Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barberries - where to buy? (Dublin)

Options
  • 16-12-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Trying to find dried barberries without any luck.
    Have tried; Asian Food Co, Asian Market, Mortons, The Hopsack, Fallon & Byrne, Donnybrook Fair, but no dice.

Anyone got any ideas where I might find them (in Dublin)?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

You need a Mediterranean Shop for barberries, any of the Turkish/Middle Eastern small supermarkets with a halal butchers counter in the back.

Google turns up a few
    https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=mediterranean+shop+dublin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is better suited to the Dublin City forum.

Moved from Cooking & Recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Barberries are supposedly sweet and tart. I have always used dried cranberries when a recipe called for it (an acceptable substitute apparently). Always turned out well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Got them on Amazon when looking for them for an Ottolenghi recipe. You have to soak them before using them, by the way.
    I'd be inclined to replace them with currants or raisins soaked in lemon juice to get the same sweet-tart taste.

Got them on Amazon when looking for them for an Ottolenghi recipe. You have to soak them before using them, by the way.
    I'd be inclined to replace them with currants or raisins soaked in lemon juice to get the same sweet-tart taste.

Also used them in an Ottolenghi recipe. The meatballs one by any chance? That's one of the most delicious dishes I've ever made!

• Advertisement

Also used them in an Ottolenghi recipe. The meatballs one by any chance? That's one of the most delicious dishes I've ever made!

Can't remember what it was - I was strangely underwhelmed! Must try the meatballs. Just got Plenty More (by mistake: clicked the button twice when buying it for a friend!) and any recommendations from that would be welcome.

Edit - took a look online and found the recipe

http://www.3badmice.com/2014/03/3bm-kitchen-lamb-meatballs-with.html

No, not what I made. God, it looks good! But maybe not for this season; not sure if I can lay my hands on fresh mint and tarragon. Dill and parsley, yes, €1.50 for huge bunches from the local Polish shop; mint in the garden. But it sounds a bit summery?

And what about minced lamb - anywhere it's easy to source?

Can't remember what it was - I was strangely underwhelmed! Must try the meatballs. Just got Plenty More (by mistake: clicked the button twice when buying it for a friend!) and any recommendations from that would be welcome.

Edit - took a look online and found the recipe

http://www.3badmice.com/2014/03/3bm-kitchen-lamb-meatballs-with.html

No, not what I made. God, it looks good! But maybe not for this season; not sure if I can lay my hands on fresh mint and tarragon. Dill and parsley, yes, €1.50 for huge bunches from the local Polish shop; mint in the garden. But it sounds a bit summery?

And what about minced lamb - anywhere it's easy to source?

I just get it from my local butcher's. I have rarely been more pleased with a recipe (but I adore lamb). Rave reviews from evetyone i fed it to as well. There is a good bit of prep in it but it's also very straightforward. Do you have "Jerusalem"? It's from that and they recommended serving it with a dish of mixed rice lentils and fried onion, is fabulous. I have actually only made it in summer as it happens.

I am getting "Plenty more" for Christmas so no recommendations yet! I really love his cooking though. Always seems so healthy as well as delicious!

I do have Jerusalem - haven't cooked that much from it, though. I've been in a conservative mood for most of the time since i got it.
    That rice-lentils-onions dish is a standard all across the Middle East. Had it in Cyprus and I thought I would faint from the deliciousness. So simple, and so good. Further east they put spices in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭purethick

Minder wrote: »
    You need a Mediterranean Shop for barberries, any of the Turkish/Middle Eastern small supermarkets with a halal butchers counter in the back.

Will try Thomas Street, thanks
    Barberries are supposedly sweet and tart. I have always used dried cranberries when a recipe called for it (an acceptable substitute apparently). Always turned out well!

Thanks for the alternatives - will try one of these if needed.

For the record, the dish is a (vegetarian) Ottolenghi one; Persian vine leaf and saffron rice tart

Advertisement