Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billion 7800, Vodafone Profiles & Line insulation

Options
  • 14-12-2014 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have recently moved house and signed up to Vodafone broadband. I seem to be too far from the exchange to avail of the Fibre service. The cabinet that i'm on is fibre enabled. Initially when I checked the line stats I was getting about 3.5mb down even though the profile was set to i think about 6072 kbps. I rang VF and asked them could we try to squeeze a little bit more out of the line. They ran their line tests and found an insulation issue on the line coming into my house. An Eircom engineer came out and "fixed" the issue. After that I rang VF and they had changed my profile to 3072 which gave me a download speed of about 2.5mb. I tried to explain that before the fix on my line I had an extra 1mb on the line but they refused accept this and said the max I would ever get would be the 2.5 and basically to be happy about that. It turns out that there still was and is insulation issues with the line. After 4 more visits from Eircom I nabbed the engineer and he said that my line was underground and he could take a new line in over ground but that the new cables are not as good as the older ones so my speed may go down even more. I told him not too.

MY question is , would it be worth my while investing in a modem such as the Billion 780 dxl to try and get more speed out of my line? And would it be worth getting Eircom back out to replace the line.

I was suffering from dropouts on an hourly basis with the new 658c so i switched to the older 556a that I had previously and it has steadied the ship completely.

My line stats are as follows:
    Mod: g.dmt
    Upstream \Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 384 3072
    MaxRate(kbps) 1084 4992
    NoiseMargin(dB) 22.0 6.8
    Attenuation(dB) 57.0 31.5
    Power(dBm) 12.1 18.9

My neighbours stats who has an over ground line coming from the same pole as mine:

Mod: ADSL2
    Upstream \Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 380 3072
    MaxRate(kbps) 824 3576
    NoiseMargin(dB) 21.9 5.4
    Attenuation(dB) 58.5 35.3
    Power(dBm) 13.2 0.0

Do you guy think I could get anything out of the line or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Advertisement