Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Question!

Options
  • 16-12-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Do you have to pay for the time in hospital? My girlfriend is due shortly and I've just realised that I've no idea whether labour, delivery and aftercare including a night or two stay is free or not. We have no medical insurance and are with the Rotunda.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Nope, it's all free! I had a 3 night stay in the Rotunda public and didn't have to pay anything. We were delighted with the care too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Dolbert wrote: »
    Nope, it's all free! I had a 3 night stay in the Rotunda public and didn't have to pay anything. We were delighted with the care too.

Thanks, that sets my mind at ease!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I went public. Ended up a week in hospital. Didn't cost me a penny and excellent care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There are no stupid questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

I know the op is probably a parent by now but just in case anyone else reads this thread - maternity services via the public system are only free (or rather paid for by the state) if you are 'ordinarily resident' in Ireland.

I also agree with the others the standard of care received is normally excellent.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/women_s_health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement