Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferry Delay of 3 days - Future Trip Voucher in place of a fare re-imbursement

Options
  • 15-12-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

I was caught up in the recent heavy seas plus a boat technical problem trying to get back from Cairnryan in Scotland to Belfast on a ferry.

Ended up driving to Holyhead instead on Friday to get a boat as the next scheduled sailing was a saturday and i was originally meant to go on Wednesday morning.

The company has given me a voucher for 50% off my next trip with them but i dont really need this as it was a once off trip.

There are new EU rules in 2012 re. delays over 4hrs and compensation for this.

Its in their T+C's that they can offer an alternative to a refund if they wish, am i within my right to get 50% of the fare back instead of a 50% off next trip voucher?

Thanks for assistance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I'd take the voucher and run.
    http://www.consumercouncil.org.uk/filestore/documents/Plain_Sailing.pdf
    The ferry company must pay the compensation within one month of your application for compensation. The compensation must be paid in money if you request this, otherwise the compensation may be paid in vouchers for future travel provided the conditions are flexible regarding the period of validity and the destination. If the amount of compensation due is less than €6, the ferry company is not required to pay the compensation. The ferry company is not required to provide compensation if it proves the delay is caused by weather conditions which endanger the safe operation of the vessel or by extraordinary circumstances. Extraordinary circumstances could include, for example, natural disasters, strikes, search and rescue operations and decisions taken by traffic management bodies or port authorities. Certain technical problems could also be considered extraordinary circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I know weather was a big issue last week, but there was another issue where there was physical damage to a berth which stopped the ferry berthing.

Was it the weather, or the damage that got you?

Advertisement