Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare Workstation

Options
  • 15-12-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I currently have VMWare Workstation v8 installed with all my machines working fine.

My understanding is that I need to go to version 10 to get support for Win 8.1. As V10 is a whole new install as opposed to an upgrade, will it play nice and realize I have an earlier version installed and offer to uninstall it first and keep my existing machines? or do I have to set them all up again?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It would be unusual for a professional product like that to not uninstall the previous version or not warn you of incompatibilities due to the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Your existing VMs will remain untouched. When you install Workstation V10 and try to open your old VMs, they will automatically get upgraded for use with V10.

There are a lot of differences between V8 and V10. If you are using virtual networks between VMs you will probably notice a lot of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Feelgood wrote: »
    Your existing VMs will remain untouched. When you install Workstation V10 and try to open your old VMs, they will automatically get upgraded for use with V10.

There are a lot of differences between V8 and V10. If you are using virtual networks between VMs you will probably notice a lot of change.

Does the process actually remove the older version (v8 in this case) while leaving the machines in tact or does the older version have to manually uninstalled.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Use virtualbox instead, it's free for personal use.

Advertisement