Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compare laptop and tablet. Do you know speeds for Skype?

Options
  • 15-12-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I’m getting a laptop or a tablet for my daughter.

The most important thing is that it’s good for Skype.

Which should I get -- laptop or tablet?

And what specs to maximise chances of a really good Skype connection?

At the moment, sometimes she uses an iPad, and sometimes a laptop. I’m not sure of the specs, but the laptop isn’t new; the iPad is about a year old I think. But the laptop is better than the iPad. On the iPad the picture is more pixelated and freezes for the person at the other end of the Skype call, and the sound isn’t as good.

I was comparing a Toshiba laptop with a Samsung tablet, and the guy in Powercity said a lower spec GHz (1.2) Quad Core tablet would be equal to a higher spec older technology laptop.

I’ll get a tablet if it’s as good or better for Skype than a laptop, but I’m a bit hesitant with the experience of my daughter’s iPad.

Highest priority over any other use of the device, is that she can get a really good clear Skype connection.

What device will she be better off with?

Some of the things I was looking at are below:

HP Pavilion
    Intel® Celeron® Processor N2830
    Memory: 4 GB

TOSHIBA 15.6" INTEL 4GB
    (I think this was a 2GHz processor)

A laptop with approx 1.5 GHz processor and 2GB memory

A tablet with approx 1.2 Quad Core processor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If all you need is a great skype connection - in that case laptop.
    A laptop generally has stronger/better range than a tablet.
    Then it depends on how fast your wifi is at home, and where she uses the Skype and how good the wifi is in that room.

You can install speedtest and check
    http://www.speedtest.net/ any computer
    https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/speedtest.net-mobile-speed/id300704847?mt=8 ipad

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wf

Thanks biko.

You mentioned a laptop generally has a better 'range'...

...so I guess that means it makes better use of the wifi signal...?

If that's the case, do you know: is there a specification I can look at on that, to compare different devices? (I'll be comparing devices in the store -- I guess I might not be able to do that speedtest on them, and even if I can, the different devices might be in different locations in the shop...)

Up to now I've just been looking at processor speed and RAM. But is there a device specification that will give me an indication of 'range'?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not really but in general the better antenna in the laptop gives it longer range.
    Will your daughter use the laptop/tablet far away from the wifi router?

Is she using one today from that location with no issue?

Btw, any of those you mention in the OP will work with Skype, but there are other considerations like walls and distance etc.

An alternative is to extend the wifi signal into the room where she will mainly use it. This way you may not need a new device at all.

Thanks again biko.

She's one room away from the router. When she uses an iPad the signal isn't good. Laptop is better, but there're other probs with the laptop so I'm going to get a replacement anyway. If a newer tablet was going to be as good or better than a laptop then I'd replace it with a tablet. But it sounds like a laptop will be better. I'll see if I can find any info on antennas in the different laptop models, and maybe in tablets. Even if the router is moved or wifi signal extended etc, I still want to make sure the device will have a good antenna etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

WiFi has various standards (listed from order of slowest to fastest) : a b g n ac
    ac is still new and expensive. If you can find a cheap device that supports n, that's great. g is still fine for skype, but you can get better.

To simplify shopping, you want to get a laptop/tablet that has at least the same standard as your router supports.

If you're using WiFi, a lot depends not on the internet connection you pay for, but the speed and latency your individual device receives. This can be impacted by a range of factors including: How good your router is, what sort of obstacles are between the router and computer (e.g. walls), what are the other computers on the same network doing?
    Skype calls don't generally require high speeds, but they do need low latency.

Skype is a basic enough program that any new computer should be able to run perfectly regardless of system specs.

Having a wired internet connection is always preferred to WiFi as it eliminates factors like walls reducing signal.

• Advertisement

Thanks Polar Ice,

I'll check the specs on the devices: a, b, g, n, or ac

...it sounds like all other factors relate to things other than device specs...

...unless there's anything relating to latency in the specs of the device that I could watch out for...?

(i know you mentioned any device should do the job -- i just want to be a bit wary -- with the experience of her current iPad (not good) signal.)

Wf wrote: »
    ...unless there's anything relating to latency in the specs of the device that I could watch out for...?

By latency I'm referring to ping - this is basically the amount of time it takes for a packet of data to go from your computer, over the internet to a server and back to your computer again.

If we say your internet has two main factors to measure performance:
    1) speed
    2) ping/latency
    Speed is what your ISP (e.g. Eircom, UPC, etc...) advertise when you buy from them, generally measured in mbps. Ping is the relay time to a server you're communicating to online. This is generally measured in milliseconds and can be influenced by factors like:
    -The type of connection you're using (anything wired>wireless as a rule of thumb)
    -The web service you're using (e.g. website/skype/game server/etc...)

Skype is the type of program where ping/latency matters more than speed. Once skype has a fast enough internet speed, adding more internet speed won't make a difference. However, lower latency is always better for skype.

If you're using a WiFi connection, the signal strength between the computer and router will impact on latency (if the router is on the opposite side of the house and skype seems poor, consider moving the computer&router closer - or wire them up)

Basically what I'm saying is that you very quickly reach a point where any computer can comfortably run skype, and any internet connection has enough speed for skype. Focusing on ways to combat latency over WiFi then become important

Thanks Polar Ice, for your generosity with your time educating me.

That gives me a better understanding of what areas to make sure are sorted.

Cheers.

No Probs.

I haven't personally used an ipad, but if you were trying to use skype on an ipad, the type of internet connection would come into play. If you were using a SIM card, it's worth noting that 2G/Edge/3G and even 4G networks are liable to higher levels of latency than a proper home internet connection (especially compared to wired).

If you were using the ipad over wifi, just try not to be really far away from the router - being in the same room is the best. Also make sure you're using whatever the most up to date version of the skype software http://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-mobile/

It's wifi. I need to get a new device anyway. I'm deciding whether to buy an Android tablet or a laptop – and if I'm understanding right, laptop will be better, so I'll get that.

It could be used places in which I can't be sure she'll be in the bestest place re the router etc -- so I want to make sure I'm getting a device that will best handle a less-than-optimum set up. (Within reason price-wise.)

I'm thinking of getting a HP Pavilion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement