Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry retires - and signs up with Sky as pundit

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Alan Shearer is the best striker who has played in the Premier League - a doubly impressive feat considering that he had two career-threatening injuries. I wonder how old some of those who rate Henry higher are. The Shearer of 31-34 whilst still a prolific goalscorer, was nothing to the Shearer of eight or nine years earlier.

Henry was a fantastic player - one of the very best to play in England - and was absolutely perfect for that Arsenal team at that time. But Shearer was something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Over-analysis? That is the first time I have heard anybody be critical of over analysis. Football is incredibly under-analysed compared to other sports

Absolutely, over-analysis. I'm speaking particularly about MNF now, as I watch mainly the matches on the other days but I'll often tune in on a Monday hoping to see the highlights from the weekend's games. The only example I can think of at the minute is from the Everton v QPR game this week and Carragher was going on about Mirallas' free-kick that got deflected into the goal, it was cringe it was that bad. I've had that feeling every week I've watched MNF. Then again, I just want to see the highlights from the game, as being the cocky fcuker I am, I have little interest in listening to Jamie Carragher, the utter gob****e in the middle, or Gary Neville's opinions.

Not sure though that football is under-analysed compared to other sports. I watch a good bit of other sports and football gets a huge amount of coverage. Also, just because a show spends hours talking about a game(s) doesn't mean it's being analysed in any great/interesting dept. So maybe you mean the standard out there is poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Alan Shearer is the best striker who has played in the Premier League - a doubly impressive feat considering that he had two career-threatening injuries. I wonder how old some of those who rate Henry higher are. The Shearer of 31-34 whilst still a prolific goalscorer, was nothing to the Shearer of eight or nine years earlier.

Henry was a fantastic player - one of the very best to play in England - and was absolutely perfect for that Arsenal team at that time. But Shearer was something else.
    Henry played in a stronger league, contributed more outside of goals than Shearer (who did himself also add a good deal, don't get me wrong), and was more prolific at his peak than Shearer at his. Henry scored .69 league goals per game at Arsenal while Shearer scored 0.50 for his career, .64 per game if you ignore his time at Southampton (developing young player) ad his final two seasons (winding down), and 0.71 per game during his best 8 year stretch (as Henry was at Arsenal for 8 years).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's probably because using one single one-on-one all season to judge whether or not a keeper has made progress on them in general is a little silly in itself, to be fair. With the amount of time and space Vary had leading into that chance I doubt there's a keeper in the world who makes the save more than one-in-three times absolute max, it's not often a striker goes for the near post in that situation.

But he only used on example himself in saying DDG is better at 1v1s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Billy86 wrote: »
    That's probably because using one single one-on-one all season to judge whether or not a keeper has made progress on them in general is a little silly in itself, to be fair. With the amount of time and space Vary had leading into that chance I doubt there's a keeper in the world who makes the save more than one-in-three times absolute max, it's not often a striker goes for the near post in that situation.

Also Neville also said, even if you make 5 or 6 good saves at Man Utd, and miss one then it's a bad game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

souness is the best pundit imo on sky, even on rte , id say on rte he was even better, neville is very good, i haven't heard henry as pundit but sky will hope he fits epecially as he is 4m/yr

Souness isn't great. He comes out with some gems.

He said at the start of the season he expected Liverpool to make the semi finals of the CL.

He said Modric is a weak link for Madrid as he doesn't score enough goals or win enough tackles. He called him a 5 a side player.

He said this season that Angel Di Maria has dissapointing end product.

Gits_bone wrote: »
    But he only used on example himself in saying DDG is better at 1v1s.
    Well fair enough - I didn't see it so can't argue, but there are a few other situations of him making stops he could have shown with how our defense has left him stranded so often in the last 18 months or so. Basically he was correct in that it's an area De Gea has improved on considerably over the last season or two.

Blatter wrote: »
    Souness isn't great. He comes out with some gems.

He said at the start of the season he expected Liverpool to make the semi finals of the CL.

He said Modric is a weak link for Madrid as doesn't score enough goals or win enough tackles. He called him a 5 a side player.

He said this season that Angel Di Maria has dissapointing end product.

What annoys me with Souness is that he is very biased but pretends not to be. Carragher and Neville are biased at times but at least try and keep objective by not making ignorant/clearly incorrect statements like the Di Maria one (if I recall Di Maria scored in that game, and Souness was visibly seething at half time), and in games like Liverpool/Man Utd they don't hide their bias. Same for Phil Thompson, so long as they continue to rarely ever let him near actual games as opposed to Soccer Saturday I don't mind him at all because he is so openly, unashamedly biased.

Some of the ex Arsenal pundits are quite similar to Souness in this regard also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

They counter Phil Thompson's bias by having everyone else on the panel constantly slag him off when Liverpool are losing.

Henry will probably mostly be used on SS5 for all the other European leagues. Do Sky show Ligue 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Used to like this guy but for some reason I've taken a sharp dislike to him over the past 5 years.

The handball was 5 years ago, that's why isn't it?

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone who is Irish should be blamed for holding a grudge against Henry. It may be 28 years ago but I'm ****ed if I'm ever forgiving Maradona.

Fair play to ya, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I don't think anyone who is Irish should be blamed for holding a grudge against Henry. It may be 28 years ago but I'm ****ed if I'm ever forgiving Maradona.

Fair play to ya, lads.

i'm nearly certain there was a show on irish tv that had the hand of god as one of the countries top 10 sporting moments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Ah jesus, you must think Johan Cruyff is classless as well, that penalty was funny, I wouldn't say he's classless for trying it.

Its not just the penalty, it is an accumulation of things, one o which was that penalty

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Is this a bad time to say that Thierry is also on my "No Strings List" and has been for quite some time! :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yes because one handball is the same as sustained doping over several years :rolleyes:

Oh sorry if you misread what I said I'll post it here again,
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    No respect for people who are happy to cheat to win. The guy has the same attitude as the likes of Lance Armstrong. Amazing talent sure but no integrity.

The guy was talented enough to win a lot without cheating but was happy to cheat if that's what was required to win. It's not about how often you cheat, hell you don't even have to ever do it. It's more the attitude that I dislike. He even said afterwards that it was the ref's problem not his. I have no respect for anyone who thinks like that. What glory is there in knowing you cheated to win?

As I said though I am curious to see a pundit who is okay with cheating on a channel filled with pundits who see diving as the devil itself.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Oh sorry if you misread what I said I'll post it here again,

The guy was talented enough to win a lot without cheating but was happy to cheat if that's what was required to win. It's not about how often you cheat, hell you don't even have to ever do it. It's more the attitude that I dislike. He even said afterwards that it was the ref's problem not his. I have no respect for anyone who thinks like that. What glory is there in knowing you cheated to win?

As I said though I am curious to see a pundit who is okay with cheating on a channel filled with pundits who see diving as the devil itself.

Even the sheer thought of putting Thierry Henry into the same category as Lance Armstrong is simply laughable, regardless of whether your talking about attitude towards cheating or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i'm nearly certain there was a show on irish tv that had the hand of god as one of the countries top 10 sporting moments

i remember the cheer delight in my local when maradona scored against england with that handball

*karma* what goes around comes around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,661 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's more the attitude that I dislike. He even said afterwards that it was the ref's problem not his. I have no respect for anyone who thinks like that. What glory is there in knowing you cheated to win?

You said Henry has the same attitude as Armstrong...are you are saying that Henry went into most matches with the intention of cheating just like Armstrong went into most of his races with the same intention? Sorry but that's utter bollocks, there's no comparison between the two or their "attitude."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

You said Henry has the same attitude as Armstrong...are you are saying that Henry went into most matches with the intention of cheating just like Armstrong went into most of his races with the same intention? Sorry but that's utter bollocks, there's no comparison between the two or their "attitude."

Fair enough there is a difference. One went to cheating as the norm and the other went to it as a last resort. They were both ultimately fine with cheating to win. Maybe that's clearer than using the term attitude. I don't see it as much more admirable to try and win fairly first if you are happy to resort to cheating if you can't. And it's not the type of personality that I feel is worth celebrating regardless of their achievements without cheating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭zombieHanalei

The game is absolutely riddled with "cheating", and I don't know what it is about soccer fans but they are willing to turn a blind eye to anything done by the players of the teams they support while at the same time they'll scream blue murder if those exact same offences are committed against the team they support.

We derided the English for never letting go of the Maradona thing, time to move on already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

If people are gonna bring Armstrong into this you might aswell just name everyone in cylcing in that era.. everyone doped he was just the best at it.

OT:
    This is a terrible acquisition for sky, sorry but he is not a good commentator people like to rip Owen but Henry is just as boring. The only thing he'll offer is insight into what goes on in strikers heads.

I'd much rather see someone like Hamann or Friedel when he retires on the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Fair enough there is a difference. One went to cheating as the norm and the other went to it as a last resort. They were both ultimately fine with cheating to win. Maybe that's clearer than using the term attitude. I don't see it as much more admirable to try and win fairly first if you are happy to resort to cheating if you can't. And it's not the type of personality that I feel is worth celebrating regardless of their achievements without cheating.

You talk some nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Fair play to ya, lads.

I would have thought Owen's dive 12 years later against the same opposition would have balanced that out ?

Nah, that made up for Simeone's playacting an hour later.

• I actually enjoyed henry as a pundit, cant remember but he was a guest a couple of times already. Looking forward to seeing what he has to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed henry as a pundit, cant remember but he was a guest a couple of times already. Looking forward to seeing what he has to say

I think you might struggle with that.

I'm looking forward to Henry's punditry as well. It'll be nice to have someone on who can speak the English language quite well for a change! :D :pac:

In truth, that's more of a dig at ITV when they had Rio Ferdinand, Phil Neville, and himself as pundits during the World Cup. :D

• I think you might struggle with that.

Why?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Why?

I'm guessing he was hinting that it can be hard to see words without the aid of hallucinogenics. ;)

Advertisement