Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic record - between PCs.

Options
  • 15-12-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

Looking to discover where a message would be retained electronically on computers that -'talk'- to each other.

Circumstances:
    Whilst booking a holiday on line with irish company , as I tried to pay for it I entered credit card details when requested , the computer I was on received a message like: your credit card details are incorrect - payment not accepted.

I observed this message and as the card was rejected I was satisfied that no sale had occurred.

However some time later I was informed by a blank email from the company that the holiday purchase had been successfully made. I mention a blank email as the company rep told me there was an IT issue as regards that. However the company also tell me that there was no issue with the sale , there is a clear inference is that I did not get this message , when in fact I did.
    I need to get hold of the electronic record of this message , as it will be a required proof. I intend to bring this matter to the small claims court as I am of the opinion as the credit card was rejected , my authorisation should have been sought before the card was debited.
    I am looking for some technical advice really. I believe either the credit card company or the website or the third party they use to process credit card transactions will have is record , your advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There's little chance of finding what you're hoping for. Unfortunately such records are not kept for every page visited. That being said, your credit card company have very strong controls over this, contact them and get them to charge back the payment. At very least contact them, they will handle this issue without you having to go through the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

There's little chance of finding what you're hoping for. Unfortunately such records are not kept for every page visited. That being said, your credit card company have very strong controls over this, contact them and get them to charge back the payment. At very least contact them, they will handle this issue without you having to go through the small claims court.

Thks for your informative reply. I was on to c card co. They say as you say
    They dont think they have record but are checking. Funny I would have thought the opposite! Computers I thought would retain info in particular when a reject is issues. My problem is this occurred but its not showing so they say ... im in bother if I cant get this record as I have no way of proving it - thks

Thks for your informative reply. I was on to c card co. They say as you say
    They dont think they have record but are checking. Funny I would have thought the opposite! Computers I thought would retain info in particular when a reject is issues. My problem is this occurred but its not showing so they say ... im in bother if I cant get this record as I have no way of proving it - thks

So I'm guessing here that you no longer want the holiday?

But either way, call the credit card company, tell them the transaction came back as rejected, and that you didn't authorise a repeat transaction and leave it at that.

Surely you are able to explain this situation to the shop that you bought it from as well, and perhaps they will be able to cancel.

But either way, call the credit card company, tell them the transaction came back as rejected, and that you didn't authorise a repeat transaction and leave it at that.

Surely you are able to explain this situation to the shop that you bought it from as well, and perhaps they will be able to cancel.

So you think that will work re credit card company? Im doing that now.
    My problem is I cannot prove this error messages came to laptop. Hol company say no issues recorded and have sent me log from their third party partner that they use re c cards - it shows everything except the error message.
    There will be no issue if I can find where that record is retained on computers. And get a copy of course

My problem is I cannot prove this error messages came to laptop. Hol company say no issues recorded and have sent me log from their third party partner that they use re c cards - it shows everything except the error message.
    There will be no issue if I can find where that record is retained on computers. And get a copy of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

What you may be able to provide is a link to the transaction failed page you saw. Look at your internet history for that website in detail. There's a chance that page had "TransctionX=authorisationfailed" or something like it in the URL itsself. If you can provide this, it would be proof that there was an issue with transaction X for example.

Its a long shot but worth looking I guess.

Thks a mill, they sent me this. Log of course no bite of this error!! Try the history good idea thks

What exactly are you trying to do? Cancel the holiday?

The credit card company will work, if the payment was not autorised by you, and you believe that the travel company are in error charging the card. The CC company will call the travel agent and liaise with them and work out a solution.

that is great. I am getting stressed a bit now. I was sure that it would show error message on log. I find that record show transaction ok no sight of error. .. I emailed the company that the log came from to ask them to check forensically the full log. fibgers crossed.

that is great. I am getting stressed a bit now. I was sure that it would show error message on log. I find that record show transaction ok no sight of error. .. I emailed the company that the log came from to ask them to check forensically the full log. fibgers crossed.

I still don't really understand why you cant just cancel the holiday and why this is getting at all technical....but how and ever....

• Advertisement

I still don't really understand why you cant just cancel the holiday and why this is getting at all technical....but how and ever....

Well I suppose losing 700 or 800 might not be stressful to some -- it is to me!
    Everyone knows there are huge cancellation fees I would have thought!
    I am seeking technical advice so I can be aware of my facts when taking to the geeks at the on line retailer that put through the transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

It's very straight forward - as others have said contact the CC company. Advise that you did not authorise the transaction/ the transaction failed and let the CC company take it from there.
    Going down the route of looking for technical details/ logs etc. only confuses the situation for all parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Well I suppose losing 700 or 800 might not be stressful to some -- it is to me!
    Everyone knows there are huge cancellation fees I would have thought!
    I am seeking technical advice so I can be aware of my facts when taking to the geeks at the on line retailer that put through the transaction.

Nobody here is going to be able to give you technical advice, because nobody here has any knowledge of the underlying architecture of whatever payment page you went through. The message that you got was very likely generated server-side, so the log you need, if it exists, is on the server side.

But you don't need to bother with any of that. As has been said, call your credit card company and request a charge-back. Simple as that.

thks a mill. I didnt think credit card companies would charge back unless you could prove beyond a doubt that there was a very good reason to do this what I mean is when c card co contact holiday company they will show a log showing what looks like a correctly carried out purchase I can't see c card company allowing dispute to me when the hol company are going to stuck with large fees ?its a first time for me. why im going on about the documentarian evidence is without it I have no leg to stand on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

thks a mill. I didnt think credit card companies would charge back unless you could prove beyond a doubt that there was a very good reason to do this what I mean is when c card co contact holiday company they will show a log showing what looks like a correctly carried out purchase I can't see c card company allowing dispute to me when the hol company are going to stuck with large fees ?its a first time for me. why im going on about the documentarian evidence is without it I have no leg to stand on

The guys here are right, CC companies are pretty helpfull in this regard. Ring them and i'm sure you'll they'll sort it out for you.

its in the post I don't think they will allow a refund unless you have proof as the seller will lose out financially. I have no proof of the error message but I have suggested they ask the credit card thiry party company to double check if the card decline msg is there its all I can do. thks

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I intend to bring this matter to the small claims court as I am of the opinion as the credit card was rejected , my authorisation should have been sought before the card was debited.
    Perhaps goto the credit card company, and ask if it has a record of said authorization? And if not, why did they release the funds?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

No harm in explaning what happened to th e CC company. No harm in asking. They're actually (usually) quite helpful.

Advertisement