Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow or Gorey to live??

Options
  • 15-12-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    I have recently got a job in arklow and wanted to get advice on the best area to live.
    Would you recommend Arklow or Gorey?
    Any info on the areas would be appreciated as I am not from the area. I am looking for somewhere that has a bit of a night life on the weekends (no clubbing more pubbing with good banter) and community engagement. As I am new to the area, somewhere easy to meet new people.
    Many thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Both are nice places to live, and both have good and bad places(like anywhere)
    Moved to Arklow about 10 years and love it, people friendly and nice(as are in Gorey) lots of amenities in both.
    Would pick Arklow based on the fact that you don't have to travel
    If you want advice on particular areas or anything drop me a pm, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DamianK

As Gmol said both nice.
    I live in Gorey, work in Arklow. Gorey amenities not as stretched as in Arklow, Gorey Main Street area very busy in opening hours.
    Arklow close to the see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I live up the road from Arklow.

It always struck me as more substantial than Gorey.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Velocity_Girl

I live in Arklow and worked here in town for years, but in the last two years I've been commuting to Gorey everyday.

In terms of shopping, as what has been mentioned previously, Gorey Main Street does be busy but I find the selection of shops much better in Arklow (Bridgewater Shopping Centre) Gorey has more boutique type shops. For nightlife, Gorey definitely has more nice restaurants to eat out and we would tend to pop down to Gorey every few weeks. I wouldn't say there's much of a difference when it comes to pubs, both towns are pretty much on the same level for me.

If it was me, I'd live in Arklow...if you want to pop down to Gorey for shopping / night out its about a 15 minute maximum car drive, costs about €25 for a taxi.

Advertisement