Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metro Herald to close on Friday

• 15-12-2014 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately Dublins free city paper the Metro Herald is closing on Friday

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/metro-herald-to-cease-publishing-on-friday-1.2038615

It was crap a lot of the time but I'll still miss it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Never seen a copy, so can't say I'll miss it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Delighted. Sick of blokes pushing it in my face, in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Enda will find a way to blame it on Sinn Fein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Will miss the guy at Capel Street and the quays handing them out. He was the happiest guy in the world.

Enda will find a way to blame it on Sinn Fein

Only took four posts...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Will miss the guy at Capel Street and the quays handing them out. He was the happiest guy in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Can't say I read it much but it's a horrible time of year to lose your job.

Rough on the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was recently given a lecture about the cost of advertising for the Metro Herald in my graphic design course.

The Metro Herald being a light newspaper in terms of content is very risky to become sustainable overtime. This sort of newspaper is known as a 3 minute read. People would read this paper that can be offered on the train, bus or the luas every morning and people finishing them would just leave them on the seats for the staff at any given time while commuters are heading into work.

I will miss the interesting articles and the funny pictures as well. Nearly having 10 years is a very good run for a small run newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

It was a pile of ****e tbf and as I am generally not a morning person the lads in the yellow jackets annoyed the crap out of me. I go by about 10 of them on my 20 minute walk to work with them constantly waving metros at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulosam

Ah no, will miss the cheerful Asian lady that hands them out near my work in the mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Damn it now where will I get my Nemi fix :'(
    This is appropriate
    http://www.currybet.net/images/blog2009/12/20091215_nemi-on-newspapers.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

so where can I get the daily Nemi comic now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Very very little Irish news in it. I reckon possibly 5% of the paper had Irish generated stories. Rest was from UK version, or ads. I am still surprised if failed, as it always had lots of ads. So felt it was a commercial success. How wrong I was...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Some day soon our children will be asking what a newspaper was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Some day soon our children will be asking what a newspaper was.

I'll be honest, I won't be holding up an old copy of the Metro as an example. Advertising freesheet maybe, Newspaper, hardly.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Delighted. Sick of blokes pushing it in my face, in the morning.

Lucky you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/metro-herald-to-cease-publishing-on-friday-1.2038615

It was crap a lot of the time but I'll still miss it.

DENIS O'BRIEN....this just HAS to have something to do with Denis :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm actually sad... It's a nice thing to have some mornings and the odd freebie as well. Nemi was the best bit.... I really feel for the staff.

Lucky you.

Why, thank you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

As a nation we do really find anything to give out about. it was free for gods sake. I never once received harassment from the staff in the yellow jackets handing them out in the morning, they didn't force it on you, if you didn't want it you just walked by or said no thanks. They were there in every sort of weather too and sometimes dressed up in fairly ridiculous outfits, probably for a minimum wage for those few hours in the morning too.

During the summer I had to get the luas from Heuston to the Citywest every weekday and the metro was nice to be able to have a look at on the way. Sure, the content wasn't fantastic but I'm sure there were many young journalists who started off getting their first pieces published in there. It had little novelty pieces that you wouldn't notice in other papers and had some other quirky bits and pieces. I for one will miss being able to catch up on the main stories of the previous day without having to use my mobile data while travelling. Each to their own though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I feel sorry for the people losing their jobs.
    I liked the people handing them out, they were always so cheery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Considering the news market in Ireland is shrinking rapidly, deciding to give away free papers every morning was one of the stupidest ideas on the planet.

Good ridance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

As a paper I thought it was very poor, I would normally buy a proper newspaper 3 times a week instead.

Just because it was free does not mean good. It was far from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

A waste of trees and good riddance but sorry for anybody who lost their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

The Metro was great for a 5 minute flick either travelling or else having breakfast. It was free for Gods sake. Werent they going to charge 1 cent or something for it a while ago but obv that didnt work

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Good riddance. It created more litter on public transport, which the cleaners need to clean up, which contributes in its own way towards higher fares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I know nothing about the media, but I always thought they had a great advertising demographic. The people I saw reading it were usually in their 20s/30s and commuters so desperate to read anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think its sad this will be gone it has been a part of Dublin for over a decade. No one ever said you had to take it. I always took it anytime I would be up in Dublin. Always enjoyed reading it too. Maybe lately it has not been as good as it used to be so maybe the writing was on the wall. There is not much in this world you get free so why moan about something that was free?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Red Alert wrote: »
    Good riddance. It created more litter on public transport, which the cleaners need to clean up, which contributes in its own way towards higher fares.

You can't be serious? Anytime i've been on a bus or luas in the middle of the day there's only ever a few metros laying about the seats. People usually pick them off seats and give them a read and they end up in the bin at some stage. There was hardly ever a metro litter epidemic where cleaners had to be compensated for the extra litter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Really disappointing to see it go, I've always enjoyed reading it with my coffee in the morning. It's nice to read the news on something other than my phone every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Never really read it much and I don't think those kind of papers really have a future - they're kinda twitter on paper - but not good to hear of people being laid off just before Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You can't be serious? Anytime i've been on a bus or luas in the middle of the day there's only ever a few metros laying about the seats. People usually pick them off seats and give them a read and they end up in the bin at some stage. There was hardly ever a metro litter epidemic where cleaners had to be compensated for the extra litter.

Interesting point there.

The first place I encountered a Metro publication was in Birmingham many years back.

Back then,Travel West Midlands buses were carpeted in the things,as well as having bundles of them lying on the luggage platform.

However,I'd have to say it never reached those levels in Dublin....which kinda gives the lie to the Dirty Dublin moniker in a way ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

great, now we'll all have to buy smart phones or make eye contact of some kind :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭seventeen sheep

sugarman wrote: »
    It was a crap paper, but I'd still take it every morning and read it front to back.. Prob twice over on my daily commute. Kept me occupied.

Can't comprehend anyone complaining about it tho, it was free! Take it or leave ffs.

My thoughts exactly!

Yes it was rubbish brainless stuff, but on a dark cold early winter's morning, would you really be arsed with anything else?

And the girl who gives it out at my local station is so lovely and friendly ... I'll miss her.

And when I get into town and leave the train station and am offered it again by more happy smiley people? All I have to do is smile back and say, "No thanks." It's no big effort.

I'll miss the Big Roides and the Good On Yas the most.

My thoughts exactly!

Yes it was rubbish brainless stuff, but on a dark cold early winter's morning, would you really be arsed with anything else?

And the girl who gives it out at my local station is so lovely and friendly ... I'll miss her.

And when I get into town and leave the train station and am offered it again by more happy smiley people? All I have to do is smile back and say, "No thanks." It's no big effort.

Yeah, i always felt bad for the ones who got the short straw and had to hand it out at the exit of the dart stations in town. I don't think anyone would take it off them after already getting one at the start of their journey.

Poor feckers going back to HQ with bags still full :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭NoMore MrNiceGuy

My thoughts exactly!

That was all I read. The letters page.

I'll tip the friendly girl outside my dart station Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I used to get the Dart out to Bray in the mornings and there would be a ridiculous amount left on the deserted train by the time I got off. Thrown all over the place as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Nodster

Durty southciders :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

so where can I get the daily Nemi comic now?

Just cut out a pic of her and stick it over a random inspirational quote - pretty much all that comic strip is most days.

I'll really miss the paper. Really nice to have something to flick through on the dart (or on the jacks in work).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Ahh no!! :(

I used to read it every day since I started my internship with Dublin Coach! I'd read it and walk to work, always made the morning a bit better! :( They had a really nice guy giving them out at the Luas and he'd be finished in minutes, always a big smile on his face. I reckon they moved him to a less successful area, because the next guy was a young lad and really grouchy.

Never good news to hear an employer going out of business, even if the majority of the workforce were non-nationals. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Red Alert wrote: »

Metro Herald had their own guys hop on the LUAS and pick up copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

i liked my free puzzles daily :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knightfly

Warper wrote: »
    The Metro was great for a 5 minute flick either travelling or else having breakfast. It was free for Gods sake. Werent they going to charge 1 cent or something for it a while ago but obv that didnt work

I thought that was an April fools joke. It's probably cost more to bank all those 1cent coins then then it's take in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 knightfly

Damn it now where will I get my Nemi fix :'(

Any ideas anybody? I found a link directing me to a page on the London Metro website, but when I followed it I got a 404 error

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

was handy for lighting the fire and drying out shoes and rugby boots etc, and cleaning the windows. will miss it's usefulness more than its content, always seemed to be previous days news.

Advertisement