Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 night vs 5 night stay. medical insurance.

Options
  • 16-12-2014 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

My wife is 27 weeks pregnant. (Hooray)
    She feels she is likely to need a cesarean due to hip issues, though the consultant(pleasant chap in holles st) is non committal thus far.
    She is semi private, she has fairly standard medical insurance through one on the main providers.
    It says she is covered for up to 3 nights. Should I be budgeting another 1600 or so if she needs another two nights after that? Or is there generally some other provision for c sections that I am missing?
    Will of course get her to contact the insurance to confirm, just wondering if anyone could shed some light in advance.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

C-sections will generally be 5 nights and paid for by health insurance. It is normally written on your plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

When I looked up my policy online it only mentioned the 3 night stay. I rang them and they said they cover 5 nights for a c section. Ring to be sure but you'll more than likely be covered. Also ask can your wife claim pre and post natal expenses and what they are. This wasn't mentioned on the website but was on the phone. You might be able to claim for things like physio or baby massage etc if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Normally covered for 5 nights for a section, though check with them as said previously. Not meaning to pry, is your wife suffering from pgp/spd?
    If the consultant is being non committal and she wants to have a c section its worth reading the NICE guidelines in the UK (clinical excellence standards) which state that at the end of the day it should be the woman's choice. It has good information in there so she can show she is making an informed decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was covered for five nights both times. On my first I might have had to stay an extra night but it would have been covered as it was for medical reasons. Five nights would be standard after a section, but you can discharge earlier if you want-I left after four nights second time as I was ready to go.

Holles Street is proud of its low section rate and if your wife feels she wants one I would advise her to get all her ducks in a row as several of the consultants are quite anti C-section (I went for one I knew would leave the choice up to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Normally covered for 5 nights for a section, though check with them as said previously. Not meaning to pry, is your wife suffering from pgp/spd?
    If the consultant is being non committal and she wants to have a c section its worth reading the NICE guidelines in the UK (clinical excellence standards) which state that at the end of the day it should be the woman's choice. It has good information in there so she can show she is making an informed decision.

Nope, was born with hip dysplasia, was told when she was younger that she would need a c section, accepted that, now being told she can probably go naturally, the consultantbis not being obstructive at all, sorry if my post came across that way. He is just arranging for her to see a midwife to confirm that she can go through the full range of movement.

I think she was just convinced that she would need to be sectioned, she may just need a little while to get used to the natural alternative. We are first timers and are more than happy to follow instructions, we don't have a clue!

Thanks all for the info, exciting times ahead!

• Advertisement

Medical science around birth has come a long way, what she was told years ago might be not so important these days. Especially if she wants a natural birth and is under a skilled midwife. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

72 hours in hospital for a section now, if everything goes to plan.

I spent 5 nights on my first 6 years ago and 72 hours in May this year after my c section. This was Rotunda but it would have been the same in different hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Hi there,

You probably already have your answer, but I'll go for it anyway :p

The 3 night cover only applies to a "normal" vaginal delivery.
    A c-section is treated as any other inpatient stay; that is to say that it is unlimited, as long as it is deemed medically necessary by the consultant.
    Many women who have c-sections stay 4-6 days.

Note that it is your consultants opinion that matters to the insurer, not yours.
    Any whisper of an "elective" procedure on your claim form, and you will likely be denied cover for the section, and only covered for the normal 3 day stay.

Always confirm cover with your insurer though, and make sure you have served your maternity waiting period (usually 1 year)!!!!

I was covered immediately on medical insurance and all doctors will put down that the section was for medical reasons. There are many medical reasons for requesting and having an elective section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

The 3 night rule only comes into play for a "routine birth". A c-section is classed as a medical procedure as opposed to maternity and is covered under the inpatient section of your policy. They will pay for you to stay for as long as is medically necessary so no need to worry on that front

• Advertisement
Advertisement