Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site structure - categories & sub categories

Options
  • 16-12-2014 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm looking for some help. I've a personal website and one of my categories is a hobby, photography. One of the categories is Mayo GAA. I photograph all the football match's and sometimes other match's, ladies and hurling too.

At the moment, (for the last 2 years) I've been uploading all the match photos on pix.ie, under their own albums, one for each match. I intend to move all these over to my website where I have more control. At the moment I've a page set up on my site, devided into sections for each year and each match is linked to the corrisponding album on pix.ie.

My question is, I'm going to set up a portfolio section on my website for all the match photos. I am thinking of using categories and sub categories,for example;
    http://mysite .com/mayo-gaa-photos/national-football-league-2014/mayo-v-dublin.

or would this be better SEO wise?
    http://mysite .com/mayo-gaa-photos-2014/national-football-league/mayo-v-dublin. Alt tags are always added to each photo on upload to the site.

Which would be best, to include the date in the mayo gaa photos category or in the sub category national football league? I want to start off on the right path as already I've thousands of photos and its only going to get bigger every year!

Thanks for any advice,
    Mick.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dgerryd

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm looking for some help. I've a personal website and one of my categories is a hobby, photography. One of the categories is Mayo GAA. I photograph all the football match's and sometimes other match's, ladies and hurling too.

At the moment, (for the last 2 years) I've been uploading all the match photos on pix.ie, under their own albums, one for each match. I intend to move all these over to my website where I have more control. At the moment I've a page set up on my site, devided into sections for each year and each match is linked to the corrisponding album on pix.ie.

My question is, I'm going to set up a portfolio section on my website for all the match photos. I am thinking of using categories and sub categories,for example;
    http://mysite .com/mayo-gaa-photos/national-football-league-2014/mayo-v-dublin.

or would this be better SEO wise?
    http://mysite .com/mayo-gaa-photos-2014/national-football-league/mayo-v-dublin. Alt tags are always added to each photo on upload to the site.

Which would be best, to include the date in the mayo gaa photos category or in the sub category national football league? I want to start off on the right path as already I've thousands of photos and its only going to get bigger every year!

Thanks for any advice,
    Mick.

You have the right idea but I would try to narrow it down lets say you could have county gaa as a category & county hurling & and if there is camogie you do the same for that, likewise for national,

I wouldnt reference the dates at all in the urls, as rather than get seo benefit from it you would probably get the opposite effect as with dates they start to become stale and google are more inclined to show fresh updated content you here others saying writing headlines like "50 places to stay in spain on a budget 2014" just defeats your effort because it's not evergreen and will become outdated so just a though.

so something like
    HOME GAA-COUNTY GAA-NATIONAL HURLING-COUNTY HURLING-NATIONAL

and so on so you would end up with urls like

mysite.com/gaa-county/mayo-v-galway hope that makes sense. It's just with Google and their demands it's better to not go to a load of effort and then they decide to punish sites because they don't want urls a certain way.

Someone else might do it different but that would be my take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

dgerryd wrote: »
    You have the right idea but I would try to narrow it down lets say you could have county gaa as a category & county hurling & and if there is camogie you do the same for that, likewise for national,

I wouldnt reference the dates at all in the urls, as rather than get seo benefit from it you would probably get the opposite effect as with dates they start to become stale and google are more inclined to show fresh updated content you here others saying writing headlines like "50 places to stay in spain on a budget 2014" just defeats your effort because it's not evergreen and will become outdated so just a though.

so something like
    HOME GAA-COUNTY GAA-NATIONAL HURLING-COUNTY HURLING-NATIONAL

and so on so you would end up with urls like

mysite.com/gaa-county/mayo-v-galway hope that makes sense. It's just with Google and their demands it's better to not go to a load of effort and then they decide to punish sites because they don't want urls a certain way.

Someone else might do it different but that would be my take.

Hi dgerryd,

Thanks for replying. I've 3 years of photos from nearly every Mayo match. Have them uploaded to various different places since the start. I've only changed my site to my own hosting a year ago. If I was starting again I'd have set up on my own hosting from the start instead of going with a /freedomain.com! Doubling the work now on myself, You live and learn I suppose.

I,m doing a major overhaul on my site, and I've changed my theme to the new Divi theme. Its pretty good, lots of customization with it. It has the layout thet I'm looking for. For each match album I upload the photos into a gallery as a project page, categorize it as FBD 2014, National Football League 2014 and Championship 2014. I'll create a new page Mayo GAA Photos 2014 as a portfolio page with all the albums sorted in order. I'll create a main page then for the main menu, Mayo GAA Photos and then the yearly photo albums as sub pages, mysite .com/mayo-gaa-photos/mayo-gaa-photos-2014.

I've 10's of thousands of photos to sort through (again) and its taking a lot longer then I'd hoped, 2014 done only 2013 & 2012 to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dgerryd

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Hi dgerryd,

Thanks for replying. I've 3 years of photos from nearly every Mayo match. Have them uploaded to various different places since the start. I've only changed my site to my own hosting a year ago. If I was starting again I'd have set up on my own hosting from the start instead of going with a /freedomain.com! Doubling the work now on myself, You live and learn I suppose.

I,m doing a major overhaul on my site, and I've changed my theme to the new Divi theme. Its pretty good, lots of customization with it. It has the layout thet I'm looking for. For each match album I upload the photos into a gallery as a project page, categorize it as FBD 2014, National Football League 2014 and Championship 2014. I'll create a new page Mayo GAA Photos 2014 as a portfolio page with all the albums sorted in order. I'll create a main page then for the main menu, Mayo GAA Photos and then the yearly photo albums as sub pages, mysite .com/mayo-gaa-photos/mayo-gaa-photos-2014.

I've 10's of thousands of photos to sort through (again) and its taking a lot longer then I'd hoped, 2014 done only 2013 & 2012 to finish!

Hey Mike not sure if this little tool would help you out but I find it great it's a bulk file rename editor here http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php the free download does the trick if you have a load of files with numbers and jibberish letters in the file name you can use it to clean up thousands of files that sounds like what you need.

There is a bit of learning to get the hang of it but it's worth it good luck.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. Was looking for a plugin to do the renaming of all the files on upload. Time consuming adding title and alt to each file after upload.

Thanks a million for the link, I'll check it out. :)

Just a follow up on what I've done.

I've changed the theme on my site (that's another story!) The theme supports portfolio projects and the layout is what I was looking for. For each match I create a new project, which in effect is a custom post. I then upload all the photos from a match into a gallery in the post. What I then do is assign a category to that project (which are separate categories from the main post categories) for example Championship 2014, National Football League 2012 etc.

I then created a main page Mayo GAA Photos and sub-pages for each year Mayo GAA Photos 2012, 2013, 2014 etc. I then add my 3 portfolio projects to each year page for example Mayo GAA Photos 2013 will have 3 portfolios, FBD, National Football League and Championship with the corresponding categories in each portfolio. The layout is as I want it for the viewer, though I still have some work to do on the pages visually.

I might be way off the mark with how I've done it, but feck it, me head is fried! Link here; http://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/

• Advertisement
Advertisement