Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Too small for the Guards?

• 15-12-2014 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Been interested in joining the Guards since doing the Junior Cert. In fourth year I did my work experience in the local station to see what it was like. I didn't get to do alot for obvious reasons but still enjoyed it, and got to watch the Guards during the day.

What I noticed was not one of them was I'm guessing under 5"9, and they were either very tall and thin or average height and stocky build. I'm 5"5 and thin (65Kg) and it put me off. I know the height restrictions are gone but I have it my head you would want to fairly tall anyway, for instance if i was to join would i manage to arrest someone thats 4 or 5 inches taller than me (which would be the average height for most males)

I have since done the Leaving Cert and currently studying Agriculture but I'll be finishing in May.

So what are your opinions? Do ye think its all in my head (I have been told this) or that I'm right about the height?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

as long as you pass the fitness requirements then your deemed fit for duty

the best weapon you have is your brain and your mouth - dont be so reliant on brawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

yes, relying on your sparkling wit and calm demeanour will really help you to restrain a 20 stone 6 foot 2 inch lunatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

johnty56 wrote: »
    yes, relying on your sparkling wit and calm demeanour will really help you to restrain a 20 stone 6 foot 2 inch lunatic

When was the last time you saw this happening with your own two eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

D Trent wrote: »
    When was the last time you saw this happening with your own two eyes

Saw what exactly? Someone out of it on drink/drugs/both being restrained by a 65kg garda or someone failing to be restrained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Sure many of the female members would be of even slighter build. You might get a lot of taunts from the drunks outside chippers / dicso's etc but these days you have to be vary wary of using force in any case and if force has to be used to restrain someone health & safety would require you to only do so with some assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

God be with the days when a kick in the h*&£ or a belt in the jaw did the job. That's when guards had respect. Not now tho. Different times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Been interested in joining the Guards since doing the Junior Cert. In fourth year I did my work experience in the local station to see what it was like. I didn't get to do alot for obvious reasons but still enjoyed it, and got to watch the Guards during the day.

What I noticed was not one of them was I'm guessing under 5"9, and they were either very tall and thin or average height and stocky build. I'm 5"5 and thin (65Kg) and it put me off. I know the height restrictions are gone but I have it my head you would want to fairly tall anyway, for instance if i was to join would i manage to arrest someone thats 4 or 5 inches taller than me (which would be the average height for most males)

I have since done the Leaving Cert and currently studying Agriculture but I'll be finishing in May.

So what are your opinions? Do ye think its all in my head (I have been told this) or that I'm right about the height?

Id imagine the guards are not all john rambos that go around single handedly arresting people id imagine you d nearly always outnumber a suspect or atleast never be on your own..that said... obviously the bigger you are the easier itll be to toss people around and bust up the hippys and protestors when they get out of hand an what not haha i joke! but no if its something you want to do go for it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

evo2000 wrote: »
    Id imagine the guards are not all john rambos that go around single handedly arresting people id imagine you d nearly always outnumber a suspect or atleast never be on your own..that said... obviously the bigger you are the easier itll be to toss people around and bust up the hippys and protestors when they get out of hand an what not haha i joke! but no if its something you want to do go for it,
    Those two that burst that woman off that bollard in Dublin were not 5"5 anyway.....

Advertisement