No one is gonna take away your call of duties and megadeths, Dave.

There are always conversations happening about metal's issues from within the community and scene itself, like for example this interview with Paul Masvidal and Sean Reinert of Cynic, and countless more, but these are all happening within metal all the time. No phantom SJW army beating at the doors, nobody trying to ruin metal, and the only outsiders trying to shoehorn things into it are the ****ing gamergaters. That's what I think of "metalgate"

By the way, these are the only metal gates worth talking about

That last one is from the album Gates of Fire, so yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I am a gamer, love games as entertainment and as an artform, and yet I know nothing about Gamergate bar it was something to do with bought reviews and then blew into some sexism thing. The reason for that being I am interested in the games, not the scene or issues or whatever people are talking about. I think people are blowing stuff out of proportion.

Now that could be seen as being ignorant, but it's the same here. I like metal, I like many metal bands. Are there social choices, views, generalisations associated with metal, yes.
    But they don't change my opinion of the bands and music.

As for the metal 'scene'. There is a bit of old school and new metal clash, but it's pretty minor. Most people who are metal fans just like the music and the craic and get on pretty well, or are at least reasonably civil.

Whatever Metalgate is, will disapper quickly. I don't think anyone really cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"Actually it's about ethics in rock journalism"

• Advertisement

Somnus wrote: »
    and yet I know nothing about Gamergate bar it was something to do with bought reviews and then blew into some sexism thing.

Basically, Zoe Quinn made a game called Depression Quest. Her ex boyfriend claimed she slept with someone for a positive review of the game. Turns out the review never existed. This was the supposed "scandal" that started #gamergate. That's it, ranting and raging about something that never happened in the first place.

Haha! Oh that is gloriously kitsch! I love old metal videos from the 80's, you never see their like any more.

Here's some more #Metalgate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

Links234 wrote: »
    Basically, Zoe Quinn made a game called Depression Quest. Her ex boyfriend claimed she slept with someone for a positive review of the game. Turns out the review never existed. This was the supposed "scandal" that started #gamergate. That's it, ranting and raging about something that never happened in the first place.

Haha! Oh that is gloriously kitsch! I love old metal videos from the 80's, you never see their like any more.

Here's some more #Metalgate!

Not a positive review, positive press which does exist, she also slept her married boss she them dmca the info on youtube, that was kicking off point but zoe was been irrelevant for about 3 months now as more corruption and has been Found in the press.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Both sides of gamergate seem to be about taking as much offence as possible from anything at all no matter how trivial.
    Nearly all metal types* (with apologies for the generalisation) tend towards the exact opposite in my experience.

*Except for Lars and Glenn.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Whiskeyjack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Links234 wrote: »
    By the way, these are the only metal gates worth talking about

Oh, I don't know. These ones are metal gates. They're also metal gates! \m/

:pac:

twirls,b,w,fog,gate,gothic,iron-4dbdcf0208b246bb9856228cfefbde9f_h.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

From reading the above article I gained no understanding of what metalgate is or if it is actually a thing. In fact I think that it is nothing at all, just a creation of a magazine looking for some sort of attention. And yes, I hate when somebody adds the postfix 'gate' to something.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

And yes, I hate when somebody adds the postfix 'gate' to something.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

tumblr_ngmwscU0xN1tvkmtco1_400.png

Advertisement