Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dogs alone time

Options
  • 16-12-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

can someone delete this thread
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Personally i think that is far too long to leave a dog on their own. Does the rescue or foster place know about your new arrangements? They might not be that happy with the dog being left for so long on her own.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭deadwood85

andreac wrote: »
    Personally i think that is far too long to leave a dog on their own. Does the rescue or foster place know about your new arrangements? They might not be that happy with the dog being left for so long on her own.

the dog isn't alone that long read the post i am asking before i adopt

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

If you look at this in an honest, unbiased way, 10-12 hours is way too long to leave any number of dogs alone for on any sort of regular basis. Are you fostering for a rescue group? If so, are they ok with the dog being alone for such long hours?
    But the big elephant in the room is this: if you keep the Staffie, it forces a considerable step-down for your own terrier in terms of the quality-of-life he currently enjoys.
    Personally, that would be an absolute deal-breaker for me.
    If the Staffie goes to another home with owners who aren't away for so long, then the Staffie wins, your own dog wins, and perhaps the next dog you foster would fit better into your current lifestyle in terms of getting on with everyone and mind-ability, so he'd win too.
    I do appreciate there's a bond there now between you and the Staffie, but looking at the cold facts, I don't think you're doing either dog any favours by keeping him. This is not a criticism of you at all, it's just the way it is :)

deadwood85 wrote: »
    the dog isn't alone that long read the post i am asking before i adopt

Huh? You asked was 10/12 hours alone too long and i think yes? So what do you mean now that the dog is not alone for that long, im confused?

Regardless of whether the dog has company of another dog, that is still too long to leave "both" dogs alone, in my opinion, which is what you have asked for?

andreac wrote: »
    Huh? You asked was 10/12 hours alone too long and i think yes? So what do you mean now that the dog is not alone for that long, im confused?

Regardless of whether the dog has company of another dog, that is still too long to leave "both" dogs alone, in my opinion, which is what you have asked for?

the dogs are not alone now it will be the end of jan/feb when i return to work.

• Advertisement

deadwood85 wrote: »
    the dogs are not alone now it will be the end of jan/feb when i return to work.

Yes, i know that. But you are asking if that will be too long when you go back to work and i have said yes, it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

I know most people on this form would be of the opinion its too long, however I don't think its too long when there are two dogs. I would make sure the yard is secure, and they have toys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I think it's a long time on their own, and who knows what kind of mischief they could get up to! It's tough when you have bonded with them, course, but this is always a risk with fostering - you could end up with 10 dogs at this rate :)

(and any chance you could punctuate your posts, OP. It's really hard to make sense of what you're saying, thanks!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

leanonme wrote: »
    I know most people on this form would be of the opinion its too long, however I don't think its too long when there are two dogs. I would make sure the yard is secure, and they have toys etc.
    A dog is not a substitute for human contact; nor can another dog take them out for a pee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Sorry just on that note, what did people do years ago when they went to work and there was no such thing as doggie day care. I know may house holds where people work a 9-5, and the dogs are alone for that space of time plus commutes. I think once you live out side Dublin Doggie day care is not always an option, as its a rare thing to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Truth of the matter is most dogs all they want is their humans… another dogs company while better than not is still not enough….
    toys????… most dogs play with their toys with their humans.

While my dog may go around with his teddy, I’ve yet to see him pick up a toy and randomly play with it… without human interaction they won’t bother.

OP in answer to your questions YES 8/10/12 a days is too long… you know tis already that’s why you have arrangements made for your other dog ie doggie day care…
    you know deep down in your heart it’s too long otherwise your other dog would already be home alone and he not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Sorry just on that note, what did people do years ago when they went to work and there was no such thing as doggie day care. I know may house holds where people work a 9-5, and the dogs are alone for that space of time plus commutes. I think once you live out side Dublin Doggie day care is not always an option, as its a rare thing to see.

Years ago its was the norm to have a stay at home parent. not the case anymore....

IMO if people cannot provide a happy home for a dog (ie not be left alone in a garden 12 hours a day) then dont be selfish and dont get one.

DBB wrote: »
    If you look at this in an honest, unbiased way, 10-12 hours is way too long to leave any number of dogs alone for on any sort of regular basis. Are you fostering for a rescue group? If so, are they ok with the dog being alone for such long hours?
    But the big elephant in the room is this: if you keep the Staffie, it forces a considerable step-down for your own terrier in terms of the quality-of-life he currently enjoys.
    Personally, that would be an absolute deal-breaker for me.
    If the Staffie goes to another home with owners who aren't away for so long, then the Staffie wins, your own dog wins, and perhaps the next dog you foster would fit better into your current lifestyle in terms of getting on with everyone and mind-ability, so he'd win too.
    I do appreciate there's a bond there now between you and the Staffie, but looking at the cold facts, I don't think you're doing either dog any favours by keeping him. This is not a criticism of you at all, it's just the way it is :)

can u delete this thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I will close the thread at your request op, but we don't delete threads unless there are seriously compelling reasons.
    If you feel your reasons for wanting it deleted are compelling, drop me a pm.
    All the best,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement