Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Documents Backup

Options
  • 15-12-2014 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

Am looking for some sort of backup software (Free preferably) that will run on Windows 8 - 8.1 that will allow me to run both manual and scheduled backups of the whole documents folders and maybe with the feature to add specific files/folders too.

Basically looking for documents to be copied to external drive as a precautionary safety net in case disaster strikes. Easy to use would be a real bonus as it is for a non Techy user.

Any recommendations?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Windows 8 has "File History" built-in for this.
    By default it'll include the music, Videos, Documents, Pictures Libraries + Desktop, contacts, favourites.

If you need to add folders outside the default, you need to create or modify a library (e.g right click on the "Documents" library, and under it's properties dialog add additional folder to it's "library locations"), right click to view it's properties and add these folders.

A bit more info at...
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8030/backup-guide/4

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭garbeth

If the files are important and you don't want to loose them then I would suggest a paid service is better I use carbonite it backs up all my files and has unlimited storage. It costs $49 a year. A paid service gives a better chance of not loosing your files than a free service as their business relies on it

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭free_man

garbeth wrote: »
    If the files are important and you don't want to loose them then I would suggest a paid service is better I use carbonite it backs up all my files and has unlimited storage. It costs $49 a year. A paid service gives a better chance of not loosing your files than a free service as their business relies on it

I don't agree that you need paid service for backup files (even if they are very important). Lot of backup options which are free can be better job than paid service.

Even a paid service has limitations and don't forget upload and download speeds and costs in case its in cloud.
    And the fact that the company can get hacked and your files are with hackers for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ressem wrote: »
    Windows 8 has "File History" built-in for this.
    By default it'll include the music, Videos, Documents, Pictures Libraries + Desktop, contacts, favourites.

If you need to add folders outside the default, you need to create or modify a library (e.g right click on the "Documents" library, and under it's properties dialog add additional folder to it's "library locations"), right click to view it's properties and add these folders.

A bit more info at...
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8030/backup-guide/4

Thanks but, not able to scheduled backups and it's way to Tech minded for the individual who will be the end user.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

garbeth wrote: »

I'm literally looking to help this individual backup a few pictures and documents on a regular basis, but really there will be nothing that mission critical to warrant an annual subscription to a cloud service. Thanks for the reply all the same ;)

free_man wrote: »
    I don't agree that you need paid service for backup files (even if they are very important). Lot of backup options which are free can be better job than paid service.

Even a paid service has limitations and don't forget upload and download speeds and costs in case its in cloud.
    And the fact that the company can get hacked and your files are with hackers for all to see.

For this particular case I agree with you totally. There are lots of free Progs out there, and yes, I know how to Google :) I was just hoping to get some advice from users who actually used some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Thanks but, not able to scheduled backups and it's way to Tech minded for the individual who will be the end user.

It attempts to snapshot every hour by default (though this can be changed under it's advanced settings.)

Setting it up is just
    Plugging in the external drive
    going into
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\File History
    Selecting Drive as the external drive
    Turn On

And it'll back up when it detects the drive is connected.

In which case, you'd just want an automatic reminder to connect the external disk, which can be a message dialog created in Windows "Task Scheduler".

Adding additional folders outside the Users directory, or excluding folders is the only bit that's complicated the first try.

But I'll leave it there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I find Easus Todo Backup Free to be pretty decent. One of the few free solutions that support scheduled backups as well. :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 65,437 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Look no further than Cubby

Signup, install the software, then right click on any directory on your computer and select the option "make this folder a Cubby"

This will automatically keep all the files in that directory synced with the cloud account. No need for any manual or scheduled back ups! 5GB free or something like that. Cubby is owned by logmein, so a huge company that won't go belly up

Linky

• Advertisement
Advertisement