Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DMC: Definitive Edition PS4 and Xbox One Remaster

Options
  • 15-12-2014 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭

We’ve taken on-board player feedback and implemented many of the most requested features. In addition, we’ve given DmC a full, next-gen makeover, with uprezzed graphics and a silky smooth running speed of 60 fps at 1080p. DmC Definitive Edition also comes bundled with all released DLC and a host of new modes.

Here are just some of the awesome new features of DmC: Definitive Edition:
    60 fps and 1080p resolution — It looks and feels super smooth to play.
    Uprezzed Graphics — Including textures, characters, and cinematics.
    Big Bundle of Content — The game includes DmC: Devil May Cry, plus all released DLC: Vergil’s Downfall campaign, 3 Dante skins, 3 Dante weapon skins, and the item finder.
    New Skins — 2 new character skins. Devil May Cry 1 Dante and Classic Vergil.
    Turbo Mode — Turbo Mode returns to the Devil May Cry series, with the game running 20% faster in this mode.
    Hardcore Mode — Hardcore mode retains the experience of DmC, but with a throwback to the classic Devil May Cry games in terms of balance. In this mode, which can be toggled on all difficulty levels, the style system has been rebalanced to make ranking up much harder and ranks deteriorate much quicker. In addition, Devil Trigger doesn’t launch enemies into the air, parrying takes more skill, and all enemies hand out more damage.
    Manual Target Lock — We’ve seen more requests for this than any other feature! The manual target lock works as closely to the classic Devil May Cry lock on as possible and has fully configurable controls.
    Vergil Bloody Palace — Only second to Manual Target Lock in terms of the number of fan requests! This is a new Bloody Palace mode featuring 60 levels and Vergil as the playable character.
    Must Style Mode — This is a hardcore modifier on an epic scale that can be played over any difficulty level. Players must be at an S rank or higher to deal any damage to enemies.
    Gods Must Die Difficulty Mode — This is DmC Definitive Edition’s hardest difficulty mode. It takes DmC’s ridiculously hard Dante Must Die mode and adds a touch more punishment: All enemies spawn with Devil Trigger active and no items or health drops can be used.
    Rebalanced and Retuned — We’ve studied fan feedback and made a whole host of tweaks and balance changes. The style system has been rebalanced, as have bosses. Exploits have been fixed in combat and some of Dante’s moves rebalanced, such as the Demon Evade. Gameplay tweaks have been made following hardcore player testing; frames have been removed from Kablooey shots, Parry/Evade windows adjusted, and collectibles, keys and doors redistributed.
    Integration of Popular Community Mods — DmC Definitive Edition includes community mods such as an optional timer disable for Bloody Palace Mode, a triple dash for Angel Evade, and the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.
    New Cutscene — an added cinematic scene that never made it into the original.
    It’s due for release digitally on March 17th for RRP $39.99 / EUR 39.99 / GBP 29.99.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Pretty interested in this to be honest. I'm a massive fan of series but after playing the demo of DmC, I was resigned to the fact that I was just going to have to avoid it. The feature set in this one could change that though, between Hardcore Mode, the addition of the manual lock-on and the jump back to 60fps, it seems to fix many of my qualms with the original release.

Should be interesting to see how it turns out anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

DmC 4 being remastered also for a summer release. Don't remember much about it other than not particularly enjoying it at the time it came out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, some of those changes would make me interested in this although wasn't 30 FPS supposed to be fine for these types of games? :P

Ninja Theory did pretty well with the combat in the game but as Bayonetta 2 showed they didn't quite nail it but it was a good attempt considering how god awful the combat in their previous games had been. A bit of polish should really help make it a much better game. However there's a few flaws I'd love to see fixed as well but might be too much of an ask, specifically the enemies that take damage to specific attacks ruined the end game since it disrupted the combat system and was really badly thought out and the bosses were just terrible all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

DMC 3 gave me repetitive strain injuries using some gummy Logitech PC Controller. Never again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm way more excited for DMC4SE. DMC4, while definitely flawed, was still a fantastic game, and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than DmC. Plus one of DMC4's biggest problems was the story, which, if they're reintroducing Vergil into it, should significantly fill some of the plot holes.

I think I'll hold off a while on DmC, but DMC4 will be a day one purchase as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Thats actually a remake I would like. I was one of those who was really against new Dante, but I gave it a go on ps3 as it was free game and I liked it a lot.
    Getting 60fps version of that sounds good for me. Surely I could play it on PC, but I would much prefer to play that on Console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont half ass vergil move set in dmc 4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

DMC wasn't a bad game.
    I quite enjoyed it....the story was a bit pants..but most of the DMC ones are.

I think it's a bit OTT to be remastering it already though....I hope this doesn't set others down the same path so we have remastered versions of everything that came out 1 year later.

I can understand remastering it if there was a huge leap in graphics, or if it's 5/6 + years later

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    the story was a bit pants

Ah now that's nowhere near harsh enough. It's almost Kingdom Hearts levels of bad :D

I actually don't mind this remaster if they are tweaking the gameplay as they say they will. If they do it right they could turn a good game into a great one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The game was ok but I just don't get this trend for rereleasing games just for the new generation of consoles. The extra features are just pathetic to be honest. A few skins and some tweaking to make the thing harder for £30? I have the PC version so I'll be ignoring this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The game was ok but I just don't get this trend for rereleasing games just for the new generation of consoles. The extra features are just pathetic to be honest. A few skins and some tweaking to make the thing harder for £30? I have the PC version so I'll be ignoring this.
    Have their really been enough releases to qualify as a trend? :confused:

As for the DMC one, it's release brings 60fps gameplay to the consoles and, on paper at least, a bunch of improvements that fans of the previous games asked for. It's not about making it simply harder, it's about making it better. That's pretty much the polar opposite of pathetic in my book.

Had they not announced this then I may have picked up the PC version at some point to at least address the frame rate deficiency but from playing the demo of the original release, the gameplay issues were always going to be there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gizmo wrote: »
    As for the DMC one, it's release brings 60fps gameplay to the consoles and, on paper at least, a bunch of improvements that fans of the previous games asked for. It's not about making it simply harder, it's about making it better. That's pretty much the polar opposite of pathetic in my book.

The new difficulties could have been patches for the current version though I don't know about the fps cap. Anyway, I wouldn't say it's worth the price of a new PC game.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The new difficulties could have been patches for the current version though I don't know about the fps cap. Anyway, I wouldn't say it's worth the price of a new PC game.
    I can't see them making that kind of an update to what will be a two plus year old game though. The jump to 60fps alone is also a big deal for the game since the drop to 30fps was so widely derided for the original release. As for the price, I guess I'm less sensitive to it since I avoided the first version and so don't really mind forking out the £30 (RRP, mind you) for the re-release with the additional content and bundled DLC.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I actually don't mind this remaster if they are tweaking the gameplay as they say they will. If they do it right they could turn a good game into a great one.

To be honest, even the listed tweaks wouldn't make me consider it to be a great game. There were a lot of things wrong with that game, including much of the level design, enemy design, gameplay, camera etc which aren't going to be changed.

And that's disregarding the story/character/dialogue failures in the game...

Penn wrote: »
    To be honest, even the listed tweaks wouldn't make me consider it to be a great game. There were a lot of things wrong with that game, including much of the level design, enemy design, gameplay, camera etc which aren't going to be changed.

And that's disregarding the story/character/dialogue failures in the game...

While I'm not keen on the idea of these rereleases, the fact that they're addressing so little of the game's issues and then pricing it at £30 is what irritates me. I'm aware that it's not pragmatic to fix many issues, especially those requiring new art assets. At least Konami fixed the damn camera of MGS3 but then that was a stellar entry in the MGS series to begin with.

While I'm not keen on the idea of these rereleases, the fact that they're addressing so little of the game's issues and then pricing it at £30 is what irritates me. I'm aware that it's not pragmatic to fix many issues, especially those requiring new art assets. At least Konami fixed the damn camera of MGS3 but then that was a stellar entry in the MGS series to begin with.
    Just out of curiosity, what would you regard as a fair price point?

For instance, the game is currently £10 new via Amazon on the current gen consoles. The re-release has been ported to the next-gen consoles and comes with a list of performance, gameplay and graphic enhancements along with all of the original DLC. Surely £30 is pretty much spot on for all of this? Maybe £25 at a push but is there a reasonable argument that it should only be a tenner more than the original game?

Just out of curiosity, what would you regard as a fair price point?

For instance, the game is currently £10 new via Amazon on the current gen consoles. The re-release has been ported to the next-gen consoles and comes with a list of performance, gameplay and graphic enhancements along with all of the original DLC. Surely £30 is pretty much spot on for all of this? Maybe £25 at a push but is there a reasonable argument that it should only be a tenner more than the original game?

£15. Maybe £20. The Resident Evil remake's looking at about that and that took a lot more work than touching up a current gen game. I read that somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Considering that I'd be looking at £30-£40 for a brand new game, I think this is excessive. I'm amazed it's happening to be honest as I thought the thing didn't sell terribly well to begin with.

I'd say hold off buying it for 4 months and it will be 10-15 online like the original.

I'm amazed that there hasn't been some sort of announcement regarding a sequel or the series' future yet. Hopefully, it'll mean an end to this reboot shenanigans....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

unlike the likes of tomb raider devil may cry never needed a reboot but a continuation of dmc 4 with nero being easier to play as for new comers while dante was the one to master.

I cannot see anything other than capcom thought using a westren developer would equal more sales which ended up pissing off jaan and the core devil may cry fans in the west.

Ninja Theory were awful cocky and arrogant if I remember correctly with interviews regarding dmc fans with also not mentioning they had a terrible time developing the game they needed help from capcom team to speed up development.

while I only played the demo of dmc devil may cry it put e right off the game and I cannot see for the life of me how the reboot has a fanbase let alone people thinking its the best in the series.

£15. Maybe £20. The Resident Evil remake's looking at about that and that took a lot more work than touching up a current gen game. I read that somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Considering that I'd be looking at £30-£40 for a brand new game, I think this is excessive. I'm amazed it's happening to be honest as I thought the thing didn't sell terribly well to begin with.
    Really? Huh. Resident Evil ReRe-make comparison wise, I'd imagine Capcom are balancing the work that's gone into it against the fact that it's a HD remake of a 13-year old game. As such, I'm not entirely sure it's a valid comparison, especially when you factor in the new content in the DMC release along with the still valuable (or at least having some value) DLC for the current game.

Then again, the fact that you're looking at as little as £30 for a brand new game is pretty indicative of the ongoing trend towards the general devaluation of games and would most certainly affect your opinion on the subject. That, however, is a topic for an entirely different thread. :)

As for sales, it didn't. But with Ninja Theory now probably familiar with next-gen dev thanks to their work on Hellblade, I imagine Capcom tapped them for a re-release aimed at fans who were critical of the first release for some of the reasons stated above.

Really? Huh. Resident Evil ReRe-make comparison wise, I'd imagine Capcom are balancing the work that's gone into it against the fact that it's a HD remake of a 13-year old game. As such, I'm not entirely sure it's a valid comparison, especially when you factor in the new content in the DMC release along with the still valuable (or at least having some value) DLC for the current game.

Then again, the fact that you're looking at as little as £30 for a brand new game is pretty indicative of the ongoing trend towards the general devaluation of games and would most certainly affect your opinion on the subject. That, however, is a topic for an entirely different thread. :)

As for sales, it didn't. But with Ninja Theory now probably familiar with next-gen dev thanks to their work on Hellblade, I imagine Capcom tapped them for a re-release aimed at fans who were critical of the first release for some of the reasons stated above.

I was making the comparison because a lot more work would be needed to port the Gamecube version of REmake over to PC and the new consoles but I could be wrong. Things like the new difficulties and skins wouldn't constitute much AFAIK.

