Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meniscus Recovery Advice Required

Options
  • 16-12-2014 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Need advice on Meniscus injury.

Background -

slight twist in my knee at soccer training - made my knee flair up.
    Physio diagnosed it as a Meniscus Injury and told me it would be 4-6 weeks for recovery without needing surgery.

Exercises
    Week 1 - Basic movement into the leg to get functionality back and lots of foam rolling. 5 days that week.

Week 2 - I introduced weighted leg curls/extensions and presses as well as a 15 minute cycle + foam rolling. 4 days that week.

Week 3 - 15 mins cycle/15 min cross training. weighted leg curls/extensions and presses. Lateral Lunges and Weighted step ups.

All above exercises achieved with no pain up until this morning.

The problem I'm finding is when I'm stretching i still have knee pain when I do a deep quad stretches? Any advice here?

I have also lots of clicking in the injured knee - but I presume this is normal.

Due to the time of year I don't really have much spare cash to be visiting the physio once a week.

When would a safe time to introduce running , squatting, deadlifts ect? And will the deep knee pain eventually stop. Last thing I want to do is go back soccer training too early and break down once again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Rida wrote: »
    Need advice on Meniscus injury.

Background -

slight twist in my knee at soccer training - made my knee flair up.
    Physio diagnosed it as a Meniscus Injury and told me it would be 4-6 weeks for recovery without needing surgery.

Exercises
    Week 1 - Basic movement into the leg to get functionality back and lots of foam rolling. 5 days that week.

Week 2 - I introduced weighted leg curls/extensions and presses as well as a 15 minute cycle + foam rolling. 4 days that week.

Week 3 - 15 mins cycle/15 min cross training. weighted leg curls/extensions and presses. Lateral Lunges and Weighted step ups.

All above exercises achieved with no pain up until this morning.

The problem I'm finding is when I'm stretching i still have knee pain when I do a deep quad stretches? Any advice here?

I have also lots of clicking in the injured knee - but I presume this is normal.

Due to the time of year I don't really have much spare cash to be visiting the physio once a week.

When would a safe time to introduce running , squatting, deadlifts ect? And will the deep knee pain eventually stop. Last thing I want to do is go back soccer training too early and break down once again.

Is this the program your physio have you???

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Rida

Pretty much - except for week 1 - he wanted me to do it for 2 weeks. But I felt my knee had enough movement to progress to the next phase

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

Is it a medial meniscus problem or lateral?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Meniscus injuries are hard to diagnose properly without a scan. I'd be looking for a second opinion myself if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Done medials on both knees playing soccer. Took 2-3 months for each one to be ok. All I'll say is do the physio and don't skip any of it. I was running in straight lines for ages on top of numerous flexibility and strengthening exercises before I kicked a ball. Took my physios advice and came back fitter in the end. Neither have given trouble since...touchwood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement