Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employees or Subcontractors?

Options
  • 16-12-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

I am completely new to business, however I am currently applying for the BTWEA and am hoping to start my business in the new year. It will be a home cleaning business. One of the many questions I have is should I use sub contractors or employees as my cleaners?

What are the benefits or negatives of either?

I really dont know which way to go.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Leaving aside the tax issues involved, you would always be preferring to employ contractors over employees.

There is less paperwork involved, you dont have to pay employers prsi, you dont have to worry about holiday pay or sick pay, you dont have to use them again if they f**k up.

On the other hand, if they are effectively employees, the revenue can deem them so and stick you for the additional payroll taxes that would have been due.

dbran

Advertisement