Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone with XO & PS4?

Options
  • 16-12-2014 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi all,

Currently trying to decide between the two consoles and just wondering if anyone has both to shed some light on my questions:

Xbox Live Gold - looks to me to be better all round, but Playstation plus offers free games?

Always preferred XBox, but think I'd miss not being able to play The Last of Us, Everyone's going to the rapture and The Order. Is this a good enough reason not to get the XO? Surely MS will have something similar in the long run? I'm glad DayZ is going to be multi-platform.

I much prefer the XBox controllers, should that matter a great deal?

I love Tomb Raider from back in the day - has it been confirmed as a timed exclusive for XO or is it an overall exclusive?

Also, I'd imagine MS has offers better support than Sony and are perhaps easier to get hold of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

MOD WARNING - This is not a place for console bashing , genuine advice for the OP only please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Many prefer the xbox controllers, I do.

You get free games with gold on One but I don't think they are as good as what sony offer though haven't checked them recently.

I have no experience with Sony support for PS but found Xbox very easy to deal with and get on the phone to.

Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive , but I'm not sure what that time is.

For me it comes down to which system has the game you want to play, I would love to get a PS4 for Bloodborne and Last of Us but couldn't justify it at the moment.

Also worth considering what system your pals have if muliplayer is your thing and plan on playing games with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Hmm, I see Xbox as halo halo halo. Sunset Overdrive looks amazing but is a timed exclusive, so will be on pc in 6 months. 3rd party will be on both systems. New Tomb Raider is also a timed exclusive when released on xbone, 6 or 8 months after, then comes to ps4, kinda defeats the purpose of an exclusive. Lots of reports on loads of sites last week confirmed this. I love the Xbox controller, feels great. But I do like the ps controller now too.

Ps4, just seems to have a lot of games being ported from ps3 at the moment (brilliant if you didn't have a ps3 last gen), but it does have a great line up for next year. Ps+ is defo needed if you want to play online on the ps4, but does sweeten the deal with games each month. Personally, I'm not arsed with these games as they do go on sale a lot over the year on psn and the big 3rd party games on ps4 (disc based) do drop in price fast (unlike Nintendo games).

But for The Last of Us Remastered, Bloodborne and The Order 1886 alone next year ps4 wins out.
    I did have a 360 for years, when TLoU came out I just knew I needed a ps3 for that game and rebought all the games I had for the 360 for the ps3, then all the other exclusives like God of War, Ratchet and Clank etc

Also, get a WiiU, better than both ps4 and xbone right now :)

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

When you're comparing Xbox Live Gold and Playsation + you really have to take EA Access into account too. FIFA, Battlefield 4, Need for Speed, Madden NFL 25, UFC, Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare and Peggle 2 all for €25 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭AnimalChin

calex71 wrote: »
    Many prefer the xbox controllers, I do.

You get free games with gold on One but I don't think they are as good as what sony offer though haven't checked them recently.

I have no experience with Sony support for PS but found Xbox very easy to deal with and get on the phone to.

Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive , but I'm not sure what that time is.

For me it comes down to which system has the game you want to play, I would love to get a PS4 for Bloodborne and Last of Us but couldn't justify it at the moment.

Also worth considering what system your pals have if muliplayer is your thing and plan on playing games with them.

Cheers.

I've no gaming mates I'm afraid! So I'm a bit of a clean slate in that regard. :)

Yeah, I couldn't justify owning both of these consoles so I'm looking to pick one.

I guess the games I'm most interested in are:

Alien: Isolation
    Tomb Raider
    COD
    DayZ
    Halo
    The last of Us
    Quantum Break
    The Order.

I guess whichever one I get I won't be disappointed...

• Advertisement

When you're comparing Xbox Live Gold and Playsation + you really have to take EA Access into account too. FIFA, Battlefield 4, Madden NFL 25, UFC, Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare and Peggle 2 all for €25 a year.

Thanks, but what's EA Access? And is that with Xbox live or PS +?

Sorry, former gamer out of the loop for a number of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KevinMunster12

I you like driving games get the xbox, the forza games are excellent. Other then that I would say ps4. They are very similar tbh. Xbox controller is better for driving games imo, the triggers are great for them. If I had to pick one I would probably go for ps4.

