Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topaz filling station Blacklion

Options
  • 16-12-2014 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

A staff member in the Esso filling station in Blacklion told me this morning that the reason the pumps are cordoned off is because the tanks are empty as the place has been sold to Topaz.
    Assuming this is correct Denis Obrien will have motor fuel monopoly in Greystones, whether this will result in higher prices at the pumps relative to the nearest filling stations will remain to be seen....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Topaz have taken over all the Esso stations in Ireland, not just Greystones. Old news.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I never buy petrol or diesel in Greystones anyway, the prices are always higher than surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Alun wrote: »
    Topaz have taken over all the Esso stations in Ireland, not just Greystones. Old news.

Is it really? Gosh! Best make sure all future posts are bang up to the minute so....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

I fill up regularly at Topaz stations as I bought into the whole extra miles per gallon and clean diesel adverts. Even have a loyalty tag.
    Now I see Topaz monopolising the market I think I will opt for another brand.
    Anyone recommend an alternative available locally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    A staff member in the Esso filling station in Blacklion told me this morning that the reason the pumps are cordoned off is because the tanks are empty as the place has been sold to Topaz.
    Assuming this is correct Denis Obrien will have motor fuel monopoly in Greystones, whether this will result in higher prices at the pumps relative to the nearest filling stations will remain to be seen....

Does O'Brien own TOP? Didn't think so. Filling station in Greystones is TOP oil.
    http://www.top.ie/abouttop.aspx

• Advertisement

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Does O'Brien own TOP? Didn't think so. Filling station in Greystones is TOP oil.
    http://www.top.ie/abouttop.aspx

Relieving Leo of a Xmas tree this morning outside the cinema and this topic came up, he didn't know about Blacklion either, and looking across the road the station is most definitely Topaz....

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Apple green further down n11 on Cullemnore is worth the five minutes if on n11. Greystones SS are rip off. Even topaz in Kilmacanogue much cheaper and that's in a prime spot to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sasso wrote: »
    Apple green further down n11 on Cullemnore is worth the five minutes if on n11. Greystones SS are rip off. Even topaz in Kilmacanogue much cheaper and that's in a prime spot to charge.
    I usually don't bother for the odd cent tbh, and I don't monitor prices myself either, but pumps.ie is showing identical prices for petrol for all the Greystones stations and both stations in Kilmac, i.e. 139.9.

The real concern is the price rises when Topaz monopolise the market. We all can remember the price Hikes in the Esso station when the Shell garage closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

So the esso won't be the esso and with the shell station no longer being the shell station it's getting so confusing.

I really find it hard to keep up with all of these changes in Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the esso has generally been 1c cheaper than topaz, but has been the same the last couple of weeks.

Greystones isn't an island, most people are outside the town at some point each week if they want to fill up elsewhere. The whole of north Wicklow and south Dublin is expensive though, petrol is currently 10c cheaper in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Great, I bought into the Esso Fuels Progress bumf and think I was getting better MPGs. Anyway, I've always found Topaz to be 2 cent dearer than most places nearby so seeing as it's going to be pretty much a monopoly, it may be worth signing up for AA membership/insurance and getting that 2 cent back per litre!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

So did Topaz buy out TOP Oil too???
    5951111306_12cb479713_z.jpgDSC_6950 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Maybe it was a change of franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

They are all cheaper than Patterson was.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

5951111306_12cb479713_z.jpgDSC_6950 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

TOPAZ logo on signs today. John, that picture must be dated. Prices have changed as well.

A small independant station that maybe folk on the south side of Greystones might consider particularly if heading for an N11 journey would be the Ultima place in Kilpedder, being independant it's always going to be dearer but for someone who didn't want to support the multinationals it might be a choice.

Can get to it quickly up the Farrenkelly road, through the underpass, straight through the roundabout and left at the next one and there you are... And they do household fuel as well, kill two birds with one stone..

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

A small independant station that maybe folk on the south side of Greystones might consider particularly if heading for an N11 journey would be the Ultima place in Kilpedder, being independant it's always going to be dearer but for someone who didn't want to support the multinationals it might be a choice.

Can get to it quickly up the Farrenkelly road, through the underpass, straight through the roundabout and left at the next one and there you are... And they do household fuel as well, kill two birds with one stone..

I find that garage is usually the cheapest in the area. I use them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its pretty damn likely that the competition authority will force divestment in any areas with monopolies, Maxol or Texaco being the likely buyers but Applegreen and Campus are both growing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I'm another for Ultima in Kilpedder - if it's lashing they even fill up your tank for you if they're not busy and very nice and chatty of a grumpy Monday morning

• Advertisement

:o
    You are correct, Topaz in Greystones and Blacklion. I hadn't noticed the one in Greystones had changed, apologies for doubting.:o

Hey listen, no need for apologies , it was Leo pointed it out to me, I wouldn't mind but there is a feckin' big logo in your face when you turn for church road after coming down Jink's hill! Familiarity breeds contempt and all that...:D

I used to fill up at Ultima back in the days of really high 1.60+ per litre pricing everywhere as it was them who would be cheapest. The petrol is cheaper, but is it as good as the main brands? I have always wondered about the grade of petrol being sold by any petrol station - is there any sure-fire way of finding out whose grade petrol is better? That way you can make an informed decision on who to buy from, and this will prompt the retailers to ensure they are giving a quality product at a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Someone in the business once told me that prices are determined by where the petrol station is in relation to the supplier - that's why you get random petrol stations in the middle of nowhere with really cheap petrol. Don't know the truth of that though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This always makes for an interesting read.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

2011 wrote: »
    This always makes for an interesting read.

Bloody hell - that's some price difference - should sticky that one.
    Checked out the Scalp, use it quite a bit, good savings there compared to the local area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

zanador wrote: »
    Someone in the business once told me that prices are determined by where the petrol station is in relation to the supplier - that's why you get random petrol stations in the middle of nowhere with really cheap petrol. Don't know the truth of that though

That wouldn't be true these days.
    There is a tiny mark up on a litre of petrol / home heating oil, so it's sale quantity that counts.
    The small country random petrol station is usually part of a large chain, they just haven't changed the signage.

For example Applegreen have owned the scalp petrol station for at least 6 years, but the signage us only up about 3 years.
    But the petrol has been really cheap since they took over.
    A lot of the larger chains don't make money on the petrol, it's the shop sales that make their profit.

Each Chain has it's own delivery tankers that travel all over the country. Unless they'e a huge and have a depot in mayo for example.

The fuel suppliers change prices on a Wed and Fri, and generally know the evening of the day before if it's going up or down, so if you're making a large purchase, you could phone them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A staff member in the Esso filling station in Blacklion told me this morning that the reason the pumps are cordoned off is because the tanks are empty as the place has been sold to Topaz....
    "Well they would say that wouldn't they".
    In other news, a number of people around Greystones have had their cars break down, and been told by mechanics that the engines have been damaged by contaminated fuel.
    Petrol stretching...its a thing.

I watch my MPGs and from filling up at Esso I would have spotted problems. They would have been a regular fill up point for me only that they haven't been competitive on price as Esso in Kilmac recently.

• Advertisement

My every day transport is diesel but my competition car and a couple of high performance motorbikes have always run perfectly on the petrol from either Esso or whatever is being sold at Centra at the time, in fact I was doing some engine work on the car this morning and it's in great shape and running particularly well.
    I try to fuel from a large station with a well know brand when in unfamiliar towns, avoiding whatever appears to be a Micky mouse outfit..probably a bit unfair, but probably a bit paranoid as well..:)

Advertisement