Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PIR Light for inside garage, one that plugs into mains

Options
  • 16-12-2014 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭

I have been looking around for a sensor light for inside my garage which will plug into the mains via an ordinary plug, as I have loads of plug sockets available.

I can't see to find one.

I don't want a battery one or one that's hardwired into the electric.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have been looking around for a sensor light for inside my garage which will plug into the mains via an ordinary plug, as I have loads of plug sockets available.

I can't see to find one.

I don't want a battery one or one that's hardwired into the electric.

If your any way handy just buy the light you want, use 3x1.5mm white flex connect it to light on one end and your 3pin plug on the other.

You can plug it in and out then like you want.

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I have been looking around for a sensor light for inside my garage which will plug into the mains via an ordinary plug, as I have loads of plug sockets available. I can't see to find one. I don't want a battery one or one that's hardwired into the electric.

I know what you're talking about... I bought one of those fixed mains outdoor lights.. the cheaper ones that were going for about a tenner in B and Q... And I didnt want to fix it in to the mains until I was sure it was worth the whole ten quid I'd spend on it.. :pac:

So I wired the three wires from the light in to a regular plug with three core wire (of the appropriate power cable, and appopriate fuse on the plug), and then simply plugged it in to the mains like a desk lamp... When I tested it out for a few weeks and found it was okay, I then hard wired it in to the mains...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thats exactly what I mean, mine will be going into the garage, handy at this time of year that it would come on automatically as I enter to fill the coal buckets!

Anyway, I opened it up there, and I see there are 4 plugs. There's N, Earth, L and L1.

Can I use either of the L's or whats the 2nd one for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

I remember having the same issue with mine when I was doing it... You will need to look up the manual for your particular light to see where you put the three wires.. What is the model of the light?

There were two lives on mine as well ... one is the supply to the sensor (from my mains wires), and the second one is a supply of live from the sensor relay to the light.... And they all share the Earth and Neutral.. I'm sure that yours is similar but it's best to look up your particular products manual to be sure..

• Site Banned Posts: 180 ✭✭kellymick39

Can you now just wire a normal light switch plate and a ceiling rose light?
    As you open garage door you turn on light switch on the wall as you enter the garage to get the coal.

• Advertisement

Seen as there is allready power in the garage,can you now just wire a normal light switch plate and a ceiling rose light?
    A light switch plate,backbox,ceiling rose,cfl bulb and a few meters of blue artic flex will be about 15 euro to buy.Wire it up and you have a proper internal garage light.
    As you open garage door you turn on light switch on the wall as you enter the garage to get the coal and you have your light.How cool is that then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

you will find pir don't work well if you use garage a lot

just put switch at door

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/276-6518241-7944321?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=garage%20light%20pir

There is already a 5ft fluro light on the ceiling, and a single bulb further towards the back, but the light switches for these are halfway up the garage wall and awkward to get to due to the amount of junk I usually have in the way!

That's why I was thinking of having a PIR light that wouldgive me light until I got through to the switches, or else be suitable for those short trips to the garage when I wouldn't be putting on the permanent lights at all.

I know that having a switch just as I go in the door would be handy as well, but I don't think as handy as a light that comes on itself. Thanks for all the feedback though.

There is already a 5ft fluro light on the ceiling, and a single bulb further towards the back, but the light switches for these are halfway up the garage wall and awkward to get to due to the amount of junk I usually have in the way!

That's why I was thinking of having a PIR light that wouldgive me light until I got through to the switches, or else be suitable for those short trips to the garage when I wouldn't be putting on the permanent lights at all.

I know that having a switch just as I go in the door would be handy as well, but I don't think as handy as a light that comes on itself. Thanks for all the feedback though.

Relocate the switches to the entrance door of the garage and place them on the wall right beside the garage door.

Place a spur where the existing switch location is and then run a length of blue 1.5 artic cable in some conduit from the spur to the door.Then put on a surface back box and wire up the switch plate there beside the garage door.You would do that in a matter of 20 minutes if you clear some stuff out of the way.This way as you open the door all you have to do is press the light switch as you walk in.

Failing all that just buy a rechargeable led light batton and use it when you go to the garage to get some coal.These are very popular with car mechanics.You will pick one up in Lidl and Aldi for 12 euro,they are very bright and last a long time from a single charge.

• Advertisement

Thanks, might go with 2nd option, as 1st will require getting a spark in as I am a total dumbo wrt electricity, and I don't want a nasty accident, although it does sound handy.

Thanks, might go with 2nd option, as 1st will require getting a spark in as I am a total dumbo wrt electricity, and I don't want a nasty accident, although it does sound handy.
    Aldi are selling off a plug in pir night light and torch system at the moment.Its a bright night light and also a wide angle torch if you want it to be.It gives off a reasonable amount of light and a good wide spread of light.You plug in the pir base and then you sit the nite light torch unit into it.When its not being activated by the pir,the unit charges the torch so that you can take it with you and use it as a torch.Its about 12 euro in Aldi,Woodies sell it too but they want 20 euro for it.
    It might sort you out until you relocate the light switch plates in your garage.

Advertisement