I you like driving games get the xbox, the forza games are excellent. Other then that I would say ps4. They are very similar tbh. Xbox controller is better for driving games imo, the triggers are great for them. If I had to pick one I would probably go for ps4.

Thanks for your input.

Not a big a fan of driving games anymore. I like FPS, Tomb Raider type games and Horror. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

AnimalChin wrote: »
    Thanks, but what's EA Access? And is that with Xbox live or PS +?

Sorry, former gamer out of the loop for a number of years!

It's an EA subscription service, only available on Xbox. €24.99 a year for or €2.99 a month for those games as well as being able to get EA games early with exclusive timed demos of full games.

It's an EA subscription service, only available on Xbox. €24.99 a year for or €2.99 a month for those games as well as being able to get EA games early with exclusive timed demos of full games.

Sounds class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Have both a xbox one and a PS4 myself. Got the Ps4 the day it came out and pretty much used it everyday to i got my Xbox one witch has now became my main console.

From the Ps4 and Xbox one controllers i have to say the xbox one controller is basically the perfect controller ever as it dosint hurt your hands after a long time playing it and every thing fells perfect over the PS4 controller. But the Ps4 controller is a huge step up from the shocking controller that was the PS3 one i was once told that the PS3 controller was the better then a 360 controller no just no LoL.

But for 1st party games the xbox wins it there again. I have been disappointed with every 1st party Sony game i have played on the PS4. 2nd Son was meh, Killzone another big meh, Knack again Meh. Havant played drive club but there has been countless bad things said about the game so i prob won't. While on the xbox one i have enjoyed every 1st party game i have played Titan fall one of my fave games of all time to play online as its just so much fun. Dead Rising 3 is also a good game. Sunset overdrive is fun if you like that kind of game in witch i do. Forza Horzan 2 is just fantastic to play and maybe the best open world racing game i have ever played as it just looks fantastic. Then Halo MCC the single player is perfect but the multiplayer is broke and badly broke. Only game i have been disappointed by on the xbox one.

Then for Xbox games for gold and PSN+ games 90% of the games you get on it you never wonted or are never going to be play to be far. On the PS4 we got the DC fighting game i never wonted it but as it being a full game i download it played it for 10 mins and delated as its bad. Then over the year on both Xbox games for gold and PSN+ your going to get a lot of bad indie games you never wonted.

But for software and apps the xbox one wins hands down as the apps all work perfect on it and the software on the xbox one is 100% times better then the interface on the Ps4 witch isn't the best to be far. Another thing i love on the xbox one is the fact it tells you what % you have done so far in getting a achievement witch is extremely handy as you can start working on what ever your goal is.

But having sad that some games do run better on the Ps4 with 1080P and so on while must 1st party xbox games are only 900P witch being honest my TV and monter upscales it to 1080P and i cant really see much of a difference to be far.

I would go for what ever console your friends play more on.

Thanks guys.

Just can't seem to get the XO out of my head. So I think I'll go with that.

First on the list: Alien Isolation, Halo and GTAV. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

AnimalChin wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Just can't seem to get the XO out of my head. So I think I'll go with that.

First on the list: Alien Isolation, Halo and GTAV. :)

post-33885-welcome-to-the-party-pal-gif-B-ues8.gif

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I have both now. ( had wii u too, but it was traded in). Since I got my xbox one I was having good few issues, which were frustrating, but if someone would ask me now, which one I liked more, I couldn't answer. It would be like choosing between my two children.

