Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 16-12-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all...
    So I recently received a hoover from the states...
    My problem is it says on the side 120 volt 12 amp 60hertz...will it work here with an adapter or will I blow the thing

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Moved from Open Source software

Colin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

You can use an adapter to step the voltage down to 120V easily. There isn't much you can realistically do about the frequency, without just being better off buying a new hoover. Using a 60Hz device on 50Hz can cause overheating and fires, you can try it, just be careful.
    I would say it will more than likely operate just fine with a step down transformer.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

OP, I think by adapter, you mean just something to change the shape of the plug, right? If so, then DON'T DO IT. The motor will melt and could cause a fire.

You could theoretically plug it in via a step-down transformer, as mentioned by Nino Brown, but you'd need to get one big enough to handle a hoover, watt-wise.

In all honestly, you're better off just getting a new hoover locally.

Advertisement