Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Waterfordians vote for 2 Independents?

Options
  • 15-12-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭

I have listened to many people speaking about how they just don't or can't imagine themselves voting for anyone, other than John Halligan in the General Elections, when every the election is held? Do you think that a second Independent could be elected in Waterford? If so, who do you think may stand a chance of actually winning a seat. I've heard several names mentioned, but I don't know if these are really candidates or just pet projects for centain people?? Who will the people of Waterford elect in the next general election, I think a second Independent may have a real chance of being elected, I just hope its someone with a true vision for Waterford and the country at large, do you think this is likely??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

All of our independents are hopeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I have no faith really in any Political figures down here. I remember Justin Collery was making all the right noises at the last election but he probably left it a bit late in starting his campaign. I do think that voting in independents in the next election would force the Government to focus back on Waterford to regain its support however so I would vote for an independent for that reason next time around

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I have listened to many people speaking about how they just don't or can't imagine themselves voting for anyone, other than John Halligan in the General Elections, when every the election is held? Do you think that a second Independent could be elected in Waterford? If so, who do you think may stand a chance of actually winning a seat. I've heard several names mentioned, but I don't know if these are really candidates or just pet projects for centain people?? Who will the people of Waterford elect in the next general election, I think a second Independent may have a real chance of being elected, I just hope its someone with a true vision for Waterford and the country at large, do you think this is likely??

Why would you vote for 2 independents, i dont think independents can work together, existing independents have zero power and as much as i like what john halligan, ross and other say, nobody with the power gives a toss what they say.
    I would probably vote halligan on saying that, contradictory you could say but i dont see alternatives with some opposition parties promising cutting taxes, water, USC, no cuts to services the moon and the stars for all....it doesnt add up.
    I dont see ross putting his coalition together in workable format to join up with some main party,plus if I was enda kenny, why would you try and deal with a group of independents when you could just do a few deals with a few of them and then pretty much forget about it, dealing with a group of them will mean more arguements and disagreements.
    After saying all that, if a really credible and competent candidate did come along, maybe....

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

"A really credible and competent candidate ".........dream on !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I can only assume that the same parish pump political dynamo with start up again & FF & FG will get the usual seats. No real credible independent or come to think of it, no real credible candidate from the majority of parties in Waterford. Well maybe one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Aren't we past all that? The democratic process has failed Waterford and it's time for civil disobedience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

To me anyway, it seems like many people in Waterford, feel that Waterford has been failed at National level. I would normally be of the opinion that people elected for National Government must act, solely for the good of all the citizens, but I just think that maybe thats too much of an ideal, perhaps its a just too far from reality and Waterford is being left behind.

People who would never have dreamed of voting for any candidate that wasn't associated to the 3 main parties, have done a complete U turn and are now saying that it is pointless voting for the candidates associated with the 3 main parties, they feel Waterford will lose and the National Interest argument just isn't convincing them anymore either ( I am not suggessting it's in the National Interest ). Waterford it seems, is at the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to party politics and the good of all people.

Given that 4 candidates will represent us, what is the best configuration for Waterford, as all politics now appear most definitely, to be local.

John Deasy may do excellent work on the PAC but he isn't in the Kenny camp and so we are disadvantaged, if FG get back in, which they may.

Paudie Coffey I'm not so sure he will win back his seat.

Ciara Conway - well lets just say she actuallly ruled herself out for a Ministerial position and that act spoke for itself and for Waterford. I can't see Seamus Ryan winning the seat from Ciara Conway now and even if he does I don't think it would matter.

John Halligan will almost definitely be returned and if a minority goverment need Independent support, Waterford could benefit, if he pushed hard enough.

David Cullinane would have a very good chance of winning a seat, but he does live in Kilkenny and this may still cause him problems.

FF, most people are suggesting that if an FF candidate wins a seat it will most likely be Eddie Mulligan, I know nothing about his position in FF.

With 1 definite and 2 almost definites, a brand spanking new candidate will be in with a chance, especially a well known candidate. I would also suggest a female candidate would stand a better chance than a male.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I noted the Phoenix column in the News and Star about 4 weeks ago asked the question what has John Halligan done for Waterford since he was elected.

I struggled to think of something but in fairness he has no power to do anything. So why do people see him as a certainty to get back in again. Is it on the chance he might have more infulence in an independent alliance or is he doing sterling work that's not getting reported

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

He's like Sinn Fein, he aligns himself with the popular fights...Waterford Crystal...Water rates...He hasn't done much really

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

The two government parties promised Waterford a university (not a techn-uni; a proper one). In power they have reneged on that promise. To my mind, that means the three government TDs (Conway, Deasy and Coffey) should be put to the sword. Nothing personal, but if they are returned, if the county does not exact some political revenge, we will never be taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

invara wrote: »
    The two government parties promised Waterford a university (not a techn-uni; a proper one). In power they have reneged on that promise. To my mind, that means the three government TDs (Conway, Deasy and Coffey) should be put to the sword. Nothing personal, but if they are returned, if the county does not exact some political revenge, we will never be taken seriously.

I'd agree with you here but I just don't know how we can do that and raise our chances of bring about a better outcome for Waterford.

I doubt Labour will be part of any new government, although I know nothing is impossible, so at this point, no matter how good a candidate they field, it would make little difference to us. FG on the otherhand, may just get back in, so that makes it very difficult for people to find the balance needed.

While I personally would'nt like to see SF in government, but despite my personal opinion, I know it doesn't mean they won't form part of the new government. I think David Cullinane is just a bit too far down the pecking orde to bring about any kind of change for Waterford.

FF I can't see a Waterford candidate pushing the heavy weights out.

Its very difficult to know what would be best, but if there was a hung Dail then 1 or even 2 Waterford Independents might make all the difference, they may also make no difference, but would they be our best chance real representation here??

Advertisement