Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Motorbike Jacket leaking and falling apart, wont take it back

• 16-12-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Last november bought an oxford motorbike jacket from my local honda centre, jacket was going grand until this october, it started leaking badly and i was getting soaked. Then the velcro started coming off so i couldnt seal it anymore, anyhow rang the dealer and they said they would get onto oxford, this was in november, still under a year.

Got a reply today and basically oxford told me to f**k off and they dont do a years warranty, buy a new jacket.

My question is should a €120 motorbike jacket fall apart in under a year? Is there anything I can do, i feel ive been ripped off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hey guys,

Last november bought an oxford motorbike jacket from my local honda centre, jacket was going grand until this october, it started leaking badly and i was getting soaked. Then the velcro started coming off so i couldnt seal it anymore, anyhow rang the dealer and they said they would get onto oxford, this was in november, still under a year.

Got a reply today and basically oxford told me to f**k off and they dont do a years warranty, buy a new jacket.

My question is should a €120 motorbike jacket fall apart in under a year? Is there anything I can do, i feel ive been ripped off
    Sale of goods act should mean that a jacket should last longer than 12 mths.
    Try contacting this crowd. http://www.eccireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sale of goods act should mean that a jacket should last longer than 12 mths.
    Try contacting this crowd. http://www.eccireland.ie/

It's nothing to do with Oxford so no need to contact the ECC.

The OP has a contract with their local Honda dealer to supply them with a waterproof bike jacket. Get back onto the dealer and say that under The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act the jacket has to last a reasonable time, a year definitely isn't, and the shop has to offer you either a repair, replacement or refund. Repairs have to be permanent. You aren't automatically entitled to a refund so you need to work with the shop, but if all else fails the Small Claims court is only €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

To be fair if I bought a textile jacket for 120 I would expect it to leak the first time it rained.

You really need to buy good expensive gear if looking for waterproof textiles. Gortex even.

I don't think it should be " falling apart after a year" however with every day use for commuting etc , it is bound to show some wear and tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

leppla wrote: »
    To be fair if I bought a textile jacket for 120 I would expect it to leak the first time it rained.

You really need to buy good expensive gear if looking for waterproof textiles. Gortex even.

I don't think it should be " falling apart after a year" however with every day use for commuting etc , it is bound to show some wear and tear.

I can deal with "wear and tear", however the condition it is in is unacceptable. I can't fasten it up anymore because of the velcro falling off, light rain and I'm soaked through.

If you feel €120 is too cheap, I've seen cheaper jackets last much longer and I doubt my local Honda centre would be selling them if so.

I can deal with "wear and tear", however the condition it is in is unacceptable. I can't fasten it up anymore because of the velcro falling off, light rain and I'm soaked through.

If you feel €120 is too cheap, I've seen cheaper jackets last much longer and I doubt my local Honda centre would be selling them if so.

I don't think its to cheap to buy. I think it's to cheap to be waterproof.
    I currently have a textile buffalo jacket about 2 years for around the same money. It's not waterproof never was and never will be. But I wear a richa rain warrior and it's grand.
    It has a few threads loose around the Velcro and looks a bit roughed up however it is still fully functional and I am sure it will remain that way for years to come.

Don't fool yourself into thinking your honda shop would not sell crap. Shops will sell pure ****e to you and tell you it's the business if it puts cash in their pockets.

Your jacket sounds like it's in a bad way so I would be going into them with it and put it in writing to them that you are not happy and will take further action of they don't soert it out.
    For 120 quid I'm sure they won't want the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

leppla wrote: »

If it said its rain proof then I'd expect it to be rain proof regardless the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 aido43

Had issues with Oxford jacket myself--threads poor quality and unravelling on sleeves. My Dealer replaced within 2 months--was sure I registered with Oxford on purchase and it was a 2 Year Warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

For an item like a bike jacket I think the amount of use it has gotten is more important than the amount of time elapsed since you bought it.

If you spent €120 on a jacket and only took the bike out for a short spin every other weekend then it should still be in good condition.

If you are doing 400 miles a week taking it on and off multiple times a day then for €120 you've got your moneys worth and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

MMM..dodgy one this..a year is a long time for bike gear, especially if youre wearing it every day..does the jacket look well used...velcro can wear out ,especially if it isnt "velcro" to begin with...When i couriered i generally got new gear before the winter as it takes a hammering even during the hot summer months....elbows and chest/stomach take a lot of friction and are usually the first places to leak....
    Having said that its still under a year old...keep at it, maybe you might get a good discount on a new jacket....;)

Are we talking the BHC here....??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

With bike gear, it can take a hell of a lot of wear and tear in a short enough time. Ive seen bike boots falling apart after 4 months.... 4 months of a trip around europe where I swear they looked like the guy walked most of the way.

That said, because such wear and tear is hard to quantify, unless the jacket looks absolutely trashed, most shops will look after you, even if their supplier says Nah. They want to keep you as a customer, usually. Go back and ask again, but do be honest with yourself. If youve worn the guts out of the jacket, you might need to get a better one so it lasts longer.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    With bike gear, it can take a hell of a lot of wear and tear in a short enough time. Ive seen bike boots falling apart after 4 months.... 4 months of a trip around europe where I swear they looked like the guy walked most of the way.

That said, because such wear and tear is hard to quantify, unless the jacket looks absolutely trashed, most shops will look after you, even if their supplier says Nah. They want to keep you as a customer, usually. Go back and ask again, but do be honest with yourself. If youve worn the guts out of the jacket, you might need to get a better one so it lasts longer.

