Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanderers

• 16-12-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

So Wanderers have plumped to switch match days to a saturday at 5:45 anyone any thoughts on whether this will bring more or less fans to the games?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Hard to tell but I suppose given that Sky will be showing the Premier League on a Friday evening they had no choice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Fair play to them for trying something different, hope it works out

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Earlier time so may get more parents bringing kids. That'd be a win-win situation.

Big changes announced today, hope it works out well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Hopefully I'll reserve judgement there's been a lot of false dawns down the years. Sad to see Jack, amanda and ger gone but a clean slate may well be whats needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Tippex wrote: »
    So Wanderers have plumped to switch match days to a saturday at 5:45 anyone any thoughts on whether this will bring more or less fans to the games?
    Is that only for home games?

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Is that only for home games?

Yup, they've little to no say in away games unless by agreement.

I see they've lumped 20 notes onto the season ticket price too. Not exactly a king's ransom but still a 20% increase....

I see they've lumped 20 notes onto the season ticket price too. Not exactly a king's ransom but still a 20% increase....

In fairness to them the fact that they were €99 was a bit much as far as I know even at €119 they are still by far the cheapest season tickets.
    They were €99 for 3/4 seasons so I reckon its still a great deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'm far from disputing the value of that ticket price-it was incredibly cheap. My point was that as introductions go it's not exactly subtle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

The main issue for me is facilities. The Carlisle is an absolute kip of a ground to be fair, look at Scottish football it's fairly average but the facilities make it look better.

Mahogany wrote: »
    The main issue for me is facilities. The Carlisle is an absolute kip of a ground to be fair, look at Scottish football it's fairly average but the facilities make it look better.

This is the vicious cycle that the league is in. At start of the season, clubs are obviously way behind on money. Then they've to pay players/get to away matches etc. For a club like Bray and the incredible lack of local support despite the population, there isn't much left for improving facilities. The in turn, understandably, turns people off going. This then leaves little to no money and around it goes.

With some luck, the new owners will do up the bathroom facilities at least.

Mushy wrote: »
    This is the vicious cycle that the league is in. At start of the season, clubs are obviously way behind on money. Then they've to pay players/get to away matches etc. For a club like Bray and the incredible lack of local support despite the population, there isn't much left for improving facilities. The in turn, understandably, turns people off going. This then leaves little to no money and around it goes.

With some luck, the new owners will do up the bathroom facilities at least.
    have to 100% agree the lack of support from the town is a joke for the size of the town.
    When you consider there is roughly 35k in the town and easily double that within a few miles (north to Dun Laoghaire and south to wicklow) they really should be one of the best supported teams in the league. They should regularly be getting circa 3k at the games.

But yep the new owners need to put their hands in their pockets and start to improve the ground (I would also say the council need to get their finger out on that too). Once the ground starts to improve hopefully the locals start coming back and the snowball begins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

have to 100% agree the lack of support from the town is a joke for the size of the town.
    When you consider there is roughly 35k in the town and easily double that within a few miles (north to Dun Laoghaire and south to wicklow) they really should be one of the best supported teams in the league. They should regularly be getting circa 3k at the games.

But yep the new owners need to put their hands in their pockets and start to improve the ground (I would also say the council need to get their finger out on that too). Once the ground starts to improve hopefully the locals start coming back and the snowball begins.

Someone is just going to have to be prepared to lose some money for the good of the club. This goes for the whole league not just Bray.

Just looking at the sports capital grant fund, absolute fudge all goes to LOI clubs, so we could really do with some political backing aswell.

Bray could have a classy little ground with around 4,000 seats.

Mahogany wrote: »
    Someone is just going to have to be prepared to lose some money for the good of the club. This goes for the whole league not just Bray.

Just looking at the sports capital grant fund, absolute fudge all goes to LOI clubs, so we could really do with some political backing aswell.

Bray could have a classy little ground with around 4,000 seats.

Stuff like this has been mooted in the soccer forum thread about improving the league. Some nice little examples of small clubs in England, around Conference level, with nice modern stadiums that will hold a small number of people. Obviously the cost would be high for a LOI club, especially Bray, but if it could be done it would make a great help for attendances.

Here was one example:

dartford-princes-park-academy-end.jpg

Fit in seats either side of ground, and have terraces behind goals and it would do a lot to entice people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Fit in seats either side of ground, and have terraces behind goals and it would do a lot to entice people. they'll think of another excuse
    FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

As for looking at a close to 10% turnout from the town, you'd be very optimistic. We couldn't even maintain numbers going to the local cinema. The local theatre struggles to get more than 30 / 40 to a slightly alternative show. The Summerfest is packed for certain gigs but even though free, some bands only get a couple of hundred heading along.

I grew up a couple of streets away from the Carlisle and I never went to a game. I have no interest in football so I wasn't going to go to a game.

I think it's great value for annual membership. The only way to improve support is to get kids going to games.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    As for looking at a close to 10% turnout from the town, you'd be very optimistic. We couldn't even maintain numbers going to the local cinema. The local theatre struggles to get more than 30 / 40 to a slightly alternative show. The Summerfest is packed for certain gigs but even though free, some bands only get a couple of hundred heading along.

I grew up a couple of streets away from the Carlisle and I never went to a game. I have no interest in football so I wasn't going to go to a game.

I think it's great value for annual membership. The only way to improve support is to get kids going to games.

I'd assume the 10% would be surrounding areas also, not just the town.

Fully agreed on second part too though.

I'd assume the 10% would be surrounding areas also, not just the town.

Ideally that would be the case but I can't see it happening.

The kids from all the local clubs should be given a half price season ticket and the pitch should be used by those clubs when the season is over (for a couple of weeks) to build up some sense of local ownership.

The kids from all the local clubs should be given a half price season ticket and the pitch should be used by those clubs when the season is over (for a couple of weeks) to build up some sense of local ownership.

A kids season ticket is like €60 now which is half price. The club do need to do more, giving away some tickets to schoolkids for smaller matches could be a good start. The first match against Drogheda, if local secondary schools got to give tickets for 2e it would help greatly. Same for primary schools...they'd have to bring the parents.

• Advertisement

I know for a fact that it has not necessarily been the club at fault for kids matches not being played in th ground. I've seen it from both sides after being involved with the club in a very small capacity for a while and also being involved with a local schoolboy team. The wicklow league gave pretty much zero support just look at where the kids finals get played one season under elevens played their cup final in the bog meadow and at the time it was literally a bog (only going back two years)

Until the politics involved in local clubs and the wicklow league is sorted then the club are in a no win situation.

Sure when I was a kid 25 yrs ago all finals were played in the Carlisle

A kids season ticket is like €60 now which is half price. The club do need to do more, giving away some tickets to schoolkids for smaller matches could be a good start. The first match against Drogheda, if local secondary schools got to give tickets for 2e it would help greatly. Same for primary schools...they'd have to bring the parents.

Totally agree with this but the problem historically was they would give tickets to schoolkids for one game but would not follow up they would try it once and that would be it.

I think they should allow kids in free for a full season with a full paying adult sure they would make more on the shop than they would on the kids ticket doing it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

I know for a fact that it has not necessarily been the club at fault for kids matches not being played in th ground. I've seen it from both sides after being involved with the club in a very small capacity for a while and also being involved with a local schoolboy team. The wicklow league gave pretty much zero support just look at where the kids finals get played one season under elevens played their cup final in the bog meadow and at the time it was literally a bog (only going back two years)

Until the politics involved in local clubs and the wicklow league is sorted then the club are in a no win situation.

Sure when I was a kid 25 yrs ago all finals were played in the Carlisle

Tippex,
    There is more going on with that situation than you either know or are letting on with regard to finals being played in the Carlisle.

sallymomo wrote: »
    Tippex,
    There is more going on with that situation than you either know or are letting on with regard to finals being played in the Carlisle.

Hence why I said that until the politics involved get resolved. I'm also not claiming to know all the ins and outs and neither do I want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Hence why I said that until the politics involved get resolved. I'm also not claiming to know all the ins and outs and neither do I want to know.

But that's the thing,you refer to the politics of the wicklow league and clubs, but neither of them have the final say in whether the finals can be played in the Carlisle. Its just misleading to say this:

"I know for a fact that it has not necessarily been the club at fault for kids matches not being played in th ground. I've seen it from both sides after being involved with the club in a very small capacity for a while and also being involved with a local schoolboy team. The wicklow league gave pretty much zero support just look at where the kids finals get played one season under elevens played their cup final in the bog meadow and at the time it was literally a bog"

Don't get me wrong, I wish all the finals are played there, I have plenty of my own memories playing there as a kid and winning finals. Great days out for the whole family and I also believe that if the kids do get the experience of playing there that there is more of an incentive for them to go and support their local LOI team.

It has already been acknowledged by bray that they distanced themselves (purposely or otherwise) from the local community - this is one of the reasons why they have now turned to the community for support. I for one would like to see a repeat of the FAI cup semi against Derry with the crowds it drew, but on a more consistent basis. This has to start at interaction with the local kids and their clubs.

sallymomo wrote: »
    But that's the thing,you refer to the politics of the wicklow league and clubs, but neither of them have the final say in whether the finals can be played in the Carlisle. Its just misleading to say this:

"I know for a fact that it has not necessarily been the club at fault for kids matches not being played in th ground. I've seen it from both sides after being involved with the club in a very small capacity for a while and also being involved with a local schoolboy team. The wicklow league gave pretty much zero support just look at where the kids finals get played one season under elevens played their cup final in the bog meadow and at the time it was literally a bog"

Don't get me wrong, I wish all the finals are played there, I have plenty of my own memories playing there as a kid and winning finals. Great days out for the whole family and I also believe that if the kids do get the experience of playing there that there is more of an incentive for them to go and support their local LOI team.

It has already been acknowledged by bray that they distanced themselves (purposely or otherwise) from the local community - this is one of the reasons why they have now turned to the community for support. I for one would like to see a repeat of the FAI cup semi against Derry with the crowds it drew, but on a more consistent basis. This has to start at interaction with the local kids and their clubs.

Now you have just brought back an amazing memory christ we gave Jonathan speak some stick that day he got dogs abuse from all of us kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

As a life long Southampton supporter, who now lives in Wicklow and has soccer mad kids playing for their local club (at 6 and 8), I have often thought about taking them to watch Bray for a bit of fun as we dont go over to SFC that often as it costs a fortune. However many a Bray local have told me it's not a good place to take kids of that age. Is that true? It's actually locals who have likely never been mind you!

To be fair to Bray, they have sent the odd player down to present to the kids in their local club. But could do an awful lot more to encourage kids to support them.

BigMoose wrote: »
    As a life long Southampton supporter, who now lives in Wicklow and has soccer mad kids playing for their local club (at 6 and 8), I have often thought about taking them to watch Bray for a bit of fun as we dont go over to SFC that often as it costs a fortune. However many a Bray local have told me it's not a good place to take kids of that age. Is that true? It's actually locals who have likely never been mind you!

To be fair to Bray, they have sent the odd player down to present to the kids in their local club. But could do an awful lot more to encourage kids to support them.

Bigmoose I don't know where or why parents would be saying that at all unless its a case that they feel that they want to allow their kids to run around the place, then no don't bring them but if it is a case of bring them to a game then why not. Yes the facilities do need improvement and the toilets are a disgrace but at that age you are most likely going to be bringing the kids to the toilet anyway and wouldnt be letting them go on the own.

But as you say yes it is probably locals that havent gone I used to hear comments of "sure the quality of football is crap" blah blah blah and this would be from people who would regularly watch wicklow senior football.

