Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Christmas 2014 Special, 'Last Christmas'

• 16-12-2014 12:46am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So with opinion divided about the relative merits of Series 8, it ended with the appearance of "Santa Claus" and the internet goes ballistic :D Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later, I'm just completely unsure what to make of this. It could be daft and brilliant, it could be cringy - par for the course really with Xmas specials.

Android? Amnesiac? Another Time Lord? Either way, I really hope it's not the actual Santa. Humbug I say :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Im bit worried they may ruin Santa for the younger kids, need to be careful.......

Still though, just over 24hours until more WHO!!!!!!!

yay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Im bit worried they may ruin Santa for the younger kids, need to be careful.......

Still though, just over 24hours until more WHO!!!!!!!

He's done some stupid things in the past, but I don't see him doing something that ridiculous. Something like that could end his tenure.

Nonetheless, MERRY DOCTOR WHO DAY, EVERYONE!! :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Oh cool, guy from Misfits.

And Tyrone's abusive ex from Coronation Street.

Meanwhile, Clara is being...ugh... in this episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bloody Danny Pink Wonderboy.

Merry Inceptionmas, everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Inception was less confusing than this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Damn it, I'd gotten my hopes up that she was being written out.

Is it still Deus ex Machina if it happens 75 times in one episode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Angron wrote: »
    Damn it, I'd gotten my hopes up that she was being written out.

That was meant to be the ending but she then decided to stay on

that was awesome. i loved it. it was so funny and then so touching. oh it's all a bit dreamy weamy
    lol

and santa was real in the end, maybe :)

i see now that they would have had to re write it yea. that would have been such a sad ending, it really got me

http://www.inquisitr.com/1645446/doctor-whos-clara-oswald-changes-mind-will-stay-for-first-half-of-season-9/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I thought it was good. The only other Xmas episode I enjoyed was Invasion, and that's going back a while now........

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Any minute now im going to wake up and realise it was all a dream and the Christmas Special hasnt been on yet, didnt rip of a load of films and was fairly meh....please let it be a dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

i thought it was really good too. I loved the whole idea of the Dream Crabs and the whole "are you still dreaming even when you're apparently awake?"

Also, loved seeing Dan Starkey playing someone else instead of Strax for a change.

On the whole, really good episode.

I didn't think it was bad, just kinda convoluted. I will hold that ending against it though.

Oh god.

I have an ice cream headache...

Does anyone else hear birds chirping?

I liked the whole kids thing of "if you can't see it can't see you"! :)

and "you have a horror movie called alien? that's ... that's awful! no wonder everyone keeps invading you!"

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I liked some of the dialogue and the interactions with Santa but thought the overall story was a bit weak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Back of a beermat job with a contract renewal for the sidekick thrown in. Aliens that are recycled Silence. A Santa that is going to reappear as the next Master. I'm just wondering if Nick Frost has signed for the gig.
    Face it, anyone of you enjoy any part of that not including Santa v. the Doctor ?
    Thought not....they may have to have a showdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Actually thought it was excellent. Spat a drink out at the alien bit!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hang on...
    I think the Doctor was on the planet where Clara tried to force him to save Danny. I think Danny dying was part of the dream. Thus, kids, thus Orson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thought it was a let down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I was surprised at how it turned out and found it more confusing than normal in some places, but on balance I rather enjoyed it (especially compared to the poor ending of this season). But the best bit, agreeing with Dr. Doom, was the Alien line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I enjoyed it and my 9 year old watched parts of it from behind his fingers which is always a good sign.

Capaldi is terrifying sometimes, then funny, then kind - he really is s phenomenal actor and for me is carrying the show. If they manage to get some good writing then it will be incredible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Very good episode, probably one of the best Christmas specials, shame they had to re-write the ending as it really was a dream too far at that stage and it was also a nice exit for Clara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Loved it and am delighted to see Clara staying a little longer. Daughter (she is 8) loved it also.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thought it was one of the best of the Christmas episodes. They even tied in Santa nicely. Loved the alien reference, like many of you.

Why the Clara dislike though with some? I thought they fleshed her out very strongly this episode. Another season with her would, I believe, make her the longest running companion since its come back (although way off Jamie's run!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

ixoy wrote: »
    Another season with her would, I believe, make her the longest running companion since its come back (although way off Jamie's run!).

Yeah that makes sense.

Season 1 and 2 -Rose
    Season 3- Martha
    Season 4-Donna
    Season 5- Amy
    Season 6- Amy and Rory
    Season 7- Amy and Rory (for the first half) Clara for the second half.
    Season 8-Clara
    Season 9-Clara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

ixoy wrote: »
    Thought it was one of the best of the Christmas episodes. They even tied in Santa nicely. Loved the alien reference, like many of you.

Why the Clara dislike though with some? I thought they fleshed her out very strongly this episode. Another season with her would, I believe, make her the longest running companion since its come back (although way off Jamie's run!).

I actually quite liked Clara at the start, but I feel a lot of it has become a bit too much of the Clara Show lately, it started to do the same with Amy and Rory too.

All in all, it wasn't a bad episode and certainly had a few moments that were great, but it was an obvious Inception parody.
    I also noticed that Doctor woke up in a place that looked exactly like where Clara attempted to throw away the keys, though that was also a dream.

Advertisement