Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pension query?

Options
  • 16-12-2014 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, would appreciate any info if possible.My Dad worked for a company for 18 years and took redundancy back in 1982.He also took money from his pension, at this stage, not even sure whether he waived his pension or not.The thing is my Dad passed away last year and would now be 66 years old.Would he benefit from any pensionable income for the 18 years of work when he would have reached his pension age.Again, need help on this and not so sure of the full facts at the minute.Does the contribution of the company seize when pension is waived or does it continue to pensionable age.Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭SBarrett

When your dad was made redundant, did he waive his right to a pension tax free lump sum? If so, all he did was take his lump sum when he was made redundant. He would still be entitled to a regular pension. Did he ever get paid this? If not, there is a lump sum of money there that he is entitled to.

If he was in receive a pension, there may be a spouse's pension payable if he bought one at the beginning. If he didn't, the pension is finished.

The executor of his estate should have seen whether there was regular pension payments being paid into his bank account when tidying up his affairs.

There is a bit more work involved for you on this one.

Steven

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Revolver76

SBarrett wrote: »
    When your dad was made redundant, did he waive his right to a pension tax free lump sum? If so, all he did was take his lump sum when he was made redundant. He would still be entitled to a regular pension. Did he ever get paid this? If not, there is a lump sum of money there that he is entitled to.

If he was in receive a pension, there may be a spouse's pension payable if he bought one at the beginning. If he didn't, the pension is finished.

The executor of his estate should have seen whether there was regular pension payments being paid into his bank account when tidying up his affairs.

There is a bit more work involved for you on this one.

Steven
    Thanks a mill Steven.To be honest my Mam is in the process of ringing his old job to find out did he waive his pension.Until we find out this we know for sure how to go about things.Anyway much appreciated advice.I definitely think my Dad never received any monies from this pension.He passed away just short of his 65th birthday.

Advertisement