Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop reboots after shutdown

Options
  • 16-12-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a custom built desktop and I'm have some problems with it. Basically every time I press shut down, sleep or hibernate the computer turns off and then instantly reboots. I have to force shut down by holding in the power button. I have cleared the cmos several times and that's not worked.

The only thing that has worked to date is turning off fast start up in my power options. However this only allows me to turn off. When I try to hibernate or sleep it still reboots.

Also another issue that's came about is that my power button on my case is now jammed and wont work so I'm turning it on from the on/off on the PSU. The computer will boot for a second then turn off and it takes several on/off attempts to get the pc to turn back on. I'm wondering is this due to the jammed button on the case though.

Any advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Spec:
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 Box, LGA1150
    ASRock B85 Pro4, LGA 1150, ATX,
    16GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    MSI N760 TwinFrozr 2GD5 / OC, 2GB DDR5
    Crucial 256GB SSD MX100 2.5 "(7mm)
    Corsair Builder Series CX500 V3 Non-Modular 80 + Bronze, 500 Watt
    Nanoxia Deep Silence DS 3 Dark Black without PSU
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb /

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Try removing the power button wiring from the motherboard header. A stuck power-on signal will cause all sorts of weird problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Try disabling all power management in the BIOS

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zeppelin67

uch wrote: »
    Try disabling all power management in the BIOS

So I've changed the wiring on the motherboard to power up when I hit the reset button and I've disabled all power management in the BIOS but still no use.

Right now it is shutting down just fine but when I try to use hibernate or sleep the pc reboots once it shuts down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭whizbang

I have seen windows cause this problem;
    goto each and every device in Device Manager, uncheck 'Allow this device to wake computer' This will probably sort it. Also try uncheck 'Allow windows to turn off this device'

Display drivers are notorious for causing shutdown issues, but maybe not what you have.

there was also an issue with windows not recognising the motherboard power features. Try replace all the relevant drivers with manufacturers versions.

can also be caused by the particular SSD, or even a memory issue

Advertisement