Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another unfair ban from Breastfeeding thread

Options
  • 16-12-2014 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

Hello.

I've been banned from Afterhours, for posting in the Breastfeeding in public thread for the reason of "trolling".

I dispute I was trolling.

It's completely clear I was not trolling, if you take a look at my posts they are not trolling, they are just arguing a counter point.

No poster has accused me of trolling.

The ban is (apparently) down to this single post:
    Honestly as I keep saying, I don't care about breastfeeding in public or otherwise. All I tried to do was point out a hypocrisy.

When I bothered to post in this the thread was already 30+ pages long with everyone who disagreed with the mothers being banned (5 posters at last count) so I posted. Mild entertainment. Nothing sexual about breastfeeding there although you can keep shouting it all you like.

And whoever it was said about crying was right, I'd obviously much rather a baby be breastfed than crying, that actually is annoying but that's what babies do when they're babies so what can you do.

Anyway we're totally circular now, I point to double standard, I get replies about the benefits of breastfeeding, and round and round. So I'll bow out here, all good.
    Feed on.

I have already engaged the banning mod as per process.

I've explained that

1) I did not say that I didn't care about the entire topic. Over 40 pages, the subject has gone in different directions as is natural of a conversation. The point I was making over the previous 2 or 3 pages was about a double standard some people have when it comes to breastfeeding and other things.
    I was highlighting that that was my point, and not an issue with public displays of breasts as was inferred by another poster.
    All posters understood this, except the mod.

2) When I said I was there for mild entertainment I was illustrating that I did not feel as strongly as others did in the thread -plenty are going bananas calling everyone gobsh*tes and so on, and previous to this 5 had been banned for comparing breastfeeding to going to the toilet - I'm not either of these types and that was my point. Again this was understood by other posters as far as I know.

3) Was told I had a swipe at the moderators. I did not. My point is exactly as above, I didn't say anything negative or otherwise about the moderators.

Below is a paste of the PM's between myself and Humanji to save time.

I have been banned incorrectly.

It's odd and bordering on bizarre that 5 or 6 bans can be handed out in one thread to people on one side of argument without anyone questioning the moderators impartiality, but I'll leave that for yourselves.

Can my ban be looked into though? I hope I've made my points clear above and below.
    humanji wrote:
    Take it to the DRP forum.
    nm wrote:
    The thread and subject go a lot further over 40+ pages than the 4 words in the title.
    You know that, or if you've read it, you do.

I said mild entertainment as I'm illustrating that I don't feel as strongly about it as others do, and breastfeeding does not in itself, bother me.

This is all pretty clear to the other posters, no one has accused me of being a troll besides yourself.

I've hopefully explained myself, and you're not just twisting your understanding of my post to suit what you want to do anyway.

There is no "swipe" at moderators in the post either. What I said was 5 people were banned [as in with stronger feelings on it than I - I am not one of the ones that compared it to toilets or 'whipping them out'], and this is a fact. This also, only seem to offend you, no one else has issue with it and it most certainly is not trolling.

I offered a different point of view and was banned, that's what it seems like.

humanji wrote:
    You said:
    Honestly as I keep saying, I don't care about breastfeeding in public or otherwise.

How is that showing an interest in a topic called "Breastfeeding in Public Places"? You don't care for the subject. As you said:
    All I tried to do was point out a hypocrisy.

So you don't care about the subject, you just want to argue for the sake of it. and then call it:
    Mild entertainment.

And you add in an extra swipe at your perception of moderation.

There's no harm offering a different viewpoint of the actual topic, but if you're just there to argue for mild amusement, then it's trolling.

nm wrote:
    I did not say I didn't care about the topic in full, I said I did not get offended by breastfeeding. The hypocrisy I referred to was complete on-topic, it is that of breastfeeding mothers sense of entitlement.

That is NOT trolling. That is joining a conversation, offering a viewpoint on a part of it, which is on topic, and doing so is quite normal.

Some in there feel more strongly about it than others, it hardly makes any viewpoint differing from your own or the mainstream view trolling.

It's quite clear from my history on boards that I'm not a troll.

humanji wrote:
    You openly say you don't care about the topic. And that you posted for mild entertainment. That's trolling. You're just getting enjoyment from winding people up. It doesn't matter if it's pointing out hypocrisy, it's still trolling for a reaction.
    nm wrote:
    I'm clearly alluding to the fact that everyone is ganging up on one side of the argument. I did not say anything negative about the bans, or the moderators.

I pointed out clearly in my post that my point was to point out the hypocrisy of their argument. Not to troll.

Take a look again with the above in mind, and consider re-considering please.

humanji wrote:
    Honestly as I keep saying, I don't care about breastfeeding in public or otherwise. All I tried to do was point out a hypocrisy.

When I bothered to post in this the thread was already 30+ pages long with everyone who disagreed with the mothers being banned (5 posters at last count) so I posted. Mild entertainment.

Certainly looks like trolling to me. And put that with bitching about moderation again, after being told personally and having warning posts on the thread, it's a fairly clear cut ban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hello,

It's more than that one simple post though.

Lets have a look. There were two distinctive mod comments previously on the thread that where directed at you personally.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    nm wrote: »
    It actually appears to be just one group of mothers from another forum pushing one opinion, and the mods banning anyone with a different opinion.

MOD

If you have a problem with Mod actions take it to Cmods, Help desk or feedback. This isn't the place for it

Back on topic please

and

Mod

nm banned because despite being infracted and told not to discuss mod actions on thread, he continued to do so.

As far as I can see, no mod has given their opinion on this issue on this thread so how we can be accused of bias is beyond me. We certainly haven't banned everyone arguing against breastfeeding in public and we would have no interest in doing so, we have simply banned those who are unlikely to actually care about this subject but who are posting purely to wind people up. i.e. Trolling.

PM me or any of the other mods if further clarification is needed.

I have noted that you objected to the ban but let it run out.
    nm wrote: »
    When I bothered to post in this the thread was already 30+ pages long with everyone who disagreed with the mothers being banned (5 posters at last count) so I posted. Mild entertainment.

This is really the crux of the issue. Now, on the face of it, it could be innocent enough but with the warnings already given, it does come across like you have an axe to grind.

I also note that you seem to think the banning mod only banned you because he was offended by what your view point is. You said the very same about another mod. Maybe it's not them.

Also, if you wish to reproduce PMs, please do so in all their entirety.

What you call "Mild entertainment" I would call winding people up for the craic of it. Commenting on mod actions on thread isn't allowed and even after you were told this you continued to do so. When different mods interact with you, you accuse them of bias. That's not good.

I suggest we start afresh, you let it go and we all move on. If you are down with that, I shall lift the ban with immediate effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

whoopsadaisydoodles ban was invalid as it came in at the same time as the warning.

I'll also add that I'm not accusing them as bias for banning me specifically, but for banning everyone on one side of that argument while ignoring the other sides slattings completely. I still don't get why that is, and I've been banned for questioning it apparently (and not trolling as as originally stated).
    Also, if you wish to reproduce PMs, please do so in all their entirety.

Unless I missed something at the very start or the very end, that should be a copy and paste of the body. Have you heard otherwise?

I will let it go though, agreed.

Advertisement