Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival - 29th-31st May 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This post has been deleted.

Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

This post has been deleted.

I'm pretty sure Aphex Twin and most others who get put into the IDM genre look down on its usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

haha, I have honestly never heard of him or her, the music doesn't sit well with me, its too mechanical, too much effort, like aphex twin.

Well theres about five or six stages, so plenty of choice, I'll be at Squarepusher myself, should be good craic.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Twigehh

What is the situation with future announcements, do we think?

Will there be another phase of acts?

Fer Zefer announced this today, District 8 late night stage.

11051964_10152625837861612_8763793686979739374_n.jpg?oh=22e89db22ca9c468abcceaa4539f763d&oe=55A8A997

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Looking forward to life will be my 2nd year going and I've had my ticket before the first announcements but I must say forbidden fruit seem to have really got a lot of the acts this year I would rather see at life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Twigehh wrote: »
    What is the situation with future announcements, do we think?

Will there be another phase of acts?

I don't think there will be any more big announcements, maybe a couple of acts or a few Irish acts but I'd say the majority is up already. I definitely feel like the line up isn't as strong as last year but maybe that's just down to personal choice, I bought my ticket for Forbidden Fruit last week so won't be attending this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I don't think there will be any more big announcements, maybe a couple of acts or a few Irish acts but I'd say the majority is up already. I definitely feel like the line up isn't as strong as last year but maybe that's just down to personal choice, I bought my ticket for Forbidden Fruit last week so won't be attending this years.
    Far weaker lineup than last year is right, won't be attending this year, opting for electric picnic and a trip over to America instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

I do agree that this years line-up is a little weaker than last year but at least Life try to mix it up.

Forbidden Fruit's line up include:
    Jamie XX, Ejeca, Tensnake, Hot Since 82, Maya Jane Coles, Dusky, Waze & Oddyssey, Groove Armada.

Everyone of them played at Life last year.

If you're maybe leaning towards Electric Picnic, so be it! I'm hopefully going to both but Forbidden Fruit doesn't even come close, you can't even camp that's half the craic!

That last post I put up it says there will be international artists announced on the festival weekend for the District 8 stage, so there is more announcements to come, the psy stage hasn't been announced yet and there has still to be additions announced for the Liquid Stage (DnB, Dubstep, Bass music), Bear Trap stage if its there this year. I presume District 8 might take place of the site Twisted Pepper was at last year and the Bedlam stage has to be announced too.

• Advertisement

Pyrrhic wrote: »
    I do agree that this years line-up is a little weaker than last year but at least Life try to mix it up.

Forbidden Fruit's line up include:
    Jamie XX, Ejeca, Tensnake, Hot Since 82, Maya Jane Coles, Dusky, Waze & Oddyssey, Groove Armada.

Everyone of them played at Life last year.

If you're maybe leaning towards Electric Picnic, so be it! I'm hopefully going to both but Forbidden Fruit doesn't even come close, you can't even camp that's half the craic!

Forbidden fruits lineup is basically life last year and Electric picnic 2013 put together with a few other thrown in, attended both of them so wouldn't have an interest in that either.
    Not mad about non camping festivals also

Minus Bjork, The Knife, David Byrne & St Vincent, My Bloody Valentine and the Arctic Monkeys of course. :pac::pac:

Obviously haha I'm referring to wu tang, fatboy slim, Cyril hahn and the likes that were at EP

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Obviously haha I'm referring to wu tang, fatboy slim, Cyril hahn and the likes that were at EP

Yeah I know what you mean, I have a feeling that Four Tet (Amazing gig at Life last year) is gonna play either Body & Soul or Electric Picnic this year, you see it over a four year cycle at festivals, familiar faces either playing Longitude, Forbidden Fruit, Body & Soul, Life, Indiependence and Electric Picnic. I wonder when we will get to the stage that there is no new or original acts playing the festivals no more. I'd like to think there would constantly be an emergence of new acts and sounds, its just that festivals will always book in the crowd pullers first before maybe taking a chance.

Edit: Sorry I deleted a post which you quoted so sorry about that, I just wanted to rethink what I was gonna say about the familiarity of some of the festival acts these days.

Yeah I know what you mean, I have a feeling that Four Tet (Amazing gig at Life last year) is gonna play either Body & Soul or Electric Picnic this year, you see it over a four year cycle at festivals, familiar faces either playing Longitude, Forbidden Fruit, Body & Soul, Life, Indiependence and Electric Picnic. I wonder when we will get to the stage that there is no new or original acts playing the festivals no more. I'd like to think there would constantly be an emergence of new acts and sounds, its just that festivals will always book in the crowd pullers first before maybe taking a chance.

Edit: Sorry I deleted a post which you quoted so sorry about that, I just wanted to rethink what I was gonna say about the familiarity of some of the festival acts these days.

Wouldn't say no to some of the smaller acts at life, the likes of lowsteppa and rødhad playing EP this year but that's just wishful thinking. Rødhad for the rave in the woods?

I feel like both the Four Tet and Rodhad shouts for EP could be good. Can definitely see Rodhad playing down in the rave at the woods which would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Badhabit

hi guys if anybody need a tickets just PM please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Just picked up a ticket. It's my first year going. I used to travel around the festival circuit when I was younger, but lately it's just been Electric Picnic. I'm looking forward to a full festival dedicated to electronic music! I'm just wondering what the crowd is like at it each year. Is there much of a rough element? The reason I ask is that the last dedicated 'dance' festival I attended was Garden Party, in 2006 and 2007, and the mood was very different in '07, due to a sizeable number of the usual suspects. I'd hate to think I've got that to look forward to next month.

This is some of my reviews of life festival, from the last few years, should give ya an idea.

