Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using "IF" function

Options
  • 16-12-2014 4:31pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In column K, I have this formula "=C2-C1". I then filled down, whereby each number increases by one. The K column is formatted for time.
    What I want to do is edit this formula to contain an "IF" statement. What I want is to keep the formula as it is, unless the corresponding row in column "B" contains the text "ON". When that happens I would like the corrosponding cell in "K" to ignore the existing formula and insert the time 00:00:01 Any cell in column "B" that has "On" will also have a coloured cell if that is any help.

As an example: lets take row 100; "B100" contains "ON" in a red cell. I would like "K100" to then have 00:00:01. If there is any thing else in "B", I want K to have its original "=C100-C99" formula.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Assuming K cell ref is same as C2, eg K2.

=if(B2="On","",C2-C1)

no use here for formatting, but if you have the logic of the formatting you could insert this in the formula
    eg
    =if(B2="On","",IF(otherfield="othercriteria","",C2-C1))

this is equals not contains.

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("On",B2))=TRUE,"",C2-C1)

appears to be case sensitive

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("On",B2))=TRUE,IF(ISERROR(FIND("on",B2))=TRUE,"",C2-C1),C2-C1)

will check for both On and on
    change as appropriate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Taltos wrote: »
    Assuming K cell ref is same as C2, eg K2.

=if(B2="On","",C2-C1)

no use here for formatting, but if you have the logic of the formatting you could insert this in the formula
    eg
    =if(B2="On","",IF(otherfield="othercriteria","",C2-C1))

this is equals not contains.

I haven't had a chance to try and understand your second post yet. I have been working on the one above. I am not any sort of expert on excel, but get by with the basics.
    I have managed to use your =if(B2="On","",C2-C1) by inserting 00:00:01, like this =if(B2="On","00:00:01",C2-C1).
    It is working well by doing that. Because I have the column formatted for hours and minutes, the seconds don't normally show, but using "=if(B2="On","00:00:01",C2-C1)" the seconds show. It isn't a big problem, but if there was a handy way around it......

Having the cell empty gives all sorts of problems in other cells. That is why I needed the 1 second in it.

Thanks for helping.

Replace your "00:00:01"
    with

time(0,0,1)

eg
    from =if(B2="On","00:00:01",C2-C1)
    to =if(B2="On",time(0,0,1),C2-C1)

Per the other formula, I used the FIND as that is what I am used to, but a google search back back with SEARCH that doesn't care about the case sensitivity

if you need to use the formula where ON could be anywhere in the field.

=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("On",B2))=TRUE,TIME(0,0,1),C2-C1)

broken down
    =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("On",B2))=TRUE
    >> if Search does not find ON or On or similar it will return a #VALUE or #NA this combination of IF with ISERROR
    means that where it finds an error to use your default value ,TIME(0,0,1)
    >> Otherwise use the formula where it had NO error and thus found the ON ,C2-C1)

• Advertisement

Replace your "00:00:01"
    with

time(0,0,1)

eg
    from =if(B2="On","00:00:01",C2-C1)
    to =if(B2="On",time(0,0,1),C2-C1)

Perfect! Thanks for your help.

fyi I am recording the time my heating boiler is running for compared to the time that heat is turned on. I needed to stop my excel sheet from adding time when heating was off. So having it put in 1 second is as good as having it add nothing.

Per the other formula, I used the FIND as that is what I am used to, but a google search back back with SEARCH that doesn't care about the case sensitivity

if you need to use the formula where ON could be anywhere in the field.

broken down
    =IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("On",B2))=TRUE
    >> if Search does not find ON or On or similar it will return a #VALUE or #NA this combination of IF with ISERROR
    means that where it finds an error to use your default value ,TIME(0,0,1)
    >> Otherwise use the formula where it had NO error and thus found the ON ,C2-C1)

I sort of understand that from reading it and could understand it properly if I used it in a sheet. I will save it and play around with it later.

Just watch out - if you put in "Not on" - it will treat it as On... ;)

And no worries, glad I could help.

Advertisement