Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Spire, Lights

• 16-12-2014 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

I've noticed for the past month or so, but it could actually be longer, that the lights aren't working on top of the Spire.

Anyone know why? Think of all the money the darn thing cost and now the bulbs are gone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hate to be the lad going up there with the ladder to change the bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Ha! I know! I thought the exact same thing. I'd be cackin' me pants if it'wer me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It's actually one of the lads in my job that goes up the spire to do it, they love the climb apparently..

Irishcrx wrote: »
    It's actually one of the lads in my job that goes up the spire to do it, they love the climb apparently..

Can you ask him why he hasn't changed the bulbs this time, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Can you ask him why he hasn't changed the bulbs this time, please?

Contract exspired.

• Advertisement

The Peanut wrote: »
    Contract exspired.

His contract or the bulb's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

How many electricians does it take to change a light bulb in the Spire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I saw the lad change it once and he hadn't even got a ladder, just a load of kitchen chairs stacked on top of one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How many electricians does it take to change a light bulb in the Spire?

One to change the bulb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

A magnet suit would be quicker than a ladder, surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

The maintenance contract went out to tender yesterday.
    Response deadline is 2nd February, so I wouldn't expect any lights for many months to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

IS it the aviation beacon you're reffering to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

The spire should be taken down. As a major monument its completely uninspiring. Its a daft looking yoke and to me looks like a needle representing the junkies in the area who frequently use it as a meeting point to meet their dealers. In the end its just a big pole. Surely we can do better than this........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Fibre optics should have been the way to go. Have fibre optics going through it to the top, but the bulb would only have to be changed at the base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The spire should be taken down. As a major monument its completely uninspiring. Its a daft looking yoke and to me looks like a needle representing the junkies in the area who frequently use it as a meeting point to meet their dealers. In the end its just a big pole. Surely we can do better than this........

I see what you did there.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Fibre optics should have been the way to go. Have fibre optics going through it to the top, but the bulb would only have to be changed at the base.

Carefull there Badly Drunk Boy, you'll get a yellow card for making sence.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,724 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Carefull there Badly Drunk Boy, you'll get a yellow card for making sence.:p

No chance of that for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Unless it's the worst designed structure in the world I'd imagined that the light at the top could be winched up or down from the bottom to change the bulb. Why would you design the structure any other way?

conorhal wrote: »
    Unless it's the worst designed structure in the world I'd imagined that the light at the top could be winched up or down from the bottom to change the bulb. Why would you design the structure any other way?

Agreed! I actually think it is changed from the base.

Every morning without fail I see a bunch of Corporation workers set up a little tent there to do.. God knows what....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭wilhelm roentgen

conorhal wrote: »

It was built by Radley Engineering in their workshop in Dungarvan, their Managing director said when interviewed by a local paper that in Engineering terms it was the equivalent of building a nuclear submarine…………...….what a twát

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

It was built by Radley Engineering in their workshop in Dungarvan, their Managing director said when interviewed by a local paper that in Engineering terms it was the equivalent of building a nuclear submarine…………...….what a twát

It's just like a nuclear submarine. Except without the nuclear reactor, the engine, the ability to manoeuvre underwater etc. etc.

Advertisement