Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

breathing.

• 15-12-2014 11:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

I've started weights again after about a year off. I've been doing weights on and off for about 10 years.

I'm doing the 5 x 5 strong lifts thing.

One thing I'm focusing on now is the breathing, in the past I never really concentrated much on breathing.

I started reading about it and tried a different breathing technique yesterday as follows.

This was on a bench press.

1. lie back on bench, take a big breath and hold it
    2. lift weight off rack ( breath still held )
    3. bring weight down ( breath still held )
    4. just AFTER starting push up, release breath slowly
    5. at top of push up, hold breath again and repeat for each rep.

However straight after doing this technique yesterday morning, I had a headache all day and it was quiet acute last night. I dont normally get headaches.

thankfully the headache is gone now.
    now I dunno if the headache was 1. just a coincidence, 2. because I'm not used to this breathing technique or 3. because the breathing technique I did was wrong.

Then I was reading that the above technique can cause increased blood pressure and even fainting etc

can anyone recommend a proper breathing technique or advice here ? without getting over technical :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

I've started weights again after about a year off. I've been doing weights on and off for about 10 years.

I'm doing the 5 x 5 strong lifts thing.

One thing I'm focusing on now is the breathing, in the past I never really concentrated much on breathing.

I started reading about it and tried a different breathing technique yesterday as follows.

This was on a bench press.

1. lie back on bench, take a big breath and hold it
    2. lift weight off rack ( breath still held )
    3. bring weight down ( breath still held )
    4. just AFTER starting push up, release breath slowly
    5. at top of push up, hold breath again and repeat for each rep.

However straight after doing this technique yesterday morning, I had a headache all day and it was quiet acute last night. I dont normally get headaches.

thankfully the headache is gone now.
    now I dunno if the headache was 1. just a coincidence, 2. because I'm not used to this breathing technique or 3. because the breathing technique I did was wrong.

Then I was reading that the above technique can cause increased blood pressure and even fainting etc

can anyone recommend a proper breathing technique or advice here ? without getting over technical :)

In theory this seems fine, however, how long does it take you to complete a rep?
    when i do it i take a breath, unrack the bar, take another breath, hold, lower bar, and explode the bar up, once the bar starts moving from my chest, (an inch or two up) i blow air out hard.
    1 rep for me takes 1 - 1.5 seconds. and id only really go up to 6 reps in a set.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Squatman wrote: »
    In theory this seems fine, however, how long does it take you to complete a rep?
    when i do it i take a breath, unrack the bar, take another breath, hold, lower bar, and explode the bar up, once the bar starts moving from my chest, (an inch or two up) i blow air out hard.
    1 rep for me takes 1 - 1.5 seconds. and id only really go up to 6 reps in a set.

To be honest, I don't know how long it takes me offhand, I don't do it overly slow or anything.

I see your approach is slightly different, might try that way too. ( take a breath, unrack the bar, take another breath )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Unless you're waiting too long between breathing, unracking and then lowering the bar, the breath after unracking might not make much of a difference.

Unless you're waiting too long between breathing, unracking and then lowering the bar, the breath after unracking might not make much of a difference.

Not really, but for powerlifting, and in competitions, this is the approach i would take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Squatman wrote: »
    Not really, but for powerlifting, and in competitions, this is the approach i would take.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning its validity. Did it this morning, as it happens.

Just that it's unlikely to be the difference between getting a killer headache and not.

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning its validity. Did it this morning, as it happens.

Just that it's unlikely to be the difference between getting a killer headache and not.

No, you're right, this "killer headache" more than likely came from dehydration imo

Advertisement