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/life-festival-2013-24th-26th-may-review/

https://niallmcquaid.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/life-festival-2014-review-23rd-25th-may/

Life is a great buzz and worth checking out, it has broadened out from just dance too, there is two stages with bands as well, Bear Trap stage was kinda eclectic mix a bit like the Salty Dog stage at the Picnic and the main stage would have live bands, some nice reggae, ragga and jungle in the afternoon and evening and DJs would take over for the night time entertainment. There is also about another five stages spread about offering different types of electronica.

Just picked up a ticket. It's my first year going. I used to travel around the festival circuit when I was younger, but lately it's just been Electric Picnic. I'm looking forward to a full festival dedicated to electronic music! I'm just wondering what the crowd is like at it each year. Is there much of a rough element? The reason I ask is that the last dedicated 'dance' festival I attended was Garden Party, in 2006 and 2007, and the mood was very different in '07, due to a sizeable number of the usual suspects. I'd hate to think I've got that to look forward to next month.
    It's generally a good buzz but there was a bit of a scobe factor, nothing that can't be put up with though, have never seen violence at it or heard of anything being robbed. In saying this I woke up on the Monday morning and there was a half burnt towel or something in the porch of my tent as if some cúnt tried to burn me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It's good craic, but last year, on the Sunday night there were a bunch of the local shams that hopped the fences, and went round robbing tents.

We had cans robbed, and someone pissed on our sleeping bags. A fair few of the other tents around us had stuff taken as well.

Wouldn't really stop me from going again, though. But be a lot more wary about where we did get camped.

• Advertisement

It's good craic, but last year, on the Sunday night there were a bunch of the local shams that hopped the fences, and went round robbing tents.

We had cans robbed, and someone pissed on our sleeping bags. A fair few of the other tents around us had stuff taken as well.

Wouldn't really stop me from going again, though. But be a lot more wary about where we did get camped.

Yeah I had a litre of vodka stolen from my tent on the Saturday night and the lads camping beside my tent had their marquee mangled by a group of lads that jumped over the fence onto it.

Thanks lads. It just looks like some of the usual tripe then. I'm glad there's no violence at it. I used to see plenty of fights at festivals years ago, and it was water off a duck's back, but it really ruins it for me these days. I seen a brawl at EP three years ago and it totally spooked me. I seem to get very fragile when I'm on the rip, a consequence of grey hair and drooping balls, I guess.

Thanks lads. It just looks like some of the usual tripe then. I'm glad there's no violence at it. I used to see plenty of fights at festivals years ago, and it was water off a duck's back, but it really ruins it for me these days. I seen a brawl at EP three years ago and it totally spooked me. I seem to get very fragile when I'm on the rip, a consequence of grey hair and drooping balls, I guess.

Hard to imagine lads scrapping at EP but yeah it'd ruin your day looking at that shít

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Hard to imagine lads scrapping at EP but yeah it'd ruin your day looking at that shít

I've been to all of the Picnics, and it was rough enough from 2010 to 2012. And I don't mean it was full of scumbags. It was just edgy, with a bit of a vibe around the place. It only takes two idiots and some loyal friends to cause absolute murder, and I've seen it time and time again. It can happen very easily. Anyway, enough doomsday talk. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭MUFC91CS

Did Life Fest ever specifically say that there were more acts being announced? Looked back over this thread last year and the second round of acts were announced in March last year.

It says on the event page on facebook "plus more to be announced" and "special guest appearance on the weekend" so it sounds as if there are a few more to be announced, but they are leaving it late if they are to announce anyone. My guess is maybe one or two single act announcements and then a host of Irish DJs.

Yes I think there is more announcements to come, but on their website they have seven stages listed with different line ups for each.

Side FX Stage (Psi Stage)
    http://www.life-festival.com/side.php

Hunt & Gather Tent or stage. (No line up as yet)
    http://www.life-festival.com/hunt.php

The Beach Stage with Ben Klock et all. (More to be announced there)

Sim Sima Stage (Reggae Stage in place of Rootical tent from a few years back)
    http://www.life-festival.com/sim.php

District 8 Stage
    11051964_10152625837861612_8763793686979739374_n.jpg?oh=22e89db22ca9c468abcceaa4539f763d&oe=55A8A997
    http://www.life-festival.com/d8.php

Red Bull Music Academy
    http://www.life-festival.com/rbma.php

Main Stage
    http://www.life-festival.com/lineup.php

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

MUFC91CS wrote: »
    Did Life Fest ever specifically say that there were more acts being announced? Looked back over this thread last year and the second round of acts were announced in March last year.

was there another announcement after the 2nd one last year?
    the 2nd this year had Nas, Ben Klock, Siriusmodselektor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I have a feeling Richie hawtin will be one of the acts that can't be announced till the weekend itself,the reason being he's playing at ff. I wouldn't be all that bothered but would have a look if it was a plastikman set

• Advertisement

fulllineupStages-2.jpg

There is the full line up from last year. Surely there are more acts to be announced for this year if that is anything to go by? Maybe it's just me but I feel last years line up was a lot stronger than this years, hence why I'm assuming there are more acts to be announced.

I'd guess that the RBMA and Main stage this year will be the same as last year. District 8 stage probably in place of the Twisted Pepper stage. The Beach stage will surely be where the Bedlam stage was. Side FX will be the Neutronyx (Psytrance:eek:). Sim Sima stage will probably be the Liquid tent from last year and then the Hunt & Gather area is apparently a brand new area.

That is all guesswork now of course but surely it will be something like that. Realistically the Main Stage, RBMA & Beach stage are the only ones I can see big international acts playing, and RBMA have their acts for their stage announced on their website, so if anyone was bothered to see who's left over to play the Main stage and Beach stage then I'd say you could figure out if there are many slots left to fill or not?

Advertisement