I live in the UK where £40 seems to be the going rate for a new console game while £30 seems to be the standard for most Steam games. The rerelease of Deus Ex: HR actually fixed the main criticism of the game and was released for a lot less than £30. Then, that might not be fair as the rerelease didn't involve new consoles.

In any case, I've no problem with new games costing £40/€60/whatever. What I object to are games getting a touch up with consumers expected to fork out over half the retail value. I think we're going off topic here so I'll leave it at that.

I was making the comparison because a lot more work would be needed to port the Gamecube version of REmake over to PC and the new consoles but I could be wrong. Things like the new difficulties and skins wouldn't constitute much AFAIK.
    Oh it'd certainly be more work, what I meant is, it's more work on a much older game which I imagine would result in Capcom being more cautious about with over pricing. With DMC being newer I imagine they'd be less sensitive to that and would be looking at it more along the lines of current price + addition of new content + bundling of existing content resulting in the suggested pricing.
    I live in the UK where £40 seems to be the going rate for a new console game while £30 seems to be the standard for most Steam games. The rerelease of Deus Ex: HR actually fixed the main criticism of the game and was released for a lot less than £30. Then, that might not be fair as the rerelease didn't involve new consoles.
    Same boat here and from what I've seen the next-gen games have been hovering at £40 to £50 in most cases. The kicker there is next-gen though and with DMC being released on the new consoles, it'll probably get a bit of a premium added to its price tag for that very reason.
    In any case, I've no problem with new games costing £40/€60/whatever. What I object to are games getting a touch up with consumers expected to fork out over half the retail value. I think we're going off topic here so I'll leave it at that.
    Indeed, interesting to hear your opinion on the matter though, ta. :)

I'm amazed that there hasn't been some sort of announcement regarding a sequel or the series' future yet. Hopefully, it'll mean an end to this reboot shenanigans....

I'd almost say they're going to try and gauge which re-release does better and use it to see which direction the fans would prefer the series to continue on with. Only thing that makes sense to do a Special Edition of DMC4 seven years after the initial release, and after a reboot of the series.

The sales and reception to both will likely determine which series is the one to continue.

I think I've missed something. PS4 and XBox One games are still pricier, aren't they. £30 mightn't be too bad. I've not bought a console game in years (yep, actual years). I thought £40 was the going rate for a new PS4 game. I've not checked so maybe it still is now the consoles have been out for a while.

I'd almost say they're going to try and gauge which re-release does better and use it to see which direction the fans would prefer the series to continue on with. Only thing that makes sense to do a Special Edition of DMC4 seven years after the initial release, and after a reboot of the series.

The sales and reception to both will likely determine which series is the one to continue.

Hopefully. Anyway, I read a post by Retr0gamer once saying that Capcom were haemhorraging staff for a while and most of the old DMC team are gone. Not sure how pragmatic it'd be to return to make DMC5 but I'd love to see it happen. I hope they don't half-arse Vergil like they did with the DMC3:SE.

DMC sold poorly for Capcom so there was no plans for a sequel. They're probably trying to recoup the costs ala Tomb Raider which only made a profit after the remake. If it sells well enough they might consider a sequel.

Hopefully. Anyway, I read a post by Retr0gamer once saying that Capcom were haemhorraging staff for a while and most of the old DMC team are gone. Not sure how pragmatic it'd be to return to make DMC5 but I'd love to see it happen. I hope they don't half-arse Vergil like they did with the DMC3:SE.

In fairness, they kinda half-arsed Dante in DMC4 by mostly just having him go backwards through all Nero's levels, and meeting the same bosses. Only the huge amount of variation in Dante's weapons and styles made it worthwhile in terms of gameplay.

• Advertisement

In fairness, they kinda half-arsed Dante in DMC4 by mostly just having him go backwards through all Nero's levels, and meeting the same bosses. Only the huge amount of variation in Dante's weapons and styles made it worthwhile in terms of gameplay.

True. I think that part of the game had to be rushed which is a real shame. Both Dante and Nero were a lot of fun to play as though.

Advertisement