You don't have friends on one or another platform, so that argument can go throw the window right away. You don't need to assimilate to your friends.
    Check the game lists on both consoles. There are a good few games out for both consoles already. A lot of games for next 2 years are already announced. Exclusives too. Just go with a platform that has the game that you want to play. Don't make your decision on games that you think might come out or "surely x platform will have something similar to what competitor has". I wanted to Play forza games, so I got xbox one. I wanted to play bloodborne, last of us, killzone and second son, so I got ps4. When it comes to Multiplatforms - I just buy which ever is cheaper or have a deal going.
    Controller wise - both do great job, you could go all anal about differences, but in the end of the day both of them feel great. Just keep in mind that xbox one needs a plug and play charge kit, but it holds charge for almost a week, wheres ps4 controller comes with charger out of the box, but it's charge hold is pathetic. Get used to charge it almost daily.
    Noise levels. Maybe important for some and not for others. Ps4 is dead silent in stand by mode, even when it is downloading stuff, but it is noisy when playing games. It does not fully install games on hdd. Xbox one is constantly noisy even in stand by mode due to fan in power brick, it's just a drop of the luck on how noisy is your one will be. I went through 3 power bricks and each had different noise levels. It's very low noise, but it is enough to notice when console in the bedroom. Nothing to worry about if it's in living room in some cabinet etc. When it comes to actual noise when gaming - xbox one makes very little noise. Deffo lower then ps4, because it install games fully on hdd.
    Another advantage of xbox one is the ability to buy game codes online. Getting xbox one live for just 31eu per year is very nice. Ps4 is 50 or feck off.
    Ps4 free games are generally better, but with ps4 you need to have ps+ to access them, with xbox one, you can still play free games when sub runs out. Then again, you can't really argue about taste in games. Some people find ps4 free games better and other way around.

Get now which ever one has more games you want to play NOW and near future. See who gives you a better deal now and trust me, there are great deals going around for both platforms. Argos in particular. Then in a year or two buy the other console and enjoy fruits from both worlds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have a PS4 and I leave it at my parents because I just don't use it. I have a gaming PC which makes things worse. Really the PS4 lacks any real standout exclusives that make it worthwhile at the moment. It also has other problems like excruciating download speeds from PSN at peak times and weekends. I feel the XBox One at the moment has a far better selection of exclusives compared to the PS4. However that could all change next year with the PS4 hopefully getting some interesting looking games.

It's far too early in the generation to really choose a side at this stage I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

With the Xbox one you lose access to the games with gold free games when the gold subscription runs out and you regain access to them when you renew your gold subscription.
    It's different to the way the 360 works where you can keep the games with gold after your gold subscription lapses.
    The PS4 also needs ps plus active subscription in order to access the free games you've downloaded.
    Someone said in an earlier post you can play them when subscription lapses which is wrong.
    I'm not buying either console till next year myself and can't decide either.

I've heard ps4 controller supports any headset and xbox one needs an adaptor for that but xbox one comes with its own headset anyway and that with the xbox one game installs can take hours if you don't disconnect your console from the internet because it tries to download the game off xbox live instead of installing from disc.
    Maybe other people who own them could comment on to whether the latter is still true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Here is an example of the kind of stories that are putting me off going for an xbox one and making me think about PS4.
    http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_one_games/t_-_z/wolfenstein_the_new_order/f/4106/t/1781802.aspx

Nightmare Wolfenstein install.
    I'm not being biased here just going off what other people on the net are saying.
    Also I can only get 6mbit broadband(that's all that's available where I live) so downloading that much data would take me a whole week.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

quinnd6 wrote: »
    Here is an example of the kind of stories that are putting me off going for an xbox one and making me think about PS4.
    http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_one_games/t_-_z/wolfenstein_the_new_order/f/4106/t/1781802.aspx

Nightmare Wolfenstein install.
    I'm not being biased here just going off what other people on the net are saying.
    Also I can only get 6mbit broadband(that's all that's available where I live) so downloading that much data would take me a whole week.

There are always stories like this on both sides. For example ps4 wifi modules are made out off chocolate wrappers. Completely random and a ton of connectivity issues or random speeds.
    Both Consoles will have some sort off oddity and issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Okay, you've got some pretty good advice from everyone there OP, any further discussion on this will, most likely, just be a repeat/rebuttal of everything all ready mentioned, and the usual downward trajectory of Xbox VS PS comments are starting.

Both consoles are totally viable for most functions, particularly gaming.

If you are going for an Xbox One, then I suggest looking at the bargains thread [thread="2057245097"]here[/thread] for where to buy your console. A question on where to buy in there will always result in the best value bundle, some of the guys in there have a bargain hunters nose like no one else I know.

There's also plenty of advice for getting set up in the newbies thread, along with the general discussion thread here.

I don't follow the PS side of things, but there's bound to be similar threads in that forum as well, just in case you change you mind.

Otherwise, welcome to the Xbox Forum! Hope you enjoy your new console!

MOD NOTE: As your initial question has been answered pretty well, I'm going to lock this thread before it continues on and becomes too inflammatory.

CatInABox

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement