Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a plot

Options
  • 16-12-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm doing some research on a self build.

I don't own any land so I'm trying to find a suitable plot on which to build. I understand land areas are zoned by local councils, e.g. residential, commercial and you have to apply for planning permission to build a house over a certain size and apply to change the zoning if needed. The thing is, how do you go about finding land to buy? I've been searching sites like daft.ie, myhome.ie etc, but most of the land options there are either agricultural, commercial, or large zoned residential areas for developers. Are there other ways to find small plots of land to buy? I'm only looking for 1/2 acre to 1 acre.

Is it crazy to try and find a location that may not be advertised as being for sale and asking the owner to sell you a part of it? Even if the land is not residential zoned? I'm sure the planning would be a nightmare. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭thebackbar

I know it may sound a bit daft, but try putting up a notice in your local shop. I did it and I got three to four calls, and eventually bought a site off one of them.
    dutopia wrote: »
    Hi all,

I don't own any land so I'm trying to find a suitable plot on which to build. I understand land areas are zoned by local councils, e.g. residential, commercial and you have to apply for planning permission to build a house over a certain size and apply to change the zoning if needed. The thing is, how do you go about finding land to buy? I've been searching sites like daft.ie, myhome.ie etc, but most of the land options there are either agricultural, commercial, or large zoned residential areas for developers. Are there other ways to find small plots of land to buy? I'm only looking for 1/2 acre to 1 acre.

Is it crazy to try and find a location that may not be advertised as being for sale and asking the owner to sell you a part of it? Even if the land is not residential zoned? I'm sure the planning would be a nightmare. :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

dutopia wrote: »
    Hi all,

Are you living in county Dublin? That's 'rural' county Dublin? You need to look at the dublin county development plan and research 'zoning requirements in county Dublin for domestic one-off new build houses'

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

thebackbar wrote: »
    I know it may sound a bit daft, but try putting up a notice in your local shop. I did it and I got three to four calls, and eventually bought a site off one of them.

Interesting. That's the thing, maybe there are people willing to sell land but not actively trying to sell it. Putting an ad up might be worth doing, thanks!

BryanF wrote: »
    Are you living in county Dublin? That's 'rural' county Dublin? You need to look at the dublin county development plan and research 'zoning requirements in county Dublin for domestic one-off new build houses'

Yup, county Dublin. Rural enough I suppose.

I'll do some research it it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Let us know how you get on. Interested in this myself. North/West Dublin myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Just to update, I ended up buying a house in Skerries so I didn't find out any more useful information I'm afraid.

Advertisement