Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rip-Off cover songs being played in retailers

• 15-12-2014 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Has anyone else notice this?A lot of retailers speakers are playing popular songs that sound like the original but if you listen closely they're actually just a cover by a different band.

Its clearly more evident around Christmas when you would be doing a bit of shopping. I remember hearing it about 2 years ago in heatons for the first time but now its almost in every shop.

What the hell is with this? Why can't they play the original song? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

You need a licence to play music in your shop. Perhaps the cover versions get you a discount over playing originals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe they're playing the Xfactor and Idol versions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

deadybai wrote: »

They have to pay royalties if they use the original and Dunnes et al are way too cheap for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

I work in one the retailers who play cover songs with some originals in there too. So yes they are covers some are bad some ok and some downright terrible. Its down to paying license fee for music and rumours i've heard that there is some kind of spot checks by those who issue licences for such music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Why can't they play the original song? :confused:

They'd have to pay IMRO a large amount of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Actually they have to pay IMRO anyway. It's the PPI they save money with I think.

http://www.ppimusic.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

just been in supervalue,somebody murdering john lennons war is over, horrendous racket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

We kiss jouw a very craxmaz
    an a snappy blue year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

stanley1 wrote: »
    just been in supervalue,somebody murdering john lennons war is over, horrendous racket.

Think that's just Yoko on backing "vocals".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

John Lemmon - Door is open :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

bjork wrote: »
    John Lemmon - Door is open :pac:

Door is open. It's a-jar
    Door is open. It's a-jar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Has anyone else notice this?A lot of retailers speakers are playing popular songs that sound like the original but if you listen closely they're actually just a cover by a different band.

Its clearly more evident around Christmas when you would be doing a bit of shopping. I remember hearing it about 2 years ago in heatons for the first time but now its almost in every shop.

Why would you do that?

It's a shop FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Valetta wrote: »
    Why would you do that?

It's a shop FFS.

Being dragged around for hours looking at the same stuff over and over again. The music is about the only thing I pay attention too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Two companies in Ireland provide this, the most prevalent being Almotech (http://www.almotech.com/), the other being Mood Media whom I think have pulled out of Ireland. I've dealt with both, basically they provide streaming music/radio/store ads to your store, along with equipment etc. You pay the IMRO/PPI and they provide what you want. If you want the originals, you have to pay more. If you're happy to have the knock-off music, you don't have to pay the exorbitant PPI/IMRO fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

It's the worst. What's played in shops these days makes me want to leave them as soon as possible. No music at all would be preferable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They have to pay royalties if they use the original and Dunnes et al are way too cheap for that.

There are royalties on Publishing Rights (which refers to the song itself) as well, not just based off use of the recording.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Proxy wrote: »
    Two companies in Ireland provide this, the most prevalent being Almotech (http://www.almotech.com/), the other being Mood Media whom I think have pulled out of Ireland. I've dealt with both, basically they provide streaming music/radio/store ads to your store, along with equipment etc. You pay the IMRO/PPI and they provide what you want. If you want the originals, you have to pay more. If you're happy to have the knock-off music, you don't have to pay the exorbitant PPI/IMRO fees.

Mood Media has been replaced by OceanBlue Audio.

This same topic was discussed a while back in this thread which will probably answer most questions on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Its kinda off topic but Nova are in deep water with IMRO for not having coughed up when they sent the bag men round

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    It's the worst. What's played in shops these days makes me want to leave them as soon as possible. No music at all would be preferable.

Head to Lidl ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

They should play instrumental/ jazz or ambient music, covers and everything else be damned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hell for anyone playing the Little Drummer Boy game this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

They should play instrumental/ jazz or ambient music, covers and everything else be damned.

They should go back to using the classics of stock music like Alan Hawkshaw, Keith Mansfield et al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

get me a sharp knife and please be quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I was in Tesco there and good God the cover versions were awful. Not even okay; they were murdering the songs. Like someone gave their son or daughter a mike and a Casio keyboard and said "Here, give it your best shot".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Its kinda like the soundtrack on the Love/Hate dvds, RTE can't afford to pay the rights to original artists, so they have cover versions of all the originals on the DVD sets.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The "muisc" in Mr Price has to be the worst on the planet !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

The rights to use the original recording & performance, particularly for successful music, is usually very expensive when companies want to use that material for any type of broadcast, film TV or other medias.

By doing a cover version you just have to pay the original songwriters / composers royalties which is much cheaper, even given the costs of getting new musicians & studio time to copy the style of the original recording.

I think many people find it annoying to hear a recording they really like is not the original performance, but a mere imitation. It would be more interesting to hear a different interpretation than a copy IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Nothing worse than working in a shop with that horrible music, then hearing it again in a different shop. Happens all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

The Londis in Western Ind. Estate has THE WORST music ever...as far as I know its original material but i would prefer covers, because it's the worst crap going

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

Was in B&Q the other day and it's the same.
    Not bad covers to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

get me a sharp knife and please be quick.

Apt username is apt.

Advertisement