Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loan to partner

Options
  • 15-12-2014 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I'm seeking advice. I gave my partner a loan of €4200 euros while we were still together. Now less than 6 months later we have broken up. The loan currently stands at €3000 remaining to be paid back. I'm not in a position financially to just write this off so can anyone offer me advice on how I can go about recouping this money via a legal route. We had agreed on breaking up that he would pay it by direct debit to my account on a weekly basis but he has not done this. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

It looks like all you can do is send him a Solicitor's letter and hope he pays up.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭themoneyguy

Solicitor is an option but could be expensive.
    Small claims court is easy process but the max you could get back is €2000.

In preparation it would be beneficial if you had any of the below :

- anything signed by him when the loan was given. written agreement
    - anything signed by him when he agreed to pay back at the point when you broke up.
    - Any evidence that he has made regular payments to you for a period since teh day the loan was given. This would help the argument that a loan was given to him and it was not a gift. Why would he be making repayments if it wasn't a loan.

Best of luck.

Advertisement