It was bought for Xmas, started wearing it in January, but not every day and when i did it was for max of 30 km each spin. Was off the road for 3 months then so it was in wardrobe and then was used for the summer months, again the commutes weren't long but it wasn't raining or anything.

Never came off the bike with it, only when it started raining recently (November really) I noticed it leaking, this was with light rain too, my hoodie from Heatons is keeping me more dry than the jacket is.

In regards to the Velcro, all the sticking has come off and the Velcro strips are falling off the jacket, they don't stick much either any more.

I'd say something if I was out on long commutes everyday or have had a few slaps or brought it out in torrential rain (I haven't cause I know I'll get drenched). But for someone who commutes to school and back and possibly into town on the weekends, not even used for the year as I said I was off the bike for a while, I just don't see how it could wear so much, or even more how its 0% waterproof.

I'd be rightly pissed off over this.. I bought my jacket in the old Mountjoy Motorcycles, must have been about 25yrs ago and its still as weather proof today as the day I bought it.

I bought a pair of RST textile pants at the last RDS bike show and they're crap, but I can't remember which stall I bought them from and have no receipt otherwise the damned things would have went back ages ago.. The leak like f*ck.

From what your saying it sounds like you got a very raw deal there. Try your luck with then again . Otherwise name and Shame them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭greasepalm

no one asked how many times he was off the bike sliding around in his jacket:eek::D
    1 year is no life of a jacket.

greasepalm wrote: »
    no one asked how many times he was off the bike sliding around in his jacket:eek::D
    1 year is no life of a jacket.

Already said i had no falls with the jacket (yet, touch wood) ;)

I'll give the dealer another try tomorrow, I'm very good friends with them and am very disappointed but don't want a falling out either.

Then again I thought they would be a bit more helpful, my RST boots are leaking and even though out of warranty they are replacing them, it just seems to be oxford products, odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

leppla wrote:

Price has nothing to do with this, an item was sold which didn't match description, shimples.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MMM..dodgy one this..a year is a long time for bike gear, especially if youre wearing it every day..does the jacket look well used...velcro can wear out ,especially if it isnt "velcro" to begin with...When i couriered i generally got new gear before the winter as it takes a hammering even during the hot summer months....elbows and chest/stomach take a lot of friction and are usually the first places to leak....
    Having said that its still under a year old...keep at it, maybe you might get a good discount on a new jacket....;)

Are we talking the BHC here....??

Courier use and commuting use are completely different. If a jacket can't take a few years of daily commuting use its not of merchantable quality, a jacket should last much longer than a year of being opened and closed 4 or 6 times daily.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Courier use and commuting use are completely different. If a jacket can't take a few years of daily commuting use its not of merchantable quality, a jacket should last much longer than a year of being opened and closed 4 or 6 times daily.

Maybe he opened it 7 times a day.........:P

Any word...???/.....is it the Breigh H***a Senter..????;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

I'd be rightly pissed off over this.. I bought my jacket in the old Mountjoy Motorcycles, must have been about 25yrs ago and its still as weather proof today as the day I bought it.

Fair play it still fits you .. Six inch gap on the zip on front of my old jacket from '80s. Not waterproof if you can't close the damn thing.

Dexter Bip wrote: »
    Fair play it still fits you .. Six inch gap on the zip on front of my old jacket from '80s. Not waterproof if you can't close the damn thing.

Same here..perfect Rukka jacket and pants..water proof and the warmest thing i've ever had......pity about the shrinkage though.....:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Same here..perfect Rukka jacket and pants..water proof and the warmest thing i've ever had......pity about the shrinkage though.....:o

In fairness there is a HUGE difference in price and quality between Rukka and oxford. I should bloody well hope its still waterproof the price of the stuff €1000+ for a suit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I bought a pair of RST textile pants at the last RDS bike show and they're crap, but I can't remember which stall I bought them from and have no receipt otherwise the damned things would have went back ages ago.. The leak like f*ck.
    My jacket is around the same age. Was my fathers til I borrowed it off him about five years ago. Still 100% waterproof.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    My jacket is around the same age. Was my fathers til I borrowed it off him about five years ago. Still 100% waterproof.

Just as a matter of interest has it ever been washed?.

Mine hasn't, not once!.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness there is a HUGE difference in price and quality between Rukka and oxford. I should bloody well hope its still waterproof the price of the stuff €1000+ for a suit!

Not back in the 80's when i bought it from Paddy Maddock.....although it was expensive back then too...maybe £100........:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Mine hasn't, not once!.
    What is this washing you speak of? ;)

Mine hasn't, not once!.
    Nope, never!

Sure the breeze keeps it clean.. Probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you have an old non leather jacket and never wash it, surely it stinks after a while? The constant layers of road crud thrown on it? Mine needs a proper wash every year

Never noticed a smell and it never looks dirty.

I'd never considered it before now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you have an old non leather jacket and never wash it, surely it stinks after a while? The constant layers of road crud thrown on it? Mine needs a proper wash every year

The smell will be coming from the inside, not the outside. Sweat soaking into the lining, etc...

Used to know a fella who always wore the same textile jacket for years, you could smell him approaching at 20 paces if his jacket zip was open :eek:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The smell will be coming from the inside, not the outside. Sweat soaking into the lining, etc...

Used to know a fella who always wore the same textile jacket for years, you could smell him approaching at 20 paces if his jacket zip was open :eek:

No, its 100% definitely the outside. The cordura layer. Smells worse when it gets wet. Not hard to clean though, just soak it in a bucket of water with milton in it before it goes in the wash with nickwax

Advertisement