Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco IP Phone 7945

• 16-12-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi

Someone gave me two Cisco IP Phones (7945) as a present. I am kinda curious if I can use them at home as is and just configure a service provider like Blueface?

I've dug around a bit and setup seems a bit involved, and that I might need Cisco Communications Manager Express to get it going?

Here's hoping that it's not really that complicated :)

Any advice appreciated
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

You'll need to download the sip firmware. When you login could you take a screenshot of the current version and I can direct you. Not that familiar with that model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ikoonman

Mr. G wrote: »
    You'll need to download the sip firmware. When you login could you take a screenshot of the current version and I can direct you. Not that familiar with that model

I neglected to mention that they are 2nd hand - the one has been factory reset so that is waiting for a TFTPD connection, the other phone boots up, but I cannot access the phone settings. Bar the user settings, everything else is grayed out. I tried unlocking (using **#) but that the options remain unavailable, and I don't know how to fix it. Would the features become available only once the phone successfully registers?

Is there any other way to check and see what the firmware version is? Alternatively, if I can unlock the settings I can see what that phone's firmware version is (assuming its same for both), or maybe go back to a previous version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

ikoonman wrote: »
    I neglected to mention that they are 2nd hand - the one has been factory reset so that is waiting for a TFTPD connection, the other phone boots up, but I cannot access the phone settings. Bar the user settings, everything else is grayed out. I tried unlocking (using **#) but that the options remain unavailable, and I don't know how to fix it. Would the features become available only once the phone successfully registers?

Is there any other way to check and see what the firmware version is? Alternatively, if I can unlock the settings I can see what that phone's firmware version is (assuming its same for both), or maybe go back to a previous version?

Try to do a factory reset using steps below

Step 1 Unplug the power cable from the phone and then plug it back in.

The phone begins its power-up cycle.

Step 2 While the phone is powering up, and before the Speaker button flashes on and off,

press and hold #.

Continue to hold # until each line button flashes on and off in sequence in amber.

Step 3 Release # and press 123456789*0#.

You can press a key twice in a row, but if you press the keys out of sequence, the factory reset will not take place.

After you press these keys, the line buttons on the phone flash red, and the phone goes through the factory reset process.

The pin should be **# to unlock after the phone restarts.

You should be able to edit the TFTP server and put your version of Cisco software for SIP on the server.

PM me if you need help with TFTP and software..

slegs wrote: »
    The pin should be **# to unlock after the phone restarts.

Hi

The phone reset but when the phone came back on the screen displays the Cisco logo, along with the MAC addresse and words "Upgrade". (First phone - see attachment)

The pin doesn't nothing on either phone. On 2nd phone (attached) some of the features are still unavailable.

Is there another way to check what the firmware version is??

:)

Mr. G wrote: »
    When you login could you take a screenshot of the current version and I can direct you.l

Hi - Million dollar question! See attachments on previous message :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

ikoonman wrote: »
    Hi

The phone reset but when the phone came back on the screen displays the Cisco logo, along with the MAC addresse and words "Upgrade". (First phone - see attachment)

The pin doesn't nothing on either phone. On 2nd phone (attached) some of the features are still unavailable.

Is there another way to check what the firmware version is??

:)

The first phone is actually trying to download a firmware so you should try a factory reset like above to set it back to default and then leave plugged out of Internet

The second phone just needs to be unlocked so you can access all menu items. Unlock is one of the menu items and then you enter the pin

slegs wrote: »
    The first phone is actually trying to download a firmware so you should try a factory reset like above to set it back to default and then leave plugged out of Internet

Yep - I followed your instructions to the T - just goes back to the upgrade screen and nothing is happening (even with network cable unplugged).

Unless, of course, I am doing something wrong ...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Can you get to the web gui of either?

Advertisement