Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What was the must have when you were a teen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Levi Jeans
    Pogs
    Trolls
    Cycling shorts (neon was better)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

A fake ID and a Grove membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Early 90s. Checked shirts, converse all stars, guitar.

Mid to Late 90s. Yokes and a quarter of something to calm down after.

Football shirts indeed, a waste of a youth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

twas only a few years ago, it was a blackberry!
    now, it seems babies are the "in" item... which is quite sad tbh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Air Max, X Works & Eclipse jeans.

I wasn't allowed to wear these, nor could we have afforded them anyway!!

I remember my big sister learning to sow so she could sow little red X's on the black Dunnes jeans my mother used to by for her.

'Rip-offs' were one of the things when we were kids. Those tracksuit bottoms with buttons all up the sides. What the **** were we thinking? May as well have just headed out in your underwear from the get go. The clue is right there in the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A barcode battler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Candie wrote: »
    It was an exhausting few years with all the pillow fights and communal showers. :)

Oh wait, no. It wasn't!

Plenty of energy at that age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

The latest Championship Manager, operating on Windows '98.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

Must have - a good roide - as I was always dying with the Horn ...
    Only managed a hand shandy though - several times a day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

Camera Phone

PS2

Grand Theft Auto 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

A mullet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭DeJa VooDoo

A mullet!

The haircut, not the fish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ciaranlong

The most expensive trainers you could get. Nothing else you wore seemed to matter bar what was on your feet, and how much they cost. I was often quite anxious over this, as my mother insisted on buying all my footwear in Dunnes Stores - which certainly was not cool. It stood to me later though - as I see through all the obsessing over brands now. I'll buy a brand if it means getting quality at a fair price, but quality is my main concern. I'll also never wear anything where the brand is heavily prominent. Ideally it wouldn't be visible at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was 13 in 1996 and for some unknown reason two things became stupidly fashionable, Aran jumpers and tearaway tracksuit bottoms.

Thankfully I wanted neither, but there were many a stupidly dressed teenager in those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I was a teenager in the 90s. In the earlier part of the 90s the must-have was a puffa jacket. In the later 90s it was a Kookai bag, Kickers shoes, Nike air trainers and a Caterpillar pencil case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Boot Runners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Mortal Kombat 3. I wanted it so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭SPM1959

anncoates wrote: »
    Adidas Gazelles or Samba. Wrangler or Lois jeans or cords. , Ellesse, Fred Perry and Lacoste polo shirts. Fila, Tachini or Adidas Beckenbauer tracksuit tops and other stuff you had to save for years to buy.

Also Harrington jackets, loafers, Sta Prest trousers and the like.

80's casual teenage years. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

hehe. My neighbour had one. We were sort of jealous. The bike itself was a bit ****

I was a teenager in the 90s. In the earlier part of the 90s the must-have was a puffa jacket. In the later 90s it was a Kookai bag, Kickers shoes, Nike air trainers and a Caterpillar pencil case.

the sleeveless puffer jackets!!

anyone remember the must-have fake dummy on a necklace?
    http://www.imisstheoldschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/pacifiers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

box of Amber Leaf and a four pack of Druids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

An army jacket, everyone had the green one so I searched high and low for the blue one which wasn't as common.

Stonewashed jeans with drainpipe legs and a denim jacket.

Hair a bit long at the back, seemed cool at the time.

An older looking friend to sneak past the bouncers with so I could sup on a pint of smithwicks which in turn gave me the courage to head out on the dancefloor for the shift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Tobacco of any kind (I was so tall I could buy smokes and tobacco whenever I wanted more or less :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

2000 - 2005

A Job - Almost all of my friends had some form of job at 15/16, which in turn gave you money for cans, hash and CD's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Boxer shorts instead of those god damn scunderpants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

An army jacket, Levi jeans, black biker jacket, black docs (we all wanted the docs with steel toe caps) 20 benson or 20 super king cos they lasted longer. A stero with two tape decks so we could make mix tapes and lots of vodka.

A long sleeve shirt under a short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve shirt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

- A square micro helmet.
    - suede desert bonus.
    - puffy bomber jacket.
    - atari 2600.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bodhi085

A shell suit

• Advertisement

- A square micro helmet.
    - suede desert bonus.
    - puffy bomber jacket.
    - atari 2600.

Old Skool. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Levis 501's, nike air max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

DT 125 the older lads (17-18) had them. I was warned not to get one or find somewhere else to sleep if I did.
    I had a half share in a Honda 50 that they never knew about though, what a rebel I was ;0

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_dt125%2077.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Flared Nope jeans from Hairy Legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

The time-line was as follows:

- Shell-suits, L.A. Gear or Reebok, bicycle-shorts with neon patterns, something with acid-house smileys on it (as if we were going to raves when we were 12/13), really long baggy hoodies
    - Baggy jeans
    - Docs shoes, not so much boots
    - Waistcoats, velvet hats, denim hot-pants
    - Coloured jeans, rose-printed stuff, polo-necks (the kinda stuff the girls on Beverly Hills 90210 and The Fresh Prince were wearing
    - Converse
    - "Bohemian" kinda stuff/throwbacks to late 60s-70s: tie-dye, love-beads, long crinkly "gypsy" skirts, "ethnic" prints, flares
    - Also clothing that was a throwback to Studio 54: platforms, those dog-collar choker things (raar!), skinny-ribbed tops
    - Clothes like on Clueles: short A-line skirts - often tartan, clogs (****ing severely dangerous footwear), kneehigh socks, cropped jumpers over crisp white shirts with large cuffs/collars, mohair jumpers
    - Hipsters (these were trousers that only pulled up as far as the hips) and geometric prints inspired by Pulp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭A_smurf

If I remember rightly it was blackberry/ qwerty keyboard phones, iPods, juicy couture bags/tracksuits (what were we thinking?), patterned hoodies, converse, a bebo/msn account, laptop (smartphones didn't really exist back then) and ugg boots. Bear in mind the start of my teenage years was about 10 years ago, so I could be missing a lot of obvious things. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

mariaalice wrote: »
    The uniform thread got me thinking of this.

When I was a teenager the must have was a pair of Levi's.

Sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

C. 1979
    Honda CB 125.
    Black drainpipe cords

Cowboy boots that came up to your knees with big heels.

CB radio - Sharp 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

The bodysuit. Also simply known as "body".

It was like a leotard but with fasteners at the groin. The idea I suppose was for it to stay really close-fitting and streamlined. But the fasteners would come undone as the night went on in the teen disco and there would be various girls with a piece of material hanging off the back of their top, two cans of cider consumed or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

bluewolf wrote: »
    the sleeveless puffer jackets!!

anyone remember the must-have fake dummy on a necklace?
    http://www.imisstheoldschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/pacifiers.jpg

Thought that was an American thing, suppose it could have made its way over. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ciaranlong

Oh I just remembered this one: those black jackets with NAFFCO 54 written on them in multi-coloured letters. They were truly awful and generally worn by the more dodgy sort (excuse the judgment). I think NAFFCO may have put their name on some other stuff as well? Have I remembered their name correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Air Max, X Works & Eclipse jeans.

I wasn't allowed to wear these, nor could we have afforded them anyway!!

X works were the first thing that came to my mind too. Those and a "step haircut" oh the joys of being an 80s child.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

And Rossetti bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Doc Martin's and either a boys flannel or an army jacket to go over your baby doll dress :o

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

army surplus store genuine german parka jacket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I went to boarding school, where we wore our uniform all day, so clothes were never really a big thing. And it was basically before any sort of technology. I don't really remember any 'must have' items of clothing, except for paisley shirts. I bought my first one in Asha in the Stephen's Green centre and didn't take it off for 3 days. When I took it off my whole torso was dark green with the dye running off it (I must have actually been sleeping in it not to notice). Paisley shirts and doc martens and you were DEADLY. I think maybe also a man's suit waistcoat over the paisley shirt. Jayyyysus....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

levis/wranglers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

The bodysuit. Also simply known as "body".

It was like a leotard but with fasteners at the groin. The idea I suppose was for it to stay really close-fitting and streamlined. But the fasteners would come undone as the night went on in the teen disco and there would be various girls with a piece of material hanging off the back of their top, two cans of cider consumed or not.

Oh god, I remember that *cringe*. Wore once to a disco, and never again.

Early 80's stylee - for us 'twas the 80's leather jacket a la James Dean http://www.rustyzipper.com/full/172808.jpg

Runner boots - must be either Reebok or Adidas and WHITE. Also, leg-warmers and a little later, the puffball-skirt. Oh, the horror :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Whatever it was I didn't have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

As many cheap ear piercings as I could get, 'twas a constant battle with my mam.

A green army shirt, often teamed with a corset or slutty top.

A naggin.

Everything to do with Nirvana ever.

THE knee high boots.

Baggy cords or jeans, bought from Eager Beaver or Hairy Legs as applicable.

A discman with a good shock absorber... That never stopped it from skipping. Ever. Every bump on the bus...

Advertisement