Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ID this shrub

• 16-12-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭

Hi, I planted a couple of tiny shrub type plants bought in an Ikea a couple of years ago. They are planted either side of the top of some steps from the driveway to the upper part of my front garden. They have grown very quickly in the past couple of years and I am hoping to form an arch with them in the next year or so. They look quite similar to ulex/whin however they are soft to touch. The photos were taken a week ago and you can see they are still in flower....they have been in flower since early summer. Don't mind their unkempt appearance. i will be trimming them in the spring or later in the winter.
    Can anyone put a name to them?

20141206_133902_zps2c640b2c.jpg

20141206_133835_zpsf3a060d9.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭highdef

After doing some further investigation, I think it MIGHT be common/Scotch broom

666cb1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Yes - Spanish broom, or at least a very close relation. They should take trimming pretty well - after flowering might be best. They seem to be thriving where they are so must like their situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭highdef

Thank you......that looks like the one - the scent in summer is something else!

Advertisement