Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

He simply won't calm down for new or infrequent visitors!

• 15-12-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

So, we've been working very hard with Opie and the only remaining issue that affects us day-to-day. He will absolutely not, despite our best efforts, calm down when we have visitors or when we go visiting. When myself or my partner come in, he usually tries to jump once and then sits for a pet, and usually fetches his ball for a game (we found asking him to get his ball was much more effective than making him sit when we came in). But if anyone else calls, he goes stone mad! When my in-laws call once a week, we're forced to crate him as my MIL is barely 5ft tall and he has given her some seriously bad scratches on her face just from jumping. I've had them tell him to get his ball, to sit, even to use the clicker and have tried keeping him on the lead and doing the whole reward-approach thing, but it hasn't even slightly lessened the problem! The same thing happens if we take him with us to someone else's house (unless they have a dog). My mother won't have him in the house because he literally assaults everyone!

He's getting PLENTY of exercise, both at home and on walks, and we work regularly with him to exhaust him mentally as well. He's getting neutered in the New Year (although I don't know that this will help with that).
    Anything I'm not trying, or missing?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think you need to enlist the help of people here... Invite people around to your house with the express goal of training Opie.
    A couple of things to try... First, your guests should ensure that they're just inside the door when Opie approaches them, so that they can retreat quickly out the door when he tries to jump up. They should mark the moment he fecked up with a "ah ah!" or such, then immediately leave the room.
    You can also try getting your guests to stand on his lead so that he can stand normally, but cannot launch himself any higher than that.
    In both cases (I far prefer the former), he gets serious praise and rewards for not jumping up, bearing in mind that if he jumps up in the middle of rewarding him, he gets another "ah ah!" and the person disappears again.
    Merging these two can work well too... use the door for the initial jumping up, then when he does keep all fours on the floor, they should stand on the lead so that he gets more opportunities to learn to keep calm.
    Have you and your OH pratised acting like lunatics when you come in? If not, I'd suggets that before you fo they above, you get Opie used to you guys doing some mental things in return for a sit, or a fetch-the-ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah the key is having co-operative guests/helpers. I have 2 brothers - one is on board with what we ask him to do with the dogs and they'll come and greet him and then sit beside him and go asleep or go off and do their own thing... the other has friends who are into dominance theory and all of the crap and has always refused to co-operate because "he shouldn't have to". It's an absolute nightmare when he visits and we end up having to cate or put them on lead because they just go bananas. He's also a stress head so they react to us stressing out that he might be in a bad mood. It's more Bailey than Lucy going mad but if he's going mad she joins in! NIGHTMARE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Unfortunately also very low on willing participants. Very few people coming to my house are willing to even entertain him. The only person would be my father-in-law, and since they live an hour's drive away and we only see them once a week, his efforts aren't helping much. He seems to be more excited the longer it's been since he has seen someone. Example he rarely ever jumps on me, but sometimes you can see him restrain himself mid-jump if that makes sense. My partner is out 9-4 every day, and he would probably get a few jumps before Opie tries to behave. When the in-laws came last week we had to crate him for about 20 minutes and when we let him out he went mental for about 5 minutes and then calmed down. When my sister called yesterday morning (he's maybe seen her 2 or 3 times) it took 20 minutes to calm him enough to carry him to the crate, and he howled in there for another 10!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Elly is the same, it drives me mental! Everytime she sees me after I've been out, away or in another room she jumps all over me. Usually nipping at anything and everything she can grab!!
    We get very few visitors here, so am trying to work on it ourselves.
    I can manage it when she's been outside as I've discovered she doesn't like our dog towel. So I hold it up against me to stop her jumping and then reward her. But I can't walk round holding a smelly dog towel all the time!

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Elly is the same, it drives me mental! Everytime she sees me after I've been out, away or in another room she jumps all over me. Usually nipping at anything and everything she can grab!!
    We get very few visitors here, so am trying to work on it ourselves.
    I can manage it when she's been outside as I've discovered she doesn't like our dog towel. So I hold it up against me to stop her jumping and then reward her. But I can't walk round holding a smelly dog towel all the time!

Opie will literally do backflips on request if I'm holding the clicker, and I try to get my OH to use it as well (he's extremely impatient as he was so used to the impeccably-trained Shadow, which he never saw as a 6-month old collie pup :p ). If he even hears the keyring part jingle when I put my hand in my pocket, he sticks his arse to the floor and will stay sitting for anything up to 5 minutes. But that only seems to be the case for me. For Pierce it can be 3 or 4 tries before he will stay sitting, and for anyone else - not at all. I'm hoping to continue working on it until he gets neutered and see if the lack of raging hormones might chill him out a bit and make him less distracted.

• Advertisement

Do you use the clicker when your OH comes home and when visitors arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dortilolma

The jumping up and nipping is frustrating. We've made great headway with Lexi and her doing it to us but she's still terribly excitable with new people. When we're on walks I have to keep her leash very short when we're passing people as she'll try and jump on anyone who shows her any attention.

We very rarely have visitors but we have guests coming over this weekend and they are all going to get instructions on how to react to Lexi when they meet her.

If she jumps up or tries to grab a hand, me and my OH say 'No' firmly then fold our arms and turn away from her. We've had quite a lot of success with this approach. She still jumps up when she is in a play frenzy (and that's usually a good time to start calming down) but she rarely jumps up on us and very rarely grabs our hands.

DBB wrote: »
    Do you use the clicker when your OH comes home and when visitors arrive?

Yeah, we have one in the car that he will take in in his pocket when he comes home. If he isn't paying attention and you click it, he drops everything to come and see what the clicker "made" for him to eat. I've tried it with visitors and he ignores it if they use it, and he will break away for a split second if myself or OH does it. He calms quicker if they stay standing, but if anyone sits he gets worse again. I'm thinking I might have to buy packets of chicken or turkey and up the treat value and maybe he will break away for longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

We have the opposite problem, sort of. The only visitor who comes by regularly is my neighbour, who usually brings her dog, and she loves both of them. But yesterday my brother-in-law and his 2 daughters (3 and 4) came by, and she was scared of him as he is genormous, about 6'6", and more than half as wide! And also nervous of the kids, as they aren't as predictable as my sister's, don't seem to get the concept of "move back a bit", or "give the dog some space", and just generally don't seem to have the sort of empathy for animals that the twins have. She "got" that immediately, and just can not even begin to relax around them, the way she is starting to around the twins.

When she is out and about, she is thrilled to meet new people, although I'm not sure how she is with enormous ones, as we have a shortage of them in my day-to-day life! Hubby is only 5'10", and wiry! I had to teach her sit calmly beside me when we meet people in neutral locations, especially outdoor or spacious ones, as she used to absolutely throw herself at them otherwise. I was never punitive or aversive about it, just that's what we did in a calm, happy manner. But I wonder have I made her unsure about meeting new people indoors, or was this always just a threatening situation to her?

She was always inclined to pee when greeted by other people, and I have worked on this, not allowing them to do so straight away when she meets them, getting her to sit and calm down, and never allowing them to pat her on the head. And she has improved a lot, but still will get fits where it is tending to happen. Wondering does anyone have further advice about either problem, apart from what we're doing already?

My dad is a bit taller than hubby, and much wider, and he managed to handle meeting her, under my instruction, over at theirs last weekend without any leakage, even though he isn't great with dogs. But brother-in-law has never liked taking advice on anything, so he jumped a bit ahead of my instructions, and she wouldn't trust him after that!

Nyssa really does like to see people following the instructions, I notice. An amusing coincidence, seeing as she looks a bit like a Lego dog :P

41FnzCRY%2B6L._SY300_.jpg

10446590_10201664268766923_2121436808145711196_n.jpg?oh=a7bb154b843c6bf54e0ea66f3af59d2c&oe=54FD23ED&__gda__=1426831977_925b263fd88ee8949544243bfc4dbae4

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Yeah, we have one in the car that he will take in in his pocket when he comes home. If he isn't paying attention and you click it, he drops everything to come and see what the clicker "made" for him to eat. I've tried it with visitors and he ignores it if they use it, and he will break away for a split second if myself or OH does it.

Sorry if it seems I'm being pedantic here! But can you describe at what stage in the sequence of events are people using the clicker?
    So, people arrive, Opie runs up to greet them, they/you ask him to sit/get his ball, he may or may not do it. Where does the clicker get clicked in this chain of events?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Sorry about cutting in on your thread, just a question about Nyssa's fearful behaviours - might it be helpful to give her Mimulous at times when the triggers are likely to happen? And also, to bring it back on topic, might there be any such remedy that could help with Opie's troubles? Like just Rescue Remedy, or is there something that is more effective than that for over-excitement?

DBB wrote: »
    Sorry if it seems I'm being pedantic here! But can you describe at what stage in the sequence of events are people using the clicker?
    So, people arrive, Opie runs up to greet them, they/you ask him to sit/get his ball, he may or may not do it. Where does the clicker get clicked in this chain of events?

Not at all! People come to the door and if he is off-lead, he usually runs (and has his front paws levitated for impact :p ) at whoever it is and as soon as he is within jumping distance, he is told to sit or get his ball. If it is me coming in the door, he drops instantly and gets his ball so for people he sees regularly, it's extremely effective. If I am here and someone else is visiting, I usually give them the clicker or I will call him and let him see it. If there is no-one there and he sees it, he will come and sit without being asked :D But he will continue to jump and lick furiously at anyone other than myself and my partner. Maybe the clicker is coming in at the wrong time?

ferretone wrote: »
    Sorry about cutting in on your thread, just a question about Nyssa's fearful behaviours - might it be helpful to give her Mimulous at times when the triggers are likely to happen? And also, to bring it back on topic, might there be any such remedy that could help with Opie's troubles? Like just Rescue Remedy, or is there something that is more effective than that for over-excitement?

I hadn't thought of this, and since I know this kind of stuff is meant to be used in conjunction with training, it would be some kind of perfect! I always know exactly when a trigger will occur, as my in-laws are the only people who visit here and we see the car long before they get to the door (we live in a very busy estate so Opie hasn't realised the difference in a car outside our house or a car next door). We always have 45 minutes notice before they call as well, so something to calm him and make him more receptive to commands he is already very familiar with would be great!!!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Maybe the clicker is coming in at the wrong time?

Okay, here goes.
    I'm taking it from what you've said that the clicker is visible to Opie, and always has been? I say this because you say as soon as he sees it, he does what you want him to do.
    This is why I don't like the clicker being visible to the dog during training, because as the saying goes, if you allow him to see it (many, many people point the clicker towards the dog before clicking it, as if it's a remote control... this is not good), then it "becomes part of the cue"... in other words, if the clicker is suddenly not visible to the dog before you ask him to do something, the cue is incomplete, reducing the chances of the dog recognising the cue in the way you had intended it.

Can I just check that the clicker was introduced properly to him in the first place?
    To intro it, you keep a bowl of treats near you, I usually keep them out of sight of the dog.
    With the clicker behind your back or in your pocket, you click it, then reach for a piece of food to give the dog. The treat should not be waved in front of the dog prior to the clicker being clicked.
    So, it's: click> reach for treat> give treat> repeat a number of times (10-20 clicks in the intro session is usually enough to create the necessary conditioning that click = food)

Once the above "charging" is done, then the clicker is ever after used as a marker for behaviours you like. So, when teaching the sit, the dog is for example lured into the sit position using a treat. As soon as his butt hits the floor, the clicker whilst held in the pocket or behind your back is clicked. Or you can invest in a ring-clicker (thanks for the tip tk123 :P)
    If he does not sit, the click simply does not happen.

So, when Opie comes running to you, the sequence should be (in the early stages): Opie approaches you, you ask him to sit. He sits. You click (clicker out of sight). You treat him.
    But if Opie approaches, and you ask him to sit, but he does not sit, you do not click.
    In fact, I would be inclined to start using a very clear "non-reward marker" to let him know he's going to lose out if he jumps up, or even when he does that pre-jump up levitation! I would be inclined to not encourage the jumping up behaviour at the very early stages of its appearance, and it looks like the levitation is his prelude to jumping up? Would that be right?

By a non-reward marker (NRM), I mean a very clear verbal and visual signal that tells him "keep that up, and you lose out". A verbal NRM might be "uh uh!", or "No!", or the americanism I see being used by a lot of trainers... "too bad!", complete with american accent. *ahem* :o
    The visual signals are usually more powerful because dogs are far more responsive to visual cues than verbal ones (hence the problem you're having that you have to show him the clicker prior to him doing stuff). So, make these very clear: stand bold upright, looking staright ahead, arms across chest. Turning your back is also a strong NRM. However, young dogs can still jump on you when you do these things, so they MUST learn that these visual signals are a prelude to something kinda bad happening.
    And by "kinda bad", I mean that the greeting he was anticipating will not happen, and worse, the human he was expecting to greet disappears.
    Thisis why practising this near a door is very useful. If when you tell him no, and you give the visual signals, and he still levitates and or/jumps up, you immediately leave the room, closing the door behind you.
    If you just stand there and ignore him, he's still getting a buzz out of jumping up on you, and this is reinforcing the behaviour. But the buzz disappears once the human disappears, and it is a really effective punishment. You can come back in a few moments later and repeat the sequence. Levitating and jumping up must never, ever again be reinforced, unwittingly or otherwise.
    Remember through all of this, if he sits, he gets the click and the reward... it is vital to always give the dog a choice: behave like an idiot and lose out, behave like a polite dog and get lots of nice stuff. But putting yourself in a position to take yourself away from his excesses, using the door, is really important.

Whilst he might be reasonably good for you, I think you can also do some work yourself to get him used to novelty at the door. Once he is reliably sitting for you, and I mean sitting without any levitating beforehand, then you can gradually prolong the duration between him sitting, and the click happening. Once you've duration built in, you can start to build in distraction, coming in the door with a bit more of a flourish, making more noise, making odd movements.. until eventually you're almost inviting him to jump up on you, but he's at the stage that his self-control has improved so much that he knows that people doing weird, exciting stuff = sit = click = treat.

