Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cocker spaniel

• 14-12-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

just a general question on the cocker spaniel breed, am sure there are some owners maybe even breeders on boards.

we have a blue roan bitch who is 2 next march. the wife thinks the dog needs to be trimmed as her coat is silky and long,,do cockers need to be trimmed?

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭HarrietD

They can be trimmed. It is a personal choice and will keep her clean and grooming is easier. At this time of the year though she would get cold so don't take too much off or leave until warmer weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

It's not always necessary, but I get my cocker clipped every few months. She loves mud too much to keep it long, and it's sooooo much easier to look after (I don't have a bath in my house, it's an ordeal to wash her)! But definitely pick the time of year to get it done, they can catch cold quite easily going from full coat to short coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

many thanks for the replies..... my dog also loves mud and briars etc lol and of course water.
    by the way what does your adult cocker weigh in at? had mine at the vet recently and she weighed in at 15kg,, she is now done to 14 kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

A trim yeah grand but personally I hate seeing spaniels with their coat chopped to an inch of its life.. They are supposed to have flowy silky coats.

Look at this Cavalier.... butchered!

DSC04568-409x310.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Magenta wrote: »
    A trim yeah grand but personally I hate seeing spaniels with their coat chopped to an inch of its life.. They are supposed to have flowy silky coats.

Look at this Cavalier.... butchered!

DSC04568-409x310.jpg
    Talk about a close shave; they even trimmed his tail away!

• Advertisement
Advertisement