Yes it can be frustrating to support the club but don't let what other have said put you off bring the kids down and watch some games and both you and them just might get hooked.

It's grand for kids of that age. I brought my nephew and niece of a similar age to games there and they just loved it because it was an event and exciting.

There is an area of the stand where the "ultras" stand - best not to sit in front of them :)

• Advertisement

I brought my kids from when the youngest was still in a buggy till the time they refused to be seen in public with me :( . Never had an issue.

At the end of that day it's the highest echelons of domestic soccer in this country and it's on our doorstep.

Even if the Seagulls ain't hitting top form you'll always see a James McClean, Kevin Doyle et al before they hit the big time.

If I was you I wouldn't hesitate. Also, if they like it you might be happy if they go there with you on an evening when they hit their teens. I know I was because there were plenty of worse things they could have been doing...

BigMoose wrote: »

Just going to echo what others have said, it's perfectly safe. Yeah don't sit in the middle of the away teams fans, of course it would be horrible experience. Under the roofed part, around the dugouts, no hassle at all.
    I brought my kids from when the youngest was still in a buggy till the time they refused to be seen in public with me :( . Never had an issue.

At the end of that day it's the highest echelons of domestic soccer in this country and it's on our doorstep.

Even if the Seagulls ain't hitting top form you'll always see a James McClean, Kevin Doyle et al before they hit the big time.

If I was you I wouldn't hesitate. Also, if they like it you might be happy if they go there with you on an evening when they hit their teens. I know I was because there were plenty of worse things they could have been doing...

All of this really. Also quoted for the fantastic username!

So a lot has happened over the last few weeks, not least the investigation into missing money :O

But in 4 weeks time, the league will be starting. A new online jersey store is available with a few extra bits (jackets, polo tops), and the club shop in the Royal Hotel should be open by now. Hope to see a big crowd for the first game, and hope that many of them stick with it, would be great to have a stress free season to be honest.

If anyone wants to catch some live football this evening!

1507052_10155416118925437_7558404062298942383_n.jpg?oh=67cdd4be16152e9fdc792808dab6d69b&oe=55BA0CFB&__gda__=1436885532_b4197209598bb540e5c49b1baec3ca8b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Attendance: 350

That is shameful really, two great sides, in such a well established area, they would be better off selling the Carlisle, or doing a landswap etc and building a proper "stadia" similar to shamrock rovers ground, on the outskirts of Bray close to the m50/N11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

They don't own the Carlisle to sell it. It is on a lease. It would have to be a council decision, and that could delay things by years. I can't see Wicklow County Council building a new stadium for Bray, and can't see the Wanderers having the money to build their own stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Whats going on? Does Bray Wanderers still exist?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

They still exist, beat Sligo away 3-1 last Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Actually see the front wall of the grounds have been condemned by the council and railings placed in front of them (as if that will stop the wall falling down).

Wonder if they will do something with it.

Ground in an awful state but with 300 attending their last home game I can imagine the money is not there.

jayobray wrote: »
    They still exist, beat Sligo away 3-1 last Friday night

Great game to be at.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Actually see the front wall of the grounds have been condemned by the council and railings placed in front of them (as if that will stop the wall falling down).

Wonder if they will do something with it.

Ground in an awful state but with 300 attending their last home game I can imagine the money is not there.

Would it not be up to the council to sort out that wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Would it not be up to the council to sort out that wall?

Yes you are probably right but the notice was from the council to the club, so I'm not sure who's responsible. After all wouldn't the club pay for ground improvements and not the council?

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Yes you are probably right but the notice was from the council to the club, so I'm not sure who's responsible. After all wouldn't the club pay for ground improvements and not the council?

Inside the ground the club should pay. The external wall I would say the council.

Long time no post. Season has gone somewhat decent, so let's hope it remains that way.

Cup semi final on Sunday week, hopefully a good crowd shows up, but Cork have an extra allocation of tickets. So please get out and support them (I'm in Cork myself and can't make it up)

Advertisement