Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agnus castus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,

as a silent follower of this forum, I have come across questions regarding Agnus castus a few times, so I thought I'd share some information. I am German, and in Germany, Agnus castus (or "Mönchspfeffer") is regulated and, as far as I know, only available over the counter in pharmacies. As such, it comes with a pretty extensive patient information leaflet which states quite clearly that Agnus castus should only be taken after consulting with your GP. It is used to regulate short cycles, reduce cyclical breast pain, and help against PMS. It is not to be taken if you suffer from breast cancer or tumors of the pituitary gland. Research shows it can help with fertility issues based on low progestogen levels.

Now the most important thing (which seems to be debated a lot in this forum): it is to be taken for the length of the ENTIRE cycle. You start taking it on the first day and take it every day at the same time. If you forget to take it, don't take it later but simply leave it out for that day and continue as normal the next. It is to be taken for a minimum of 3 cycles for it to take effect.

Agnus castus works in two ways: it inhibits the production of prolactin and stimulates the production of progestogen. The latter is particularly useful when it comes to fertility treatment if the second half of your cycle is too short or you show signs such as spotting before your period. That's why you need to take it for the entirety of your cycle, and that's why it isn't indicated for regulating very long cycles.

I'm taking tablets I got back home after consulting with my gynecologist (who also happens to be German) here in Ireland. The tablets contain 4 mg of Agnus castus, one to be taken a day.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi FurtherInfo, thanks for posting that. I must admit I didnt consult with my GP but I did read alot and took the general consensus as my guide to using AC. I understood that if you are taking it to regulate your cycles, you should take it for the full cycle. If you are taking it just to generally help the TTC process, you should only take it until ovulation and then cease.

As you probably read, I have taken it for 14 days. I'm on CD19 now and have had period type cramps as well as a sort of ovulation pain on my right side for over two days. Still no AF though. Either AC has completely buggered up my cycle or I'm pregnant and I'm more inclined to lean to the former though. I'll keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

Hopefully it's the later Yellow Hen. I had period type symptoms around 2 weeks before my period was due the last time and I was actually pregnant. Didn't experience anything like that with my first pregnancy so was really surprised. I've been dipping in and out of this forum for awhile while planning number 2 so I have everything crossed for you Yellow Hen :o

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi yellow hen,

I am myself trying to conceive my second child after successfully using AC for my first (after 4 months of TTC). Both back then and now again, my gyn stressed that I was to take it for the entire cycle. The leaflet says the same, and all the German sites do too. Exceptions are not mentioned at all. In fact, I have been told that it is a common misconception that AC should only be taken for the first 14 days.

However, I am not an expert!! I'd say discuss it with your GP in any case, see what they say. They know you better than some stranger on the internet, after all, and (hopefully) know a whole lot more on AC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Interesting reading especially as I had almost the opposite experience.
    It had an immediate effect on me & shortened my ovulation day from CD25-30 to CD13 both times I used & conceived with it.

• Advertisement

Nead21 wrote: »
    Hopefully it's the later Yellow Hen. I had period type symptoms around 2 weeks before my period was due the last time and I was actually pregnant. Didn't experience anything like that with my first pregnancy so was really surprised. I've been dipping in and out of this forum for awhile while planning number 2 so I have everything crossed for you Yellow Hen :o

I know, I'm allowing myself to get stupidly hopeful now! Almost afraid to go to the loo in case my period has arrived :o

yellow hen wrote: »
    I know, I'm allowing myself to get stupidly hopeful now! Almost afraid to go to the loo in case my period has arrived :o

Any idea when you could do a test or would it still be too early?

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Any idea when you could do a test or would it still be too early?

It's only cd19 and if I ovulated (which I mightn't have), it was prob only around cd14 so I'll have to wait. To be honest if rather wait than be keep disappointing myself with tests. I'm trying to channel your AC success :)

It's only cd19 and if I ovulated (which I mightn't have), it was prob only around cd14 so I'll have to wait. To be honest if rather wait than be keep disappointing myself with tests. I'm trying to channel your AC success :)

I shall be keeping an eager eye on this thread ;)

So still no period. I'm only on day 22 so I wouldn't expect it for at least another 4 days but honestly the pains were like those I get every month before my period. I refuse to let myself get excited as my body has played every trick in the world on me in the last few years.

(Still hoping like hell though :))

• Advertisement

So still no period. I'm only on day 22 so I wouldn't expect it for at least another 4 days but honestly the pains were like those I get every month before my period. I refuse to let myself get excited as my body has played every trick in the world on me in the last few years.

(Still hoping like hell though :))

Oh I've everything crossed for you x

Oh I've everything crossed for you x

Well all out crossing didn't do much. Period arrived today. I was actually in agony yesterday so I knew it was coming. Booked in for hycosy next wed so am hoping they'll put me on clomid pretty quickly. OH's sperm analysis showed lower morphology figures than the norm but I've read that that's not the most essential metric for conception. (Hope it's not anyway)

Well all out crossing didn't do much. Period arrived today. I was actually in agony yesterday so I knew it was coming. Booked in for hycosy next wed so am hoping they'll put me on clomid pretty quickly. OH's sperm analysis showed lower morphology figures than the norm but I've read that that's not the most essential metric for conception. (Hope it's not anyway)

Ah sugar, I thought I was about to read good news.
    Maybe AC isn't the 'drug' for you & Clomid will give you more success, I hope so anyway.
    Is there any things your OH can do to increase morphology?

Ah sugar, I thought I was about to read good news.
    Maybe AC isn't the 'drug' for you & Clomid will give you more success, I hope so anyway.
    Is there any things your OH can do to increase morphology?

Completely change his diet? He's booked into coombe for a recheck so hopefully next one might show a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

So sorry Yellow Hen :(
    I wish it was better news for you.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Is the hycosy a hsg xray or are they different Yellow? I'm due to get a hsg on my next cycle, but just came off six months of clomid. It didnt work for me this time - I'd high hopes considering it worked for me the last time. So not sure what is beyond that for me until my next review in March.

Neyite wrote: »
    Is the hycosy a hsg xray or are they different Yellow? I'm due to get a hsg on my next cycle, but just came off six months of clomid. It didnt work for me this time - I'd high hopes considering it worked for me the last time. So not sure what is beyond that for me until my next review in March.

Just checked. It's an ultrasound followed by a catheter. I've had a lap and dye about 3 years ago and it was clear so hoping this will be clear too. Clomid didng work for me before either although I conceived about 2-3 after coming off it. Consultant in the coombe suggested that the conscription was as a result of the clomid and it's after effects. Not so sure myself but for your sake lets be hopeful.

I think because I have my period at the minute and it's painful and I'm hormonal, I got really upset today. So fed up. The world seems to be pregnant right now!

Advertisement