Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Festival - 29th-31st May 2015

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

hynes29 wrote: »
    Exact same as myself mate, can't believe how bad the place was in comparison to forbidden fruit on Saturday, very unprofessionally ran. Although, it was most certainly worth the effort just to see Nas he was unreal, got right to the top too qued from around 5:30 and it was a pretty gruesome wait.

Felt like the only sober person, along with my 2 mates, at the whole festival, the place was a god awful mess I really hope I won't have to go back to it for an act, very poor festival. I'd certainly have been disappointed if I had of been there the weekend

To be fair it is mainly a techno festival so if it isn't your scene you're not gunna have a great time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

hynes29 wrote: »
    Exact same as myself mate, can't believe how bad the place was in comparison to forbidden fruit on Saturday, very unprofessionally ran. Although, it was most certainly worth the effort just to see Nas he was unreal, got right to the top too qued from around 5:30 and it was a pretty gruesome wait.

Felt like the only sober person, along with my 2 mates, at the whole festival, the place was a god awful mess I really hope I won't have to go back to it for an act, very poor festival. I'd certainly have been disappointed if I had of been there the weekend

I've never been to Life but I've heard from my mates that it's very well organised. I wonder if something went wrong this year? A change of planning, staff, etc. I'd be interested to hear from some of the regulars.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭KeithWoodshead

I was there last year, and loved it, despite mixed weather.

Hated it this year, still had good fun, but it was terribly run

Stewards were totally clueless and unhelpful

Sound in a lot of the arena's left a lot to be desired and speaking on behalf of some friends who played an early slot, the lesser musicians were treated pretty bad too

Less hippies more roughers this year too. Granted they're all mashed by the saturday but it certainly isn't pleasant when they're all stampeding around locked on the Friday

Wasn't all bad, some good vibes and tunes, but not a patch on last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

had a great time, but yeah, it seemed a bit poorly organised this year.
    queue was a shambles getting in, took us nearly 90mins, but heard of others saying they were in it over 2hrs.
    dunno why they moved the campsite, further out this year and it seemed smaller, with the food stuff split away.
    the main arena is too spread out now too, now that loads of it is given to where one of the campsites used to be around the RBMA/Big Blue Bus area.
    bit of a poor selection of food spots too.

would have been a brilliant weekend if not for the weather. even without the mud, the wind whipping in from across the lake, and general coldness at night was a pain.

didn't see any trouble all weekend, and seemed to be less people completely out of it compared with previous years too.

music highlights: Ben UFO was excellent as always, I was expecting to just stay for a small bit of Nas he put on such a good show that I stayed for all of Illmatic plus a few more after, Oneman played loads of brilliant garage-y stuff, Ben Klock predictably smashed it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hynes29

To be fair it is mainly a techno festival so if it isn't your scene you're not gunna have a great time!

Yeah exactly, I suppose it was really what I expected. Definitely not my preference, I was out of there by 10pm, Nas wrapped up his set at around 9:20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

had a great time, but yeah, it seemed a bit poorly organised this year.
    queue was a shambles getting in, took us nearly 90mins, but heard of others saying they were in it over 2hrs.
    dunno why they moved the campsite, further out this year and it seemed smaller, with the food stuff split away.
    the main arena is too spread out now too, now that loads of it is given to where one of the campsites used to be around the RBMA/Big Blue Bus area.
    bit of a poor selection of food spots too.

would have been a brilliant weekend if not for the weather. even without the mud, the wind whipping in from across the lake, and general coldness at night was a pain.

didn't see any trouble all weekend, and seemed to be less people completely out of it compared with previous years too.

music highlights: Ben UFO was excellent as always, I was expecting to just stay for a small bit of Nas he put on such a good show that I stayed for all of Illmatic plus a few more after, Oneman played loads of brilliant garage-y stuff, Ben Klock predictably smashed it last night.

Right Turn Clyde and Ghostdancer the reason the camping area was moved was because Life festival had to pay 20,000 Euros worth of damage to Westmeath County Council for that biblical downpour from Sunday last year and the footfall the former campsite caused. Well I got back yesterday and I was badly drenched, that had to be the coldest May on record and you know, you can blame Life for the weather. I do agree that woodchip could have been used more, but there was ways around the muck if you took a short cut through the hilly bits. I did find at night prefest and during the festival that it was too cold to stay up chatting to friends and having the craic in the campsite and that most nights I was sleeping with half my clothes on top of my sleeping bag.

Highlights for me were SiriusModeselektor who used stunning visuals and had an amazing sound and a sense of humour to boot, Nas who was also pretty good, was also impressed with the Underachievers, the rap group on before Nas, one of the guys introducing his act claimed he was beat up by six Gardai prior to their arrival on the festival site so he put his anger into the music. The Dirty Dubsters put on a great show during the afternoon too. It was nice to see Derrick Carter in the Red Bull, watching one of the Chicago House masters in action, I also caught a bit of Motor City Drum who were extremely good. Another highlight was the turntablism skills of DJ Nu Mark (Jurassic 5) on the Bacardi stage.

Some of the smaller stages had some great acts too, I really liked the Sim Simma area, a nice mix of reggae, drum & bass and jungle. I caught a marvellous act called Grinder who closed the brown tent stage on early Saturday morning and also played Sunday afternoon on the same stage. A troupe of lads with incredibly fast rapping skills and good beats a backing.

I had an accidental early Saturday night, having caught some reasonable acts at the Side FX psi trance stage although I cannot remember any names for the moment, but will check out the timetables thoroughly for my blog review. The only big act I caught on Saturday was Luke Vibert who was pretty amazing, fantastic brain dance music. Went for a pizza in the blue bus and back to the camp for a short lie down. I had originally intended on seeing Panthu Du Prince and Squarepusher after that. So I set the alarm but when it went off and I heard the hard driving rain against my tent I just went back to sleep and woke up at 6 in the morning. I caught loads of acts on Friday too which I can't remember at the moment, for some reason the timetable supplied to volunteers only had three of the stages and the times mixed up on them too. Anyways I had a decent enough festival, although uncomfortably cold for the time of the year, will probably not do the build again as I suppose I'm just getting too old for it. The saddest thing of all was that my small camera stopped working so no photos or video clips from me this year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

If anyone has some video clips or photos from Life 2015 please post them, I'm wondering if I could use some of it for my blog review, I had a fully charged camera which I charged for the first weekend of May but never used it so I assumed I would still have this first charge, alas it was completely flat, so phew! Not broken and still working. My mistake being that I assumed when I charged it earlier in the month that the charge would hold. It just means next time charge it the day before I leave for the festival site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

If anyone has some video clips or photos from Life 2015 please post them, I'm wondering if I could use some of it for my blog review, I had a fully charged camera which I charged for the first weekend of May but never used it so I assumed I would still have this first charge, alas it was completely flat, so phew! Not broken and still working. My mistake being that I assumed when I charged it earlier in the month that the charge would hold. It just means next time charge it the day before I leave for the festival site.

Gzt6XmL.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

anyone who saw SIRIUSMODESELEKTOR, any idea of the kind of setlists they playing? any songs you can list would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭hellfish08

anyone who saw SIRIUSMODESELEKTOR, any idea of the kind of setlists they playing? any songs you can list would be much appreciated.

I remember Evil Twin, not sure about the rest but they were one of my highlights

Advertisement