One thing that the clicker is definitely not meant to be used for, and I've seen it a lot, is that people use it to attract the dog's attention without the dog actually doing anything... for instance, people charge the clicker as above, then after that start to use it if, for example, the dog doesn't listen to them when they call him... they click to make the dog come to them... rather than getting the dog to come to them in order to receive a click, if you see the difference! The former is not clicker training, the latter is.

and she was scared of him as he is genormous, about 6'6", and more than half as wide!

She was always inclined to pee when greeted by other people,

I think you need to encourage people to get down on their hunkers to greet her: especially taller people. The trick is to get down on the hunkers, and turn to one side so that you-re presenting a minimal body-size to the dog, and the hunkered position tends to be very attractive to dogs, they can't help but investigate. The person can offer her a few really high-value treats, and start to put her on her chest and chin, gradually moving their hand up over her head.
    Once she has this initial intro done, the person can gently unfurl themselves.

As for strange kids, I think having the dog trained to sit, and maybe give the paw or do something amusing is a great intro to kids, and means the whole thing happens under control. If she is sitting and polite, then the kids can offer her those really high value rewards, thus helping to change how she feels about them. I would put her away if the kids are not playing ball with your training and potentially doing harm by getting in her face too much. She's better having no experience than a bad experience.
    But I would urge you to beg, borrow and steal children so that you can practise this with her... there's nowt worse than a dog who is leery around children, and now is the time to address it asap.

might it be helpful to give her Mimulous at times when the triggers are likely to happen? And also, to bring it back on topic, might there be any such remedy that could help with Opie's troubles? Like just Rescue Remedy, or is there something that is more effective than that for over-excitement?

In the absence of any compelling evidence, I personally have no faith whatsoever in the flower remedies :) They can do no harm, but quite frankly I've never observed any improvement in a dog from using them!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

DBB thanks for the brilliantly simple guidelines on clicker training. Makes a lot more sense than what I had been reading!! this is our goal over christmas!

angeldaisy wrote: »
    DBB thanks for the brilliantly simple guidelines on clicker training. Makes a lot more sense than what I had been reading!! this is our goal over christmas!

Oh! Good! I do think it's such a simple concept, but jeez, it can be difficult enough to explain!

I think it's a good idea to practise clicker training a human before your dog :D
    It means you can get feedback from the human about your timing, and whether you're actually telling your human/dog what you think you're telling them.
    So, for example, decide a task you're going to teach your OH without telling them what the task is... nothing horribly complicated. Maybe putting a hand on their head? Touching their nose with their finger? Reaching out to touch you?
    All you can tell them is that the click means that they've done a part of the sequence right, that they're heading int he right direction. It's like a game of Hot/Cold: the clicker tells them they're getting warmer, whilst no click tells them they're cold.
    They will move around, searching for something that works, something that makes you click. Eventually, they will make a movement that's something like what you're looking for. Click it.
    e.g. say you're teaching them to touch their head. If their hand moves upwards at all, click it. They will repeat that behaviour. Click it again. Once they show they know it's a rising hand that you're clicking (they will keep doing it), then you start to withhold the click until they raise their hand a little higher... click this slightly improved version.
    And so on, until they are touching their head.
    Then you can ask them what it felt like, how quickly did they realise what it was you wanted, how they felt about not succeeding, and can tell you if something you did made them feel confused.
    You don't have the luxury of this feedback with your dog, but it can give you some valuable insight into how a dog might feel when we're trying to teach him something new!

Just not at home at this minute to reply properly DBB but you've given me a lot to work with! On the topic of the clicker though, it is clicked in my pocket - I usually have it in there with the treats as it makes it easier to click and reward without pause. He knows what it looks like because he's seen me lift it and put it into my pocket and give it to others to put in their own pockets.

Yes, that's right - I kid you not! He has seen it maybe 4 or 5 times, never when being clicked, but knows that is what does it. He is way, way, WAY too smart for his own good.

On a side note, he had a 10 min play time with Abigail today, the difference in his stance was incredible. Absolutely astounding. He slowed to a crawl on his belly and licked her feet and hair nice and gently and I really couldn't believe it! She stared in amazement at him trying to offer her his ball to throw (and we made sure she "threw" it for him).

Actually, MIL came back today with the baby, and as she was coming in she met my OH coming back from lunch and they both came in together. Oddly, when OH told him to get his ball, he did it, and calmed much quicker than he would if MIL came in on her own. Do you think there's anything to that?

Advertisement