Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry retires - and signs up with Sky as pundit

• 16-12-2014 8:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I suppose the retirement was expected since he left New York. Great player, probably the best player to have played in the PL if you give equal weight to longevity and ability/impact.

Smart move my Sky too. I've been impressed with his insight into the game whenever he's been on Sky/BBC in the past, very interesting to listen too. Sky are way ahead of the game now with himself, Neville and Carragher.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Blatter wrote: »
    I suppose the retirement was expected since he left New York. Great player, probably the best player to have played in the PL if you give equal weight to longevity and ability/impact.

Smart move my Sky too. I've been impressed with his insight into the game whenever he's been on Sky/BBC in the past, very interesting to listen too. Sky are way ahead of the game now with himself, Neville and Carragher.

They like the way he handles himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭secman

You have to hand to him..... very handy guy for sky to have as a pundit. A hands on type of guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Yeah, I'd say he'll grab this opportunity with both hands...or at least one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Terrible pundit. He loves everything.

During the world cup they'd ask him..."What you think of that Thierry?" and he'd be like "wow...I just love this, just incredible". Would make you sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Gits_bone wrote: »

During the world cup they'd ask him..."What you think of that Thierry?" and he'd be like "wow...I just love this, just incredible". Would make you sick.
    so, perfect for sky sports so !

• Advertisement

so, perfect for sky sports so !

As long as he's just put on champions league games or saturday night football I should be able avoid..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Used to like this guy but for some reason I've taken a sharp dislike to him over the past 5 years.

To be honest I never really like pundits who's first language isn't English so can't see myself liking him to much. Also the fact he's a cheating bastard won't increase my fondness for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

As long as he's just put on champions league games or saturday night football I should be able avoid..

exactly... Sky are just unbearable. i usually watch the football and switch over at half time to avoid the other clowns. haven't properly watched any sky punditry in years, any time i have seen a bit it just enforces why i don't. ya just have to see sounnes as an example of how he talks on it compared to the time he was on rte. they would make u cringe and im sure henry will just add to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

€25 million deal apparently - Sky (and Henry) must be doing something right.

greendom wrote: »

yea the British public love the sh*t they spout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

€25 million? That sounds insane for a pundit. I know that footballers get paid crazy money, but that's for playing the game, not for talking about it. Surely that can't be right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

To be honest I never really like pundits who's first language isn't English

You must hate watching Carragher so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Fair play to him. Lovely guy despite what most Irish fans might say.

He's a little too BBC-esque from I've seen, ie. sitting on the fence, not much personality. Hopefully he'll be a success at sky. Tough competition with the Neville-Carragher tag team.

abff wrote: »
    €25 million? That sounds insane for a pundit. I know that footballers get paid crazy money, but that's for playing the game, not for talking about it. Surely that can't be right?

perhaps it is wrong. That was the figure Newstalk quoted this morning

Used to like this guy but for some reason I've taken a sharp dislike to him over the past 5 years.

To be honest I never really like pundits who's first language isn't English so can't see myself liking him to much. Also the fact he's a cheating bastard won't increase my fondness for him

Their language ability makes you jealous ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

perhaps it is wrong. That was the figure Newstalk quoted this morning

Could that be the total Sky Pundit salary?

That does seem bonkers especially as he's unproven as a pundit and they don't exactly need the guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

GavRedKing wrote: »
    You must hate watching Carragher so :p

"I couldn’t understand him, Bruv, innit and wicked!!!!” :)

Could that be the total Sky Pundit salary?

That does seem bonkers especially as he's unproven as a pundit and they don't exactly need the guy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539095/Sky-BT-fight-sign-Thierry-Henry-TV-pundit-deal-set-worth-Alan-Shearers.html

This article claims he is to get £8000 a show so unless the deal is for over 3000 shows it does seem a little excessive!

that was the figure quoted by Oisin Langan this morning though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2539095/Sky-BT-fight-sign-Thierry-Henry-TV-pundit-deal-set-worth-Alan-Shearers.html

This article claims he is to get £8000 a show so unless the deal is for over 3000 shows it does seem a little excessive!

Jesus that's still not bad for talking a bitta ****e after the game, all of us do that for free!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He definitely won't be doing Champions League next season. That's gone to BT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

This.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The article says he is to get more than 8000. Shearer earns that with Motd.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    The article says he is to get more than 8000. Shearer earns that with Motd.

That will be the ball park though. €10 - 12k perhaps ?

I'd say that 25million figure is way off, its about 480K a week, its more than likely 2.5million.

Also, do we to focus on him joining Sky, or, the fact that probably the best, if not 2nd best CF the EPL has seen has retired?

Handball in Paris 09 apart, he was my favourite non-Chelsea player to ever play in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

I'd say that 25million figure is way off, its about 480K a week, its more than likely 2.5million.
    Yep. There's no way they are paying anyone £25m to be a pundit. £2.5m sounds plausible. If they were paying £25m players would be retiring at 28 to become pundits ;)

What a player! Loved him!
    As a pundit I have to say he is ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

All about the image that lad.

article-0-07487FCD000005DC-78_468x298.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Whats the source on that figure? It sounds ludicrous tbh

Edit: This post can be ignored

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Whats the source on that figure? It sounds ludicrous tbh

Newstalk this morning

No that's not it at all I just think they're always harder to understand, think of Adebayor that time at the World Cup or even seedorf when he's on. They're just not as clear as native English speakers.

But I'd get past that. The fact he's a cheating bastard however I won't get past.

No that's not it at all I just think they're always harder to understand, think of Adebayor that time at the World Cup or even seedorf when he's on. They're just not as clear as native English speakers.

But I'd get past that. The fact he's a cheating bastard however I won't get past.

Because he happened to cheat against Ireland no doubt ?

I'm sure he'll find it very difficult to live with himself

Ruud is pretty clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Jesus christ get over it, sad at this stage.

Also you can hardly compare Adebayor's English with Henry. Adebayor talks at about a million words per second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Also, do we to focus on him joining Sky, or, the fact that probably the best, if not 2nd best CF the EPL has seen has retired?

Handball in Paris 09 apart, he was my favourite non-Chelsea player to ever play in the league.
    The very best. Players like Suarez and Aguero might have had individual seasons which match up to him, but nobody else managed to do it for years on the trot. He scored 30+ 5 years in a row, which I can't think of anybody else doing. Shearer scored his goals over more years, while never reaching Henry's heights. Add to that his general play, that sheer pace, just a fantastic player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The very best. Players like Suarez and Aguero might have had individual seasons which match up to him, but nobody else managed to do it for years on the trot. He scored 30+ 5 years in a row, which I can't think of anybody else doing. Shearer scored his goals over more years, while never reaching Henry's heights. Add to that his general play, that sheer pace, just a fantastic player.

I don't think Shearer ever played in a team as good as the ones Henry played in, I think that has to count for something.

I don't think Shearer ever played in a team as good as the ones Henry played in, I think that has to count for something.

It counts for something, but it doesn't in any way lessen what Henry did in that league. He was phenomenal and carried Arsenal on his back at for a long time.

It should, but do you actually think Shearer was as good as Henry? I don't.

Jesus christ get over it, sad at this stage.

Also you can hardly compare Adebayor's English with Henry. Adebayor talks at about a million words per second.

I can dislike him if I want for whatever reason I want. And the fact he cheated our country out of a chance to go to a World Cup is a perfectly justifiable reason to dislike him in my opinion.

There's lots of footballers out there I like but he isn't one of them and never will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

fozz10 wrote: »
    exactly... Sky are just unbearable. i usually watch the football and switch over at half time to avoid the other clowns. haven't properly watched any sky punditry in years, any time i have seen a bit it just enforces why i don't. ya just have to see sounnes as an example of how he talks on it compared to the time he was on rte. they would make u cringe and im sure henry will just add to it

You've been missing out then since I'm guessing you haven't been watching since Carragher and Neville started doing punditry - both are very, very good. Sadlier on RTE is excellent, and despite being an oddball Kenny Cunningham tends to have a good insight, but the rest of them are absolutely awful.

• Advertisement

It's an odd one alright. Fair enough if they've got limited English or a really tricky accent to understand, but the likes of Solskjaer, Gullit and Henry couldn't be any more fluent or easy to understand whatsoever.

Billy86 wrote: »
    You've been missing out then since I'm guessing you haven't been watching since Carragher and Neville started doing punditry - both are very, very good. Sadlier on RTE is excellent, and despite being an oddball Kenny Cunningham tends to have a good insight, but the rest of them are absolutely awful.

I find Cunningham very negative. Rates himself incredibly highly too. He finds it very easy to dismiss what a lot of managers are doing. Wonder why he isn't out there winning leagues, cups, etc season after season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I can dislike him if I want for whatever reason I want. And the fact he cheated our country out of a chance to go to a World Cup is a perfectly justifiable reason to dislike him in my opinion.

There's lots of footballers out there I like but he isn't one of them and never will be.

Fair enough, whatever floats your boat.

[edit] you know what, I don't really care

It counts for something, but it doesn't in any way lessen what Henry did in that league. He was phenomenal and carried Arsenal on his back at for a long time.

The Arsenal back then isn't the Arsenal now.

Viera/Bergkamp/Pires/Ljungburg/WIltord/Cole/Lauren/Lehmann.

Hardly needed to carry those.

Billy86 wrote: »

Im glad you think so. there opinion matters little to me so Im not missing anything. cant make years of disliking someone go away because they pretend to be nice guys on sky sports. I watch football to watch football,not listen to them say a red is a yellow, usually because he's english or some rubbish like that, why on earth would i care what any pundit thinks about a match? I watch it for the football not to hear someone elses opinion.

Honestly what are you on about saying shearer never hit the heights Henry hit? Shearer hit 30 goals or more in a season 3 separate times. Henry did it once. I know shearer played in the league for more years but Henry played there right through his prime years and it was while shearer was in his prime in the mid 90s that he was hitting those 30 goal seasons.

Two great players and Henry probably had more natural talent but shearer was the better goal scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Tune into a game 5 mins before kick off, turn sound down at HT and turn over at FT and miss all that nonsense from "expert" pundits

He was their best player but 'carried on his back' is a bit much - From around 2001-04 Sol Campbell was probably the best CB in the world not named Nesta, Vieira was amongst the very, very best box-to-box midfielders out there, Dennis Bergkamp was getting up in years but still a complete genius, Pires was possibly the best wide midfielder in the world aside from Nedved (3 straight teams of the season, 01/02 FWA POTY) while Ljungerg on the right was also top class for a while (PFA POTY 01/02).

The Arsenal back then isn't the Arsenal now.

Viera/Bergkamp/Pires/Ljungburg/WIltord/Cole/Lauren/Lehmann.

Hardly needed to carry those.

Does it realy need explaining that he did not play with them for his entire Arsenal career?

Luminaries such as Cygan, Alliadiere, Senderos, Reyes, a consistently injured Van Persie, Pennant, Hoyte did their bit of course, but it was very much left to Henry to drag them with him.

Honestly what are you on about saying shearer never hit the heights Henry hit? Shearer hit 30 goals or more in a season 3 separate times. Henry did it once. I know shearer played in the league for more years but Henry played there right through his prime years and it was while shearer was in his prime in the mid 90s that he was hitting those 30 goal seasons.

Two great players and Henry probably had more natural talent but shearer was the better goal scorer.
    You've elected not to mention in two of those seasons there were more games in the league (42 I think). And Henry did it 5 times, not once. Henry has the better goals per game record in England, by quite a distance (0.68 to 0.5). Better goalscorer my arse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement