Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GOAL Miles

Options
  • 15-12-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭

Plenty of ones around the country: https://www.goalglobal.org/events/event/goal-mile

I'm kicking one off in Shanganagh on Christmas morning for anyone in the North Wicklow / South Dublin vicinity.

I'll have 3 races starting at 9:30, 9:40 and 9:50 and a small one at 9:00 for anyone who would like to both run and steward.
    Nice 1 mile loop on tarmac, pretty fast.
    Low key just turn up, donate and run, times will be called at the finish line, start in group and 2 subtract 10 mins from your time etc.

Hope to see a few there, maybe others involved can pop their miles up here also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

There seems to be lots of these around the country this year. I thought there was just the usual one on in Dublin. It might be a good opportunity to race that distance as not too many options out there. Do you donate online or on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Probably going to give the Tallaght one a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

There seems to be lots of these around the country this year. I thought there was just the usual one on in Dublin. It might be a good opportunity to race that distance as not too many options out there. Do you donate online or on the day?

On the day usually. I'll be up at the Shanganagh one, followed by a mandatory Xmas dip in the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I thought there was just the usual one on in Dublin.

The usual one? no GOAL mile in Belfield, there's no track there any more :(

Leopardstown race course from 10 to 2pm (this is now the flagship event)

GOAL mile is on in Tallaght from 9.30 to noon

Carrick on Suir at 11am, starting at Ormonde Castle

Newbridge on the track from 11 to 1

Raheny in St Annes park at 11am

Wexford town on Stephen's Day, on the quay front from 11 to 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I think Clonliffe Harriers do one in Morton Stadium on Christmas Eve. Is there not always one at the Papal Cross too?

The Raheny Shamrock one is great. It's a little bit different, in that it features a proper race down the avenue in St. Anne's (although not quite a mile!) usually won by one of their rising middle distance stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I see it says 'Time: 9am to 1pm'. Is there actually races every 10/20 mins, or do you just turn up and start running? Going to do one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

i think we need a table for this? Three columns : Name, Time, Note

https://www.goalglobal.org/events/event/goal-mile

Where|When|Note
    Shanganagh|9.30,9.40,9.50|Christmas morning for anyone in the North Wicklow / South Dublin vicinity
    Leopardstown race course|10am to 2pm|this is now the flagship event
    Tallaght Track|9.30 to noon|
    Carrick on Suir at 11am|11am|starting at Ormonde Castle
    Newbridge Track|11 to 1|
    Naas|11 to 12|Start at GAA, lap in Monread Park
    Raheny|11am|St Annes park
    Wexford town|Stephen's Day 11 to 1|on the quay front

pac_man wrote: »
    For those looking for a longer distance should come along to Waterstown Parkrun in Palmerstown. They are holding a 5k on Christmas day at the usual time of 9:30. It's a great little course and they will be running it in conjunction GOAL.

It's great that Palmerstown are putting this on, but why not stick to the format and just run a mile instead of a 5km? The name of the event is quiet clear.

I can just see this decending into the whole ladies mini marathon (10km) vs the real marathon debate again. "i ran the goal mile in palmerstown in christmas day, yeah - it was the slowest 5km i've ran all year". ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Parkrun organisation have mentioned that certain parkruns are to be held on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
    These are the only permitted event hostings outside of their regular sat morning events.
    Palmerstown is fitting into this and has nothing to do with the Goal mile events.
    I think it was just mentioned as another option for a xmas day run which also happens to be an official Goal fundraiser.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    Parkrun organisation have mentioned that certain parkruns are to be held on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

I'd be off the view that Parkruns should just stand down on Christmas Day and leave the Goal Mile events a clear run on the day. Every other Saturday of the year i'm happy to see them do their thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

emerald007 wrote: »
    I'd be off the view that Parkruns should just stand down on Christmas Day and leave the Goal Mile events a clear run on the day. Every other Saturday of the year i'm happy to see them do their thing.

This is happening in areas where there is a pre-existing Goal Mile, e.g Malahide and St Annes. The option to do a parkrun on Christmas day in these parks was swiftly declined on the basis that it would take away from GOAL. I dont think there is an existing GOAL mile in Waterstown Park, so running the parkrun as a GOAL fundraiser should bring in funds that otherwise may not materialise.

eoinín wrote: »
    I dont think there is an existing GOAL mile in Waterstown Park, so running the parkrun as a GOAL fundraiser should bring in funds that otherwise may not materialise.

I'm all for getting money raised for GOAL and i believe we're all on the same page on that one. Most of the Goal mile organisers are athletic club members, GAA club people or parkrun organisers on other days of the year but for Dec 25th they drop all the other names and just put on a mile race/walk for everyone to attend.

I appreciate there is no GOAL mile in Waterstown park atm, but I'd suggest it's up to the Waterstown Park Parkrun group to fill the gap this year but drop all the parkrun baggage of barcodes, times and one fixed start time. Just put on a mile race.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Do we have to register or can we just turn up on the morning ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone know if there's one in Kilkenny city or county?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Ososlo wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's one in Kilkenny city or county?

From the map in the OP, theres one near Thomastown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Stevo1983 wrote: »
    Do we have to register or can we just turn up on the morning ?

Just rock up

• Registered Users Posts: 18 johnnyfox24

Unfortunately the Leopardstown GOAL mile was only on in 2011, doesn't appear as a venue on the GOAL website this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Where|When|Note
    Shanganagh|9.30,9.40,9.50|Christmas morning for anyone in the North Wicklow / South Dublin vicinity
    Leopardstown race course|10am to 2pm|this is now the flagship event
    Newbridge Track|11 to 1|
    Fairgreen Running Track,Ennis|Christmas Day 11am to 1pm|St Josephs Entrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Unfortunately the Leopardstown GOAL mile was only on in 2011, doesn't appear as a venue on the GOAL website this year..

Yes the Article Raycun posted is from 2011 and it is not on the events list in the link in the OP. Will remove it from the table.

Where|When|Note
    Newbridge Track|11 to 1|
    Fairgreen Running Track,Ennis|Christmas Day 11am to 1pm|St Josephs Entrance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

There is a goal mile at Dangan running track in Galway. See local press for start times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My internet skills completely abandoned me today

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

emerald007 wrote: »

I appreciate there is no GOAL mile in Waterstown park atm, but I'd suggest it's up to the Waterstown Park Parkrun group to fill the gap this year

What do you mean "up to" the parkrun team to fill the gap? Do you mean they are somehow obliged to stage a run / race that has not existed in that location before?
    but drop all the parkrun baggage of barcodes, times and one fixed start time. Just put on a mile race.

Its actually much easier for a parkrun team to just put on another parkrun than to put on a run of a different length using different methodology / equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 foreverblue

There's also one on in Leixlip at the track at Le Cheile AC from 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Just rock up

Cheers, hoping to get the permission slip signed so I can do the Tallaght one :rolleyes:

Course for the Shanganagh GOAL Mile
    1959333_1562717980612064_664936214746379613_n.jpg?oh=12b98f6706c23090431189c08d0b28be&oe=553172CB&__gda__=1426629200_9eec16b57ddd6b86974c1574926135b8

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ArgieExile

Personally I'll be heading to the GOAL Mile at Irishtown Stadium, Ringsend, between 10 and 12 for a blow out before the festivities commence. If you check the Goal Website you can see a map with all the events all over the country.
    Happy Holidays to everyone..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Does everyone go at the start time or are there a number of runnings at each location?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

There is a GOAL mile in Round Tower GAA grounds on Monastery road, Clondalkin between 11am-12pm on St Stephens morning.

All welcome. Dublin Football manager Jim Gavin is starting us off.

• Advertisement

TheBazman wrote: »
    Does everyone go at the start time or are there a number of runnings at each location?

Usually multiple time starts, there'll be 3 in Shanganagh